Recruiting Impacts of Conference Expansion

billdozer15

I have been thinking about the possible recruiting impacts of this recent round of conference expansion and wanted to know what you guys think.

With the Big12 basically becoming Tejas, OU and everyone else will the Big12N recruiting grounds become more favorable to NU and Iowa? I think kids are going to be more apt to wanting to play for a competitive team in a competitive conference rather than wanting to pay to play on the same field as Tejas. The remaining B12N really have no shot at even being competitive in the new Big12.

I think Iowa and NU could benefit from a multitude of players from Kansas, Missouri and even Iowa. Especially if Iowa and ISU drop their game basically rendering ISU irrelevent in the state of Iowa. We could be looking at open season at players that once would have went to KU, MU, ISU, KSU. If this does happen I wouldnt be surprised to see Iowa and NU challenging for Big10 titles and NC's often.

I hadn’t thought of that, but I certainly can’t find any holes in it. If the divisions end up being Iowa/Wisc/Neb vs. PSU/OSU/Mich, that could certainly help the west schools become bigger powers. There is a lot more FB talent in KC and STL than Iowa and Nebraska.

I have been thinking about the possible recruiting impacts of this recent round of conference expansion and wanted to know what you guys think.

With the Big12 basically becoming Tejas, OU and everyone else will the Big12N recruiting grounds become more favorable to NU and Iowa? I think kids are going to be more apt to wanting to play for a competitive team in a competitive conference rather than wanting to pay to play on the same field as Tejas. The remaining B12N really have no shot at even being competitive in the new Big12.

I think Iowa and NU could benefit from a multitude of players from Kansas, Missouri and even Iowa. Especially if Iowa and ISU drop their game basically rendering ISU irrelevent in the state of Iowa. We could be looking at open season at players that once would have went to KU, MU, ISU, KSU. If this does happen I wouldnt be surprised to see Iowa and NU challenging for Big10 titles and NC's often.

I agree that it could help Iowa and Nebraska recruit in Mo and Ks. Nebraska might get a road into Mn and make things a little tougher for us there.

Even if Iowa and Nebraska don't benefit a lot, I do think that ISU, Missouri, Kansas, and K-State are going to be hurt by the recent Big12 movements.

And if Iowa were to drop ISU, I think that could really hurt ISU recruiting. Not only here in Iowa, but overall.

I hadn’t thought of that, but I certainly can’t find any holes in it. If the divisions end up being Iowa/Wisc/Neb vs. PSU/OSU/Mich, that could certainly help the west schools become bigger powers. There is a lot more FB talent in KC and STL than Iowa and Nebraska.

Um, but there is also WAY more talent in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, than KC, STL, and Iowa. Better hope the divisions don't break down this way.

The way I see it, we could certainly start to see improved depth charts across the board. The ability to hit a homerun should improve and the ability to add more quality players to the 2nd and 3rd strings is tremendous.

I just imagine what could happen if recruits the caliber of Kerry Meirs, Todd Reesing, Blaine Gabbert, Austen Arnaud and the whole laundry list of decent to good players at these other B12N schools decide it just isnt worth their time to get their brains beat in, in a top heavy conference. Why not move up the road a little ways to Lincoln or Iowa City to play for a team in a conference where you have a good to decent chance of winning.

Um, but there is also WAY more talent in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, than KC, STL, and Iowa. Better hope the divisions don't break down this way.

I never said the talent was better than the eastern part of the Big Ten, nor did I imply it. I said it would help the teams in the west side, with additional recruiting areas.

I never said the talent was better than the eastern part of the Big Ten, nor did I imply it. I said it would help the teams in the west side, with additional recruiting areas.

Yeah there would be no reason why you would stop recruting talent rich areas. The vacuum that could be created in our own backyard could logically be filled by the two most stable programs in the area, NU and Iowa. I could certainly go for picking up a couple of 4* kids each year who would have otherwise gone to KU or Mizzou.

Its not a gaurantee this will pan out this way, because I am sure alot of kids just want a chance at playing. But for some it might work out this way. Either way, the destabilizing of the B12 cant hurt us on the recruiting front especially when you ask that kid if he wants to be a doormat or be the one standing on the doormat.

I think you're right on. Both of these programs rely on this region, and if recruits in this area realize (correctly) that the B12 is on shaky ground, it can only help.

On the other hand, with NU out of the picture, ISU is now the premier Big 12 football team in the upper midwest. This will cerainly enhance ISU recruiting in the northern region...the Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska (all of which have provided excellent talent to ISU over the past 20 years). Iowa, on the other hand, now has a recruiting rival offering all that Iowa (Big Ten affiliation, etc.) does plus Nebraska's storied past.

The Big 12 is still the Big 12...its name brand and reputation remain intact and that is an appeal that will always draw recruiting interest. If anything, ISU is improved its potential for recruiting by removing a rival recruiter from the conference.

So its all in how you look at it. =)

On the other hand, with NU out of the picture, ISU is now the premier Big 12 football team in the upper midwest. This will cerainly enhance ISU recruiting in the northern region...the Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska (all of which have provided excellent talent to ISU over the past 20 years). Iowa, on the other hand, now has a recruiting rival offering all that Iowa (Big Ten affiliation, etc.) does plus Nebraska's storied past.

The Big 12 is still the Big 12...its name brand and reputation remain intact and that is an appeal that will always draw recruiting interest. If anything, ISU is improved its potential for recruiting by removing a rival recruiter from the conference.

I suppose, but I just dont see it your way. The Big12 is now Tejas and everyone else. The sole reason for ISU, KSU, KU and MU's existence is to pad the W column for TU and OU. This may not be realized immediately but this destabilization is not a good thing for these remaining schools.

If ISU and Iowa discontinue their series, ISU will be irrelevant in the state of Iowa. The Hawk, NU game will become so large that ISU will be all but forgotten in the area.

Like it or not all of Iowa, Nebraska the Dakotas most of Kansas and Mizzouri just became Big10 country. After a few years of obscurity in the new Big12 the forgotten 5 are going to wish they had their souls back.

Missouri and Kansas both have better programs than ISU. and with Snyder back at KSU, they probably will too. Missouri has another Top 25 recruiting class lined up, while ISU is somehwere around 60, again.

Unless by "premier Big 12 football program in the upper midwest," you really meant "only Big 12 football program north of Missouri and Kansas."

HA HA HA HA HO Ho Ho Ho Oh my side hurts.

Mizzou and Kansas rarely recruit up north. Their focus is KC, St. Louis and Texas.

And billso, Iowa/NU fans see things as Texas and everyone else...to the rest of the world, its the Big 12 football conference. One of the best football league's in America.

Mizzou and Kansas rarely recruit up north. Their focus is KC, St. Louis and Texas.

And billso, Iowa/NU fans see things as Texas and everyone else...to the rest of the world, its the Big 12 football conference. One of the best football league's in America.

I see you have been speaking with Jaime Pollard. LOL. I guess we will see where we both stand about 5 years from now.

Yes we will. And most likely things will seem identical to what they are now....though a Rhoad's coached ISU program will be a good bit stronger than today's version.

That perception is not limited to Iowa and NU fans. That's how how Texas fans and college football fans around the nation view it (outside of the remaining 9 teams' fans in the conference, including Oklahoma). Texas is the clear puppetmaster.

After Nebraska and Colorado leave, what great football programs are their in the Big 12, other than Texas and Oklahoma?

Yes we will. And most likely things will seem identical to what they are now....though a Rhoad's coached ISU program will be a good bit stronger than today's version.

You're right about that, I am confident you will remain in the basement of the Big12-2.

Latest posts