Recruiting Ban List

So Glad to NOT be banned and even more so to get Olaseni! I have been saying all along that Fran needed to turn the recruiting around quickly to survive and people have hammered me thinking that I was being critical. I kept saying it was only critical if you didn't think he could do it.

This class has now become very respectful and the type on which you can build. With Meyer, if he can get Woodbury to come on board he will have three legitimate big men who can move.

He gets the instant contributor in Hubbard that he needs, as well as a better distribution of scholarships.

With White he gets a very fluid big, with a soft shot and plenty of room to grow.

With Og's he gets a spot up shooter to stretch the D, who will not need to be the focus of the offense.

Now, all he needs is a starting PG, and he can then start to build depth.

Good day to be a Hawk

I don't think people have any idea what kind of miracle Fran and staff have pulled off if they have a winning season and qualify for the NIT or the Dance next yr. I agree with you that recruiting is essential but developing them is just as important if not more, but I disagree that Fran had to get it done in one yr or he was doomed.

I do think that next Nov 15 signing date is important,as it is the first class where Fran had time to develope relationships.
There will be no on-court proof of his coaching before then so getting some players this spring was huge just to show summer recruits the program is on the move.

I do think that next Nov 15 signing date is important,as it is the first class where Fran had time to develope relationships.
There will be no on-court proof of his coaching before then so getting some players this spring was huge just to show summer recruits the program is on the move.

I completely agree. Now, we have to get these guys here and in PTL, so that they can dominate and pull our big guy and our PG.

I don't think people have any idea what kind of miracle Fran and staff have pulled off if they have a winning season and qualify for the NIT or the Dance next yr. I agree with you that recruiting is essential but developing them is just as important if not more, but I disagree that Fran had to get it done in one yr or he was doomed.

Have to disagree with you on that one. If Fran even gets Iowa to the NIT next year it will make huge ripples in the Big Ten; if somehow we get to the NCAA tourney (which I am not predicting) it will be a national story. Everyone knows how bad things had gotten during Lick's tenure even if they didn't necessarily harp on it during broadcasts, etc. Coaches and writers travel in small circles, and there's sort of an unwritten rule that you don't point out when someone is flopping even when it's plain for everyone to see.

It kind of reminds me of the Timberwolves right now, where people around the NBA widely acknowledge that the team is a poorly run embarrassment even if they aren't going to make a big deal about it publicly. Except for Chris Webber, of course.

Have to disagree with you on that one. If Fran even gets Iowa to the NIT next year it will make huge ripples in the Big Ten; if somehow we get to the NCAA tourney (which I am not predicting) it will be a national story. Everyone knows how bad things had gotten during Lick's tenure even if they didn't necessarily harp on it during broadcasts, etc. Coaches and writers travel in small circles, and there's sort of an unwritten rule that you don't point out when someone is flopping even when it's plain for everyone to see.

It kind of reminds me of the Timberwolves right now, where people around the NBA widely acknowledge that the team is a poorly run embarrassment even if they aren't going to make a big deal about it publicly. Except for Chris Webber, of course.

great point, i was talking about the fans on this forum that insisted that Fran had 1-2 yrs to turn this around or he would be doomed, If we get to either tourney in his 2nd season it will be a miracle, I was hoping by yr 4 or 5. Look at Northwestern, I don't think people realize how far down the Hawks BB program sank under Lick.

:D We got Olesani
:( I b banned.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6GuEswXOXo]YouTube - 32 D'oh's in 15 Seconds[/ame]

If we can land Gessell and Woodbury in the fall, that would be huge. If that happens, we can really pull out all stops on Jok for 2013. We land HIM, and we are firmly in business under Fran!

If we can land Gessell and Woodbury in the fall, that would be huge. If that happens, we can really pull out all stops on Jok for 2013. We land HIM, and we are firmly in business under Fran!

Jelon Hornbeak is the guy for 2012 Iowa should go all-in on, ranked in the Top 50.

How many people does Fran go after in 2012? Three or four, does the staff bank one?

Peter Jok and Akoy Agau are the two players that Iowa can make serious runs at right now, both of those players could be the final two pieces to something very special.

Never thought I would be so pleased to say ta-ta to this board for a week. It was surely worth it to be wrong! See you next Tuesday.

I didn't even remember posting in this thread but I am so happy I don't care....how long am I gone for?

"Damn I'm still here!" I feel like the guy that said that in the movie "War Games". The computer is showing nukes hitting military bases and the guys at Norad calls out to one of them. "Are you there, I repeat are you there?"

Great to still be here, but most of all great to be talking about this recruiting class.

I was pretty confident in Olesani committing, but the dark spot in the back of my mind that held some doubt led me to dread a possible ban while negativity over a lost recruit ruled the day. lol (Yes I really did laugh out loud there, to myself, all alone, very loudly over something not even funny that I just wrote- now you all know).

This is a great class for Iowa. We have added athletic ability, shooting, size and even some additional experience.

As long as Bryce stays healthy, I think we have the bodies to give him rest by committee and be fine. Most of all I think we have added the ablility to defend more like we want to, get into transition and attack.

With the B10 as a whole kind of in a rebuilding mode this year, I like this Iowa teams chances to make some noise.... this year.

Latest posts