Record in Close Games

PioHawk

I was curious, so I looked up the Hawks' records in close games (final score difference 7 or less) for the past four seasons. In 2012-13, the Hawks were 3-7 in such games, and they were 4-11 in 2013-14. This isn't too surprising given the youth/inexperience of key players in those years. Last season, they were 4-4, and while this wasn't great, it was a marked improvement and suggested that the players' experience was paying dividends. This year, we have a senior-laden team, and our record in such games in 3-6. If I hadn't seen the games and how the team seems to react when things get tight, I obviously would have expected this record to be better. For the past 4 years, this is a composite 14-28 in games decided by 7 points or fewer. Let's hope the team figures out how to start building bigger leads and how to keep opponents from getting close again because I'm not optimistic that their performance in close games is going to improve this year.

I was curious, so I looked up the Hawks' records in close games (final score difference 7 or less) for the past four seasons. In 2012-13, the Hawks were 3-7 in such games, and they were 4-11 in 2013-14. This isn't too surprising given the youth/inexperience of key players in those years. Last season, they were 4-4, and while this wasn't great, it was a marked improvement and suggested that the players' experience was paying dividends. This year, we have a senior-laden team, and our record in such games in 3-6. If I hadn't seen the games and how the team seems to react when things get tight, I obviously would have expected this record to be better. For the past 4 years, this is a composite 14-28 in games decided by 7 points or fewer. Let's hope the team figures out how to start building bigger leads and how to keep opponents from getting close again because I'm not optimistic that their performance in close games is going to improve this year.

This has been much discussed and well documented. There is a good story on BHGP following the Iowa St debacle.

Long story short. Fran is 17-37 (31%) as head coach at Iowa in games decided by 6 pts or less.

I should know better by now, but they will go up by 5 or 6 with 3 or 4 minutes left and they will have all the momentum.....I am thinking to myself they are about to close the door on this team and of course the opposite happens. Iowa has a meltdown and momentum swings the other way.

The fans all say uh oh when it's a close game. What do you think the players are saying. 3 years ago they were losing close games in a normal fashion. Now they just give them away. It's getting worse because the loses are adding up.

Giving the ball to MG to stand and dribble for most of the shot clock at the end of close games is a recipe for disaster. Not MG's fault.
Before MG, it was Marble, Marble may have had slightly more success as he was a much better scorer, but I doubt it provided much better results as a end of game strategy.

Vs. OSU MG dribbled waiting for Jok to come off screen when everybody on OSU could tell that was the play and only option. When that didn't work poor MG had to improvise=disaster.

Since this year's team blew out most teams in victory, this was not exposed as much until recently. Same crap as past years as noted. Again, this is Fran's issue not MG's.
He's not up to this responsibility and should not be put in this position.

I wish wish they would run their offense and attack at end of game. If they are going to run isolution late, let Uthoff or Jok be the guy you win or lose with.

Giving the ball to MG to stand and dribble for most of the shot clock at the end of close games is a recipe for disaster. Not MG's fault.
Before MG, it was Marble, Marble may have had slightly more success as he was a much better scorer, but I doubt it provided much better results as a end of game strategy.

Vs. OSU MG dribbled waiting for Jok to come off screen when everybody on OSU could tell that was the play and only option. When that didn't work poor MG had to improvise=disaster.

Since this year's team blew out most teams in victory, this was not exposed as much until recently. Same crap as past years as noted. Again, this is Fran's issue not MG's.

I wish wish they would run their offense and attack at end of game. If they are going to run isolution late, let Uthoff or Jok be the guy you win or lose with.

I agree. Limiting possessions when you are leading a close game is generally the right idea. But there is enough evidence now that these players are really bad at it.

I should know better by now, but they will go up by 5 or 6 with 3 or 4 minutes left and they will have all the momentum.....I am thinking to myself they are about to close the door on this team and of course the opposite happens. Iowa has a meltdown and momentum swings the other way.

This^^^. I honestly thought yesterday's game was over.. Grrr :(

spot on!! Exactly..

I agree. Limiting possessions when you are leading a close game is generally the right idea. But there is enough evidence now that these players are really bad at it.

Exactly so Let them play!! If Fran has the confidence to not utilize timeouts and let the players decide, than get out of the way and let them play!!!

Close games is when the really good coaches shine! They use timeouts they coach them up..

Bingo...especially to the bolded part

Exactly so Let them play!! If Fran has the confidence to not utilize timeouts and let the players decide, than get out of the way and let them play!!!

Close games is when the really good coaches shine! They use timeouts they coach them up..

I think good coaches shine in close games because it's the good coaches that attract good players and it's good players who actually shine in close games. I think Fran brought in good players, but he brought in a couple that turned into Chuck Knoblauchs.

I agree that Fran should get some of the blame for the late game collapses but I think a majority of this is on the players. He can't shoot free throws for them or knock down wide open jumpers. How many head-scratching turnovers has this senior-laden squad had in late game situations? We have a point guard who can't knock down a clutch free throw to save his life and the go-to guy on the squad just hasn't been able to knock down his open shots lately (and has missed too many free throws when he used to be automatic). What's Fran supposed to do, pull them for a bunch of freshmen at the end of the games? Don't get me wrong, I love these guys and wouldn't trade them for another roster in basketball but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. You can't coach icewater into veins.

I agree with almost everything in this thread. So here is the question.

Clearly Fran's philosphy just doesn't seem to work. There is a history. A track record of futility. Is he stubborn to a fault and is not going to deviate from that philosphy? Maybe he believes someday he will have THAT point guard who can attack and finish. Does he truly believe he has had THAT guy during his tenure here?

Or,

Is Fran just not the great basketball mind he thinks he is? Especially in regards to in-game coaching and closing out games. Because the numbers don't lie.

I agree that Fran should get some of the blame for the late game collapses but I think a majority of this is on the players. He can't shoot free throws for them or knock down wide open jumpers. How many head-scratching turnovers has this senior-laden squad had in late game situations? We have a point guard who can't knock down a clutch free throw to save his life and the go-to guy on the squad just hasn't been able to knock down his open shots lately (and has missed too many free throws when he used to be automatic). What's Fran supposed to do, pull them for a bunch of freshmen at the end of the games? Don't get me wrong, I love these guys and wouldn't trade them for another roster in basketball but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. You can't coach icewater into veins.

Yes, you have a point. Only to a degree IMO. There is the poor usage of timeouts that we see repeatedly. The bizarre substitution patterns. Or no substitutions at all. For example, both ISU and Maryland were killing us in the 2nd half with rebounding and physical play. But absolutely no Ahmed Wagner. Only to hear Fran remark after games, that yeah, he should have gotten certain guys more minutes. ???

How about offense for defense substitutions at times?

How about not starting two point guards but bringing one off the bench? Especially against bigger, more athletic teams. See Ahmed Wagner.

How about putting the ball in JU's hands at the point late in the game? At least if he gets fouled he is likely to hit his free throws. Or better yet how about running some coherent creative offense where you move and reverse the ball instead of ALL THAT DRIBBLING where things stagnate?

How about less screaming at the bench players when something bad happens on the court and instead act like you are more in control of what's actually transpiring on the court so you don't come across like a maniac? You are no Tom Izzo. Unfortunately. Only he can get away with it. You know why? Because he can actually close.

Latest posts