Recent podcast

This is a good thought. a glaring weakness though is it would be obvious to an astute kid watching the games that there is a lot of effort being left on the table at the end of the game. As well as if you can't do well, why try in re to recruiting.

Yea I was talking more in general than this specific year.

Honestly there is more life lessons with a team like Iowa than a team like Alabama. You can teach your kid how to lose with dignity. You can point out the hard working kids who defied all odds and became a D1 starter. At Alabama, kids are just handed a national championship because the team would have gotter it whether they were there or not. There are no life lessons to be learned there.

Also,I don't want my kid to be the one who likes a team just because they never lose. And I sure don't want my kid to be the kind who always wants to jump on the best team regardless of previous allegence.

Your thinking is flawed. How do you know what goes on over at Alabama? How do you know that their coach isn't going the extra mile in pushing those kids to their outer limits in practice? Case in point, why was Alabama down for over a decade even when they were getting great recruits? The current couch is doing something right in preparations and play calling. This isn't just a star thing. Iowa one year had some of the SO CALLED top recruits in the nation sign up and announce on national TV they were going to Iowa. Despite their four star ratings they never amounted to much as team or individually during their time at Iowa.

Michigan and Notre Dame have more than their share of the nations top recruits yet they have struggled over the recent past. So to say that Alabama is only successful because they get the best players and those players don't have to try or bust their ass in practice but just show up every Saturday and play the game, is just an unsustainable claim with no evidence or fact to back it up.

Now I will say this that what might be learned from losing and staying with a team is loyalty through tough times. You can apply that to work and marriage and friendships. It a great lesson. However you can also apply the lessons of marriage to your expectations of your allegiance to teams.

Some marriages are just terrible and should end. Especially when one party or both are overly selfish, abusive, and thinking only of themselves. There is no hope and the best thing to do is move on and try to find someone better. It's risky, as often a person can get into a relationship that is just as bad or worse. Then again just the opposite is true. They find a person who brings into their life a totally better environment. The sun comes out from behind the clouds and they find joy in life. However, it takes courage to step out from a known situation to the unknown.

Most people don't like change even if their their situation totally sucks, it's still a known quantity and comfort zone. A true leader knows that life's journey should never be a camp ground. That we should take on challenges and get out of comfort zones. That way a person can grow and learn and better themselves. Most Iowa fans are in a campground right now. They need to break camp as one side of this marriage is refusing to change and the battered (Bartaed) spouse is happy with being kicked around and even sanctions it.

There are lessons that can be learned even in the sports teams we follow. However, just as a child should never be spoiled and have given everything to them, still once in awhile they should be treated to a nice restaurant or having treats from Dairy Queen. What some want to do is trick themselves and their children into believing that Taco Bell is authentic Mexican food and a top notch restaurant just because................... "you fill in the blank."

I will give Jon this. It is very true that we get tied into an entity ( sports teams, political parties, religion) because of the memories and experiences that have shaped our lives as we grew up. That can be a great thing but then again it can be a disaster if we don't have the will to try to change terrible circumstances and try to improve our lives and do better. What can happen when we don't want to face the truth, well just ask the Jim Jones and David Karesh(?) followers how that worked out for them? Maybe they should have gotten together for a barbecue and free drinks party. Kinda like Iowa and Iowa State playing each other in football. I know that one hurt. Sorry, but sometimes you have to get people's attention and get them to thinking about things.

OK, I exaggerate to make a point and I agree it is just a game and in fact I have posted several times that it's just entertainment......... so I get that.

Something that Jon said that we have to remember is that Iowa just doesn't get to the glory land very often, but Jon don't you get it? Because it is so rare to have a shot at it, we get a chance for a once in a lifetime to actually dream about playing in the B1G game. It appeared that all the stars were finally aligning as most of the players from a 12-0 team were returning. The schedule was still extremely friendly. These are events that just don't happen at IOWA. So hopes were very high. So high in fact that it made the crashing to the ground that much more painful. Some of us may NEVER see the stars aligned like this again before we die. It would have been beyond nice to have beverage and warm hamburger after the playoff game and just suck it all in and say "Yes, it's just a game, but damn this feels awesome!!!!"

Unfortunate for me my teams that I am locked into with memories and experiences from growing up are the Hawkeyes, the Cubs, and the Bears. Can there be anymore of a self inflicted pain??? Lol. I know, I know, the Cubs are having a great year so far but please keep it to a whisper and maybe the forces of darkness will be on vacation and miss the playoffs and the Cubs will finally do it........... maybe.

Last edited:
Your thinking is flawed. How do you know what goes on over at Alabama? How do you know that their coach isn't going the extra mile in pushing those kids to their outer limits in practice? Case in point, why was Alabama down for over decade even when they were getting great recruits? The current couch is something right in preparations and play calling. This isn't just a star thing. Iowa one year had some of the SO CALLED top recruits in the nation sign up and announce on national TV they were going to Iowa. Despite their four star ratings they never amounted to much as team or individually during their time at Iowa.

Michigan and Notre Dame have more than their share of the nations too recruits yet they have struggled over the recent past. So to say that Alabama is only successful because they get the best players and those players don't have to try or bust their ass in practice but just show up every Saturday and play the game, is just an unsustainable claim with no evidence or fact to back it up.

Now I will say this that what might be learned from losing and staying with a team is loyalty through tough times. You can apply that to work and marriage and friendships. It a great lesson. However you can also apply the lessons of marriage to your expectations of your allegiance to teams.

Some marriages are just terrible and should end. Especially when one party or both are overly selfish, abusive, and thinking only of themselves. There is no hope and the best thing to do is move on and try to find someone better. It's risky, as often a person can get into a relationship that is just as bad or worse. Then again just the opposite is true. They find a person who brings into their life a totally better environment. The sun comes out from behind the clouds and they find joy in life. However, it takes courage to step out from a known situation to the unknown.

Most people don't like change even if their their situation totally sucks, it's still a known quantity and comfort zone. A true leader knows that life's journey should never be a camp ground. That we should take on challenges and get out of comfort zones. That way a person can grow and learn and better themselves. Most Iowa fans are in a campground right now. They need to break camp as one side of this marriage is refusing to change and the battered (Bartaed) spouse is happy with being kicked around and even sanctions it.

There are lessons that can be learned even in the sports teams we follow. However, just as a child should never be spoiled and given everything to them, still once in awhile they should be treated to a nice restaurant or having treats from Dairy Queen. What some what to do is trick themselves and their children into believing that Taco Bell is authentic Mexican food and a tip notch restaurant just because................... "you fill in the blank."

I will give Jon this. It is very true that we get tied into an entity ( sports teams, political parties, religion) because of the memories and experiences that have shaped our lives as we grew up. That can be a great thing but then again it can be a disaster if we don't have the will to try to change terrible circumstances and try to improve our lives and do better. What can happen when we don't want to face the truth, well just ask the Jim Jones and David Karesh(?) followers how that worked out for them? Maybe they should have gotten together for a barbecue and free drinks party. Kinda like Iowa and Iowa State playing each other in football. I know that one hurt. Sorry, but sometimes you have to get people's attention and get them to thinking about things.

OK, I exaggerate too make a point and I agree it is just a game and in fact I have posted several times that it's just entertainment......... so I get that.

Something that Jon said that we have to remember is that Iowa just doesn't get to the glory land very often, but Jon don't you get it? Because it is so rare to have a shot at it, we get a chance for a once in a lifetime to actually dream about playing in the B1G game. It appeared that all the stars we finally aligning as most of the players from a 12-0 team were returning. The schedule was still extremely friendly. These are events that just don't happen at IOWA. So hopes we very high. So high in fact that it made the crashing to the ground that more painful. Some of us may NEVER see the stars aligned like this again before we die. It would have been beyond nice to have beverage and warm hamburger after the playoff game and just suck it all in and say "Yes, it's just a game, but damn this feels awesome!!!!"

Unfortunate for me my teams that I am locked into with memories and experiences from growing up are the Hawkeyes, the Cubs, and the Bears. Can there be anymore of a self inflicted pain??? Lol. I know, I know, the Cubs are having a great year so far but please keep it to a whisper and maybe the forces of darkness will be on vacation and miss the playoffs and the Cubs will finally do it........... maybe.

You missed my point. I realize that coaching is the reason Alabama is where they are. My point was that you could take any one player off that team and it wouldn't change anything. I would rather my kid play for the team he grew up loving and try to help them be better than play for some random best team just because they're the best team.

--------Honestly there is more life lessons with a team like Iowa than a team like Alabama.

Vomit!!!! Your kid doesn't have to learn his life lessons by watching mediocre Iowa Football. Learn them in every day life around the home, and let us have a "legitimate" sniff at National Championship once before we die.

--------Iowa one year had some of the SO CALLED top recruits in the nation sign up and announce on national TV they were going to Iowa. Despite their four star ratings they never amounted to much as team or individually during their time at Iowa.

2nd Vomit!!!! I hate this loser give up mentality...think Alabama and Ohio St. give up on recruiting 4 stars because some of them don't pan out? We make excuses for a coaches poor recruiting practices by referring to "Hustle" and winning the "Right way" with "Ferentz type" players"....gag,,,snort...puke...we can pay a coach 500K to go 7-5 and do that.

You missed my point. I realize that coaching is the reason Alabama is where they are. My point was that you could take any one player off that team and it wouldn't change anything. I would rather my kid play for the team he grew up loving and try to help them be better than play for some random best team just because they're the best team.

So if your kid grew up loving and playing on a 4-8 Iowa State team and never getting to go to bowl games that would be ok for you rather than playing at Iowa and going 8-5 for the year but losing in the Outback Bowl? It's just a question?

--------Honestly there is more life lessons with a team like Iowa than a team like Alabama.

Vomit!!!! Your kid doesn't have to learn his life lessons by watching mediocre Iowa Football. Learn them in every day life around the home, and let us have a "legitimate" sniff at National Championship once before we die.

--------Iowa one year had some of the SO CALLED top recruits in the nation sign up and announce on national TV they were going to Iowa. Despite their four star ratings they never amounted to much as team or individually during their time at Iowa.

2nd Vomit!!!! I hate this loser give up mentality...think Alabama and Ohio St. give up on recruiting 4 stars because some of them don't pan out? We make excuses for a coaches poor recruiting practices by referring to "Hustle" and winning the "Right way" with "Ferentz type" players"....gag,,,snort...puke...we can pay a coach 500K to go 7-5 and do that.

Read much?
Your comprehension isn't the best and apparently you don't bother to read my post much. I've been very clear on this forum that I feel like this program could do so much more than it is doing.

I NEVER, EVER, said Iowa should not try to recruit the best players. In fact I have been saying that we have the facilities and fan base that dictate otherwise. If you read the entire post you would have understood that it not just havin four or five star players but you HAVE TO HAVE THE RIGHT COACH. One to recruit them and two to know what to do with them after you get them on the team. We don't have that coaching staff at Iowa. He is paid enough to be that coach but he is not that coach.

Are we clear now?

Last edited:
Read much?
Your comprehension isn't the best and apparently you don't bother to read my post much. I've been very clear on this forum that I feel like this program could do so much more than it is doing. I NEVER, EVER, said Iowa should not try to recruit the best players. In fact I have been been saying that we have the facilities and fan base that dictate otherwise. If you read the entire post you would have understood that it not just havin four or five star players but you HAVE TO HAVE THE RIGHT COACH. One to recruit them and two to know what to do with them after you get them on the team. We don't have that coaching staff at Iowa. He is paid enough to be that coach but he is not that coach.

Are we clear now?

Kirk and family prove me wrong within the next four years! I dare you! I double dare you!!!

Folks we may never ever go through a time period like this again where Nebraska, Notre Dame, and Michigan have been flatter than a seven day mug of beer. Think about it. This WAS an era of golden opportunity for picking big time recruits. Did it happen?

I wasn't going to say this...... but Jon, you came off awfully preachy. Even though you claimed to not be telling me what to do, you then went on tell me what to do.

That was probably my least favorite of any of your podcasts.

------------------Iowa one year had some of the SO CALLED top recruits in the nation sign up and announce on national TV they were going to Iowa. Despite their four star ratings they never amounted to much as team or individually during their time at Iowa.

BigD - So what was your point above? To me, you are saying that since it's not foolproof we should not be over concerned about attempting to recruit better...something Ferments has proven not to be concerned about. Just look at our WR's for going on 20 years....and overall team speed in general.

BTW, do you have ADD? What is with four (4) straight posts and 5 out of 7??? Do you think that your points are so thought provoking that you have to separate them???

Last edited:
Probably my least favorite podcast ever. Look social media and message boards can be over-the-top but this notion that the Iowa coaching staff and program is without reproach is weak. Individuals are being paid huge, huge dollars and with that should come scrutiny whenever the results are less than stellar. Now you have to apologize for being critical because some person called you out?

------------------Iowa one year had some of the SO CALLED top recruits in the nation sign up and announce on national TV they were going to Iowa. Despite their four star ratings they never amounted to much as team or individually during their time at Iowa.

BigD - So what was your point above? To me, you are saying that since it's not foolproof we should not be over concerned about attempting to recruit better...something Ferments has proven not to be concerned about. Just look at our WR's for going on 20 years....and overall team speed in general.

BTW, do you have ADD? What is with four (4) straight posts and 5 out of 7??? Do you think that your points are so thought provoking that you have to separate them???

Lol, no it's just after thoughts. I am not just sitting around doing nothing at a computer desk. I am very mobile addressing issues and concerns at work and coming and going and then coming back and commenting on things and thoughts. Just like my response here.

The recruiting comments were only in response as an example of how just having four star athletes does you no good if you don't know how to utilize or maximize their skills. I could not agree with you guys more. Read my lips (text) we have as much to offer in Iowa City as Notre Dame, or Oklahoma, and for god sakes Wisconsin. We are having trouble out recruiting Wisconsin? I always felt for many years under Fry that we were the obvious third power in the Big Ten and if we beat Michigan or Ohio State we were likely to finish at least second in the conference that year. That's not true so much anymore. It's more like we are tied for fourth place with MSU and Nebraska although MSU is strongly sniffing at the Badgers backside.

It's going to be rough around these parts if we get beat on Saturday. I am hoping it doesn't happen because every loss will affect player morale and a domino affect could happen.

So if your kid grew up loving and playing on a 4-8 Iowa State team and never getting to go to bowl games that would be ok for you rather than playing at Iowa and going 8-5 for the year but losing in the Outback Bowl? It's just a question?

Absolutely. To me, playing on the team you love is way more important than playing on a random better team.

Absolutely. To me, playing on the team you love is way more important than playing on a random better team.

Ok,

Myself, I would rather play on a national championship team, even if it wasn't the team I grew up cheering for.

Ok,

Myself, I would rather play on a national championship team, even if it wasn't the team I grew up cheering for.

I know a lot of people agree with you but I just don't get it. It would be like trying to get on a different country's Olympic team just because they're better. I would rather give it my all and lose with the USA. Guys like AJ Epenensa agree with me. Guys like Ross P agree with you. There's no real wrong, just a difference of opinion in what's important.

If I'm ever with a group of friends playing a pickup game of something I'm good at, I would rather be on the worse team and play tough competition where it would be really rewarding if we win. I have a friend who is always trying to stack the team so one sided that we would win for sure but it would be boring to even play. I've never understood why he does that but I guess it's because winning is so important to him that he has more fun destroying a terrible team than risking losing to good competition.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people agree with you but I just don't get it. It would be like trying to get on a different country's Olympic team just because they're better. I would rather give it my all and lose with the USA. Guys like AJ Epenensa agree with me. Guys like Ross P agree with you. There's no real wrong, just a difference of opinion in what's important.

If I'm ever with a group of friends playing a pickup game of something I'm good at, I would rather be on the worse team and play tough competition where it would be really rewarding if we win. I have a friend who is always trying to stack the team so one sided that we would win for sure but it would be boring to even play. I've never understood why he does that but I guess it's because winning is so important to him that he has more fun destroying a terrible team than risking losing to good competition.

I understand your point of view and am not critical of that at all. Obviously being a HAWKEYE fan, Bears fan, or a Cubs fan shows I am no bandwagon follower that leaves with every drop of a hat. I am always appreciative when a big cat chooses Iowa over some of the other programs.

I just really believed we would have a shot this year to play in the playoffs and NEVER would have thought we would lose to one of the worst teams in the conference nor lose to North Dakota. I still don't get it. We look like a totally different team. Even CJ looks like a different QB this year. I understand him being concerned for his health with how poor our offensive line has been as Inwould be antsy myself. Ian just scratching my head. I would not be shocked if we lose to Minnesota tomorrow, although I certainly don't want that to happen. If we bounce back and win a few in a roll that would help alleviate some of the sting of the two losses, but I will still have a feeling of disappointment over what could have been.

Those who have been on this forum know I must really be upset for it to bother me for so long. Sure I would be upset for a day or two after a tough loss but something inside of me just can't accept these particular two losses. Give me a couple of conference wins and maybe I will come back to myself but I can't guarantee that.