Really?

HawkForce

Honestly I'm still in shock...I thought this had to be a cruel joke...we hired a coach that has never even coached in a higher league than the MAAC? Other than a stint as an assistant to...Digger Phelps...WOW Barta...good lord.

I'm of the opinion that this guy has to prove to me that he can do it before I get back on board....We need to be at least .500 next year. We have the players, He has to get it done. I know it's the "guilty until proven innocent logic" but that is just the way it is...

I'm sure Iowa basketball will really miss you for a year. Stay close to your mailbox, as I'm sure Barta will be sending you a letter begging for your return.

Honestly, do you think anyone cares that you won't follow Iowa basketball for a year? Get over yourself....

So you're happy with a career mid-major coach? This is going to end up being Steve Alford/Todd Lickliter take 3

So you're happy with a career mid-major coach? This is going to end up being Steve Alford/Todd Lickliter take 3

Well I am. Check this guy out. He's a proven winner. And he's been assitant at power conference level. He knows what it takes. And very important not stuck on himself (Alford), and develops relationships with players (not Lick). He should be a better fit.

What you don't seem to understand is it doesn't matter if my choice for coach didn't get the job or not, as I don't make that decision. Instead, I'm a Hawk fan first and I will support this new coach.

If you want to go around feeling sorry for yourself, have at it. The rest of us are going to rally around this hire, as he is the HAWKEYE basketball coach.

I just wanted a mid major coach that was at least young...I ask you this...He's nearly 50...or is 50...25 years at mid majors...Why wasn't he hired before?

Well I am. Check this guy out. He's a proven winner. And he's been assitant at power conference level. He knows what it takes. And very important not stuck on himself (Alford), and develops relationships with players (not Lick). He should be a better fit.

Could not agree with you more...

Guys, stop and think. As much as nobody wants to hear "Butler", look at their talent level and athletic appearance. They can get it done, and who ever heard of Brad Stevens until now. It can be done, but players got to work hard and grow. I do think he can coach. Gotta get right staff, and I do beleive it will have some past iowa player flavor somehere on that staff.

Guys, stop and think. As much as nobody wants to hear "Butler", look at their talent level and athletic appearance. They can get it done, and who ever heard of Brad Stevens until now. It can be done, but players got to work hard and grow. I do think he can coach. Gotta get right staff, and I do beleive it will have some past iowa player flavor somehere on that staff.

Welcome to the Hawkeye Nation forum, BJ!:)

Honestly I'm still in shock...I thought this had to be a cruel joke...we hired a coach that has never even coached in a higher league than the MAAC? Other than a stint as an assistant to...Digger Phelps...WOW Barta...good lord.

I'm of the opinion that this guy has to prove to me that he can do it before I get back on board....We need to be at least .500 next year. We have the players, He has to get it done. I know it's the "guilty until proven innocent logic" but that is just the way it is...

so you're not even willing to give the guy a fair shot huh? :confused:

at least it took me a couple of years to get ****** at alford

Last edited:
I want him to win 18 games next year...it is doable with the current talent level (Lick was THAT bad)

Just let it play out. My first reaction to this hire wasn't great, but I like what I am hearing about him. No matter who was hired was going to have to prove himself on the court as a coach. Same goes for Fran and I am hopeful of the future.

Let's see how this goes. If it doesn't work then people can question the hire.

I like him as a people person and he seems genuine...and I think he will bring a nice style...but I still have some other reservations.

Why didn't other schools beat down his door earlier?? And how is his recruiting?? (I took a glance and to me it looked like the ESPN ratings were fairly similar to Lick's class that was coming in this year...maybe a little bit better. )

Latest posts