Really it all comes down to the Minny Game...right?

Minny's defense is certainly very good, but I have the feeling that Iowa struggles more with Wisky's attacking, confusing style of defense than it does with Minnesota. I could be wrong, but Wisky's defense gives us fits every year. I went to the game in Camp Randall right after Iowa beat anOSU, and I think Stanley and the boys had fifty-something yards of offense that year.
66 yards, IIRC.

In my Iowa football fantasy this year I'd love to see KJohnson, Cooper DJ & #2 Roberts all in the backfield together running some wildcat or Wing-T-type stuff. THAT would be fun to watch.....if they could keep from running into each other!

Minny's offensive results are like Purdue's: inconsistent and tough to predict. Held to 10 pts by Purdue and 20 by Nebraska; but scored 34 vs Sparty and 31 vs Rutgers. Morgan seems to run hot/cold this year and week-to-week; ya never know what you're gonna get. The Iowa D will slow down Abrahim, but he's probably the best RB they'll see this year other than the Michigan back. Morgan is the wild-card.
Yup.

I have watched a couple Minny games and IMHO their defense is not as good as Wisky's D. Unlike Wisky, they have a almost competent offense.

I think this is going to feel more like the Purdue game. On the road, hostile crowd, we will frustrate the hell out of their offense, but they will score a couple times. Say, 13 points total. Our offense will do just enough to score 21 points with like 275 yards of total offense.

If this game was in IC, I think we would be clear favorites. But, we do have a couple nice road wins this season. I like our chances even with the bad offense.
Well said. I feel Iowa wins BUT if the offense does absolutely NOTHING like they have in a few games this season, they get beat like 17-13. The offense must create ONE TD and its in the bag.

i will be honestly shocked if Iowa doesn't seize this opportunity. I will be more than disappointed because there are 2 very winnable games in front of them..... and let's be honest, this is where Papa Ferentz has built his career....left for dead, gets some national jokes thrown at them for whatever reason (offense, schedule, Rhabdo, players getting in trouble with the law, his contract or buy out, racial bias etc.)

Every time that happens... almost in every situation you look at, Ferentz punches back.

He's a lot of things, resilient would be at the top of the list.

I like the way you think, but I will go with Iowa 2, Minnesota 0 in five overtimes.
The safety coming from Iowa center Logan Jones after Petras fumbles the ball on the 1 yard line, their linebacker picks it up and tries to run for pay dirt but sees Sam LaPorta bearing down on him and decides to try and juke him, thereby giving up the "original momentum" protection rule and ultimately succumbing to Jones 5 yards deep in the EZ. Logan going down in history as the only man who's ever snapped a ball and made a tackle for safety in the same play in the history of the universe.

Take the pig, leave the timeouts.

The safety coming from Iowa center Logan Jones after Petras fumbles the ball on the 1 yard line, their linebacker picks it up and tries to run for pay dirt but sees Sam LaPorta bearing down on him and decides to try and juke him, thereby giving up the "original momentum" protection rule and ultimately succumbing to Jones 5 yards deep in the EZ. Logan going down in history as the only man who's ever snapped a ball and made a tackle for safety in the same play in the history of the universe.

Take the pig, leave the timeouts.

How did that Vikings' game treat you on Sunday? The scenario you lay out above would have fit into that game seamlessly.

How did that Vikings' game treat you on Sunday? The scenario you lay out above would have fit into that game seamlessly.
Funny story...

Drove 5 1/2 hours home from the Hawks game Sunday morning, got home right as the Vikes game kicked. Fell asleep on the couch as the 3Q was starting. Woke up to about 30 texts from my kid and some buddies going on and on about the last few minutes and how awesome it was. Never saw it. Need to watch it on DVR sometime this week.

This is a crazy thought, but Iowa could still conceivably loose to Minny on Saturday and play for the B1G title in Indy with a win vs Nebby in the finally. Here it is...it would take a four way tie between Iowa, Purdon't, Minny, and Wiscy at 5-4. Illinios would have to drop @ MICH and @ NW, because Illinois controls many tie-breakers. Illini would win a five-way tie at 5-4, due to their 3-1 round robin record amongst the dead heapers, so if Iowa should loose Saturday, Illini loosing out is a must. Iowa owns the tie-breakers in a four-way tie as mentioned above. Which means Purdon't has to loose once, Wiscy wins out, and Minny would obviously take the L @ Wiscy in this scenario. Indiana might not be world-beaters this year, but a rivalry game in their backyard vs Purdue on senior day is in no way an unconceivable thought...and just like that...a 5-4 Iowa plays for all the marbles! What a weird season...

Last edited:
This is a crazy thought, but Iowa could still conceivably loose to Minny on Saturday and play for the B1G title in Indy with a win vs Nebby in the finally. Here it is...it would take a four way tie between Iowa, Purdon't, Minny, and Wiscy at 5-4. Illinios would have to drop @ MICH and @ NW, because Illinois controls many tie-breakers. Illini would win a five-way tie at 5-4, due to their 3-1 round robin record amongst the dead heapers, so if Iowa should loose Saturday, Illini loosing out is a must. Iowa owns the tie-breakers in a four-way tie as mentioned above. Which means Purdon't has to loose once, Wiscy wins out, and Minny would obviously take the L @ Wiscy in this scenario. Indiana might not be world-beaters this year, but a rivalry game in their backyard vs Purdue on senior day is in no way an unconceivable thought...and just like that...a 5-4 Iowa plays for all the marbles! What a weird season...
sunny.jpeg

Let me start of saying I want Iowa to win the last 2 games, I never root for Iowa to lose. But if Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, and you probably can add in Wisconsin all finish 5-4 it would be hilarious to watch the conference hand out up to FIVE division championship trophies. Because remember the Big Ten acknowledges all teams that finish in a tie for 1st as division champion even though only 1 team represents the West in the championship game.

But, yeah, Illinois wins most tie breakers because they likely finish with the better in division record. The only tiebreaker they would lose is if it's just Illinois and Purdue with the same record then Purdue wins the tiebreaker due to head to head.

In the weird scenario where Iowa, Purdue, and Minnesota all wind up tied I don't know how they break that tie as they all would have a loss in the 3 way head to head and they would all have the same division record. If Wisconsin also finished tied then Iowa would win the tiebreaker since they would be 2-1 against the other 3.

Let me start of saying I want Iowa to win the last 2 games, I never root for Iowa to lose. But if Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, and you probably can add in Wisconsin all finish 5-4 it would be hilarious to watch the conference hand out up to FIVE division championship trophies. Because remember the Big Ten acknowledges all teams that finish in a tie for 1st as division champion even though only 1 team represents the West in the championship game.

But, yeah, Illinois wins most tie breakers because they likely finish with the better in division record. The only tiebreaker they would lose is if it's just Illinois and Purdue with the same record then Purdue wins the tiebreaker due to head to head.

In the weird scenario where Iowa, Purdue, and Minnesota all wind up tied I don't know how they break that tie as they all would have a loss in the 3 way head to head and they would all have the same division record. If Wisconsin also finished tied then Iowa would win the tiebreaker since they would be 2-1 against the other 3.
In order until one team is dropped and it reverts to head to head:

Overall division record
record against the next best team (4th, 5th , 6th etc but grouping all teams with the same record together)
Record against all common conference opponents (did one of us beat someone the other lost to from the east)
Record of non-division opponents
Best overall record (ISU screws us here but it won't get this far)
Random draw

Illinois is not beating Michigan.
Iowa is not losing to Nebraska (they are a complete trainwreck) at home....especially if they beat Minny.

Looks like the Minny game is going to be Siberia in terms of weather-temps...could take the crowd right out of it.

Right now, I'm thinking be a big Michigan Fan in terms of Illinois and Ohio St game.

Iowa take care of business.

I think Iowa can beat Michigan, not that they would/will.....Ohio St I think still has to much fire power.
Does anyone have that picture of Iowa taking the goal posts out of the Metrodome? One of my favorites. Lol

In order until one team is dropped and it reverts to head to head:

Overall division record
record against the next best team (4th, 5th , 6th etc but grouping all teams with the same record together)
Record against all common conference opponents (did one of us beat someone the other lost to from the east)
Record of non-division opponents
Best overall record (ISU screws us here but it won't get this far)
Random draw

Damn, that’s giving me a headache to try and figure out. If the next best team is Illinois then Purdue wins the tiebreaker but if the next best teams are Illinois and Wisconsin (tied) then that doesn’t work either as Purdue lost to Wisconsin.

My head hurts, hopefully Iowa can beat Minnesota and we don’t have to do all of this.

Latest posts