Realignment Crystal Ball

SteveDeace

Now that the Big Ten is willing to wait for Texas...

What I believe BCS conference realignment will look like by 2015

In light of recent comments from Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delaney about conference expansion, we’re adjusting our predictions of what the collegiate sports landscape will look like by the middle of this decade.

Big Ten

BLACK & DECKER DIVISION—Maryland, Michigan State, Penn State, Rutgers
GENERAL MOTORS DIVISION—Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue
MOTOROLA DIVISION—Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin
AT&T DIVISION—Iowa, Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M

I believe it is certain the Big Ten will go to 16 teams and four divisions…I predict they will sell the corporate naming rights to each division…if Texas says no and doesn’t bring Texas A&M with them, then substitute Georgia Tech/Vanderbilt and Nebraska instead…I believe the faculty and administration at Texas will say yes when it sees the huge potential academic benefits to joining the Big Ten…it’s clear now that no school that isn’t a member of the Association of American Universities will be admitted unless it’s Notre Dame, which I don’t believe will join the Big Ten…other than AAU membership, I believe the next criteria will be expanding the Big Ten Network’s television footprint south and east and all the new members I predicted were with that in mind.

Big 16

NORTH DIVISION—BYU, Colorado State, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Pittsburgh
SOUTH DIVISION—Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, Tulane, San Diego State

With its tent pole team gone, the former Big 12 will look to make up for it in volume by extending its demographic reach into Ohio, California, Utah, Colorado, Pennsylvania, and Louisiana…this would be a more competitive league that might actually have more local media potential, and the league would probably institute real revenue sharing that is long overdue.

SEC

EAST DIVISION—Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, Miami, South Carolina, Virginia
WEST DIVISION—Alabama , Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

The SEC will do its best to match the Big Ten team-for-team by robbing the ACC of its coveted Florida connection as well as Virginia and Clemson... Florida State and Miami will agree to join provided that South Florida is left out of the league’s expansion plans.

ACC

ATLANTIC—Boston College, Connecticut, Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, West Virginia
COASTAL—Duke, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, N.C. State, South Florida, Wake Forest

The ACC responds to the SEC and Big Ten raiding its ranks by essentially dissolving the Big East conference.

Pac-10

NORTH—California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Washington, Washington State
SOUTH—Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, UCLA, USC, Utah

The Pac-10 expands by adding Colorado and Utah , and then will look to form a media/scheduling alliance with the new Big 16 Conference.

Catholic Conference

Creighton
Georgetown
Marquette
Notre Dame
Providence
Seton Hall
St. John’s
St. Louis
Villanova
Xavier

Notre Dame remains an independent in football, but takes the initiative to form this conference of private, Catholic schools in all other sports to take the place of the now-defunct Big East.

Look for the BCS to add the Cotton Bowl at the new Cowboys Stadium in Dallas as its fifth bowl partner. Five automatic bids will be granted to the BCS each year instead of the six given now.

I don't see UVA joining the SEC. Academics (almost arrogant academia) is so important at that school that I think they will want to stick with Duke and UNC. Maybe West Virginia, a more comparable school academically to the rest of the conference, joins the SEC.

I was just about to post that where you have Pittsburgh doesn't make sense, but I see you have Cincinnati as well......I guess it makes a little bit of sense now.

Maybe substitute Nebraska for Mizzou. Man, that Catholic conference. One heckuva Hoop league. Instead of the 'Star Spangled Banner' they'll do 'Ave Maria'. Appreciate your posts, Steve.

I don't think Texas will join the Big 10, which also means no A&M. Maryland? Are you kidding me? Makes zero sense. I don't want Rutgers.

Missouri I would take, same with Nebraska.

And I GUARANTEE the Big 10 won't sell naming rights to the divisions. But I assume you are just joking about that, Steve.

I don't think Texas will join the Big 10, which also means no A&M. Maryland? Are you kidding me? Makes zero sense. I don't want Rutgers.

Missouri I would take, same with Nebraska.

And I GUARANTEE the Big 10 won't sell naming rights to the divisions. But I assume you are just joking about that, Steve.

I don't think he was kidding......In fact, I know he wasn't....Everything else in sports these days seems to be driven by corporate sponsorship, why not this? It is all about $$$$$$$$$

It would be pretty lame if Iowa was in a division with texas, a&m and mizzou

Im praying they only go 14 teams and Texas isnt one of them

It makes sense. However, if they sell the corporate naming rights for each division, I will vomit in my mouth every time I hear it.

I like that- tough draw tho for the Hawks playing Texas every year- but as the Nature Boy said: "To be the best u gotta beat the best...wooooo"

This looks good and I really like it. I just don't see it happening. I see a big 12/pac 10 alliance and network with Texas remaining in control of the big 12.

I will say one thing about Iowa playing three "southern" schools (two of which are in Texas), that would really open up recruiting in TX, where there are plenty of good players to go around.

About the B10 teams: I think they make a lot of sen$e given there markets and population base, but selfishly I would rather Iowa play Nebby over Misery.

Last edited:
I don't see any way Iowa/Wisconsin/Minny get split up. I agree the Big Ten goes to 16 and splits into 4 divisions, but Iowa/Wiscy/Minny will all be in one division.

My best guess is that Nebraska gets added as well and fills the fourth spot in that division.

If Texas comes, I think A&M comes..and I think they will be in the same division or pod with Iowa...and Mizzou too, so I agree with that. I dont think Iowa, Minnesota or Wisconsin is going to have much say in splitting them up. Just my take. And I think the Big Ten is going to wait on all of this until they hear a yes or no from Texas.

If Texas comes, I think A&M comes..and I think they will be in the same division or pod with Iowa...and Mizzou too, so I agree with that. I dont think Iowa, Minnesota or Wisconsin is going to have much say in splitting them up. Just my take. And I think the Big Ten is going to wait on all of this until they hear a yes or no from Texas.

No, they won't, but the Big Ten won't make the same incompetent mistake the Big 12 did when they aligned their divisions. Though it seems more and more like college football is about money, I fully believe the Big Ten understands it is also about rivalries and pageantry. Unlike the Big 12, who ended the Big 8's largest annual rivalry when it formed (NU/OU), the Big 10 will use the pod system to maintain rivalries (which is, perhaps, the biggest advantage of using the pod system in the first place), while adding new ones where ever convenient.

If the above scenario plays out, my guess would be that Mizzou would end up in a division with Wisconsin/Iowa/Minny and Texas/TAMU would end up in a division with either Illinois/NW or Indiana/Purdue....probably Indiana/Purude.

No, they won't, but the Big Ten won't make the same incompetent mistake the Big 12 did when they aligned their divisions. .

agreed, which is why they wont split Michigan and Ohio State. Iowa, MN & Wisky are not Michigan and Ohio State

EVERYTHING that has made the B10 football season so interesting.....so legendary with tradition and relationships among fans,cities and schools is about to disappear forever. It is being sacrificed for television and will never be the same again (or even close) in the pursuit of national champions and money. Tragic. Glad I lived the majority of my life able to enjoy what was the best part of fall. Nothing left now except to be second fiddle (3rd,4th fiddle?) to Texas. 4 divisions is the ultimate worst realignment possible. If Iowans chafe at being athletically invisible now wait until all the oxygen gets sucked out of the room by this realignment. ISU may be better off than us after this occurs.

EVERYTHING that has made the B10 football season so interesting.....so legendary with tradition and relationships among fans,cities and schools is about to disappear forever. It is being sacrificed for television and will never be the same again (or even close) in the pursuit of national champions and money. Tragic. Glad I lived the majority of my life able to enjoy what was the best part of fall. Nothing left now except to be second fiddle (3rd,4th fiddle?) to Texas. 4 divisions is the ultimate worst realignment possible. If Iowans chafe at being athletically invisible now wait until all the oxygen gets sucked out of the room by this realignment. ISU may be better off than us after this occurs.

Vince, I agree with you.

But....I just have a feeling this isn't going to end up being a big a deal as people are predicting. I don't think there will be 16 teams...it will either be 12 or 14...and there won't be 4 divisions (that would be an absolute NIGHTMARE).

It is only a hunch...and I could be wrong....but I think the expansion will make a lot of sense and will be only minimally disruptive (if at all) to existing rivalries.

Latest posts