Realignment and basketball

Hawk94

I wanted to make sure I understood the implications of realignment and basketball. Would the division split only be for football? How would the basketball schedule be impacted?

I wanted to make sure I understood the implications of realignment and basketball. Would the division split only be for football? How would the basketball schedule be impacted?

Good question. Not sure if they will have divisions. I don't think it would have much impact since there is already 18 conference games.

No reason for divisions in hoops.

That may be true on the surface (i.e., no Big 10 basketball conference championship game), and I believe I've heard that there won't be hoops divisions in the Big 10. However, I'm almost positive that the SEC has divisions set up for basketball in that conference. I'm not sure why that is the case.

Let's put a team on the floor that actually has a shot at more than a handful of B10 wins before we start worrying about divisions and realignment.

That may be true on the surface (i.e., no Big 10 basketball conference championship game), and I believe I've heard that there won't be hoops divisions in the Big 10. However, I'm almost positive that the SEC has divisions set up for basketball in that conference. I'm not sure why that is the case.

Yes the SEC does have divisions for bball.

i think you are right with the SEC divisions. I remember seeing their conference tournament seedings for basketball. with and East #1, West #1, E#2, W#2 and so on. I don't think that the Big 12 has divisions in basketball though. I just thought that it may be an interested wrinkle to the division discussion. Football obviously drives the bus but there could be more other effects of this.

i think you are right with the SEC divisions. I remember seeing their conference tournament seedings for basketball. with and East #1, West #1, E#2, W#2 and so on. I don't think that the Big 12 has divisions in basketball though. I just thought that it may be an interested wrinkle to the division discussion. Football obviously drives the bus but there could be more other effects of this.

I really hope they don't do divisions. The SEC is a mess in basketball.

The B12 doesn't have divisions as far as the standings go, but they do use divisions in the scheduling. You play everyone in your own division twice and the teams in the opposite division once. I would hope the B10 doesn't go this route, and if they keep an 18 game schedule I dont think they will.

For the sake of argument I will throw out a slightly contrary point of view: the realignment likely will not help basketball recruiting, could possibly hurt it.

I don't see football recruiting being affected one way or the other by the realignment; Iowa has a strong national reputation was a solid, winning football program. Whether or not you regularly see Iowa football games where you live is immaterial.

If realignment results in more "eastern" division (for lack of an actual name) Big 10 basketball games being shown on the East Coast and the South, high school prospects are going to have less of an opportunity to see Iowa and (hopefully) become fans of the new coach's passion for his players and his up-tempo style of play.

I agree the main things that will help basketball recruit are 1) winning, and 2) passionate fans filling CHA. Of those two, I don't know which comes first.

I think with the success of the Big Ten Tourney that they are not going to want to mess with that format.

Latest posts