reaction after Lickliter hiring

I was very excited after the Lickliter hire. I don't think I was alone either. IIRC the boards were pretty optimistic. I'm a little more guarded in my optimism this time. All the breaking down of the hire in the world isn't going to matter for another 6-7 mos. We'll see what we have then. We may not know much about his ability to recruit and consistency in recruiting for a LONG time.

After Lickliter assembled his staff, I wrote quite a lengthy piece concluding that he would not succeed at Iowa.

I discussed Lick's experience and the experience of the staff. Except for two years at that power Eastern Michigan, Lick had no recruiting experience except at Butler.

The hiring of Chad Walthall still baffles me. He had spent 10 of the previous 12 years at Division III schools St. Olaf and Loras. His only Division I experience was with Lick at Eastern Michigan.

Basically, it came down to the fact that Lick & his staff had absolutely no experience recruiting to a high-major school. Boy was I stitched a new one! He's coach of the year; I'm an idiot, etc. You can just imagine.

Going back, I didn't think that he Alford hire was a good one. I just thought it was too early in his career to hire him. I kind of went in reverse of most of the fan base though as Alford's career went on, I thought he was improving as a coach and making better decisions.

When Lick was hired, I was accepting. Not sold, not against. I think that's how I spent the entire 3 years with Lickliter. I sat on the fence. I supported giving him a more than fair chance but was never sure if he was going to get it done.

I had no real idea who Lickliter was and really no better idea who Lickliter was after his press conference. I was just happy that Alford was gone and we had a new coach. I didn't know what kind of coach Lickliter was. After 3 years I still don't know what kind of guy Lickliter is other than he is extremely introverted. I think I know more about FM right now than I do about Lickliter after 3 years...

My exact words were
wtf_blog.jpg

And after 3 years they hadn't changed.

Latest posts