RE: The promise of Iowa's O

homerHAWKeye777

Here's a question that really gets my attention ... when was the last time that Iowa was LOADED at BOTH the skill positions and on the OL?

- The Hawks looked like they COULD have been pretty loaded at the skill spots in '10 ... however, injuries and attrition killed us at RB and the OL still had to feature 3 new starters ... and that number technically could be upped to 4 because Reiff was entering just his first year as a regular starter at LT.

Otherwise, Iowa had a great QB, a very nice collection of WRs, and a good buch of TEs. All the same, through the first two-thirds of the season, Iowa's O was pretty darn potent!

- The Hawks looked like they COULD have been pretty loaded all around in '09. We returned Ricky, we had an absolutely tremendous group of TEs, and the WRs were promising. Most importantly, prior to pre-season camp, it looked like we were going to see a "best-ever" group on the OL. Furthermore, following the spring, it wasn't yet obvious that Hampton was going to miss the '09 season. Thus, the '09 O looked like it COULD HAVE been an exceptional group.

What happened? Hampton was lost for the season and THREE of Iowa's top guys on the OL ... three whom are all now in the NFL (Bulaga, Calloway, and Vandervelde) ... were dinged up. A direct consequence of this fact is that the lack of personnel continuity on the OL stalled its gelling process. Furthermore, we were stuck playing 2 freshman at RB ... both of whom played valiantly for us ... but also both of whom played awfully green.

- In '08, the Iowa OL was pretty set ... and obviously Greene proved to be a complete stud. Furthermore, Stanzi clearly had moxy. An underrated component of our success in '08 was that our TE play was absolutely terrific. I don't think that I could say enough superlatives about Myers play that year. Furthermore, when adequately healthy, Moeaki played well too. Also, Reisner played well for a young guy.

The problem with the '08 O was that while Stanzi had moxy ... he was also plenty green. Furthermore, Iowa's WR play was still pretty darn inconsistent. Of course, I don't hold that against them ... the group, as a whole, was still pretty young and inexperienced.

- Forget about '07 ... we were as young and inexperienced as I can ever remember on O. I just felt bad for Young and Sims.

- In '06 we had a great QB, very good RBs, and what should have been a great group of TEs. One problem was that we lost some significant leadership on the OL ... and then to add insult to injury ... both Eubanks and Richardson went down to injury. Another significant problem was that our WRs were either inconsistent, inexperienced, or both.

.... and the list of years goes on.

Apart from the '09 season where we were only loaded "on paper," the only other year where the O appeared to be loaded across the board was in '02.

Now, lets fast-forward to the '11 O ....

QB - exceptionally promising (although folks could rightly question how "proven" Vandenberg is)
RB - exceptionally promising (although folks could question the experience of our depth)
TE - exceptionally promising (although folks could question the experience of our depth)
WR - exceptionally promising (although folks could question the experience of our depth)
OL - exceptionally promising

Is it just me ... or does Iowa's O not appear to be have an exceptionally high ceiling?

I've already acknowledged questions and/or critiques that many fans might make concerning our '11 O. However, I urge those same individuals to ask themselves the following:

1. Could folks have predicted that Brad Banks would have had the sort of season he ended up having in '02?
2. We knew that CJ Jones was money ... however, who would have predicted that Mo Brown and Ed Hinkel would have been as good as they were in '02? And, mind you, Hinkel was listed as a starter ... and he was just a FR!
3. Who can name our depth behind Dallas Clark at TE in '02? We were obviously very good at TE that year ... but could any fan state with great conviction that we were a strong 3-deep?
4. Did you know that Coker received more collegiate touches in '10 than EITHER Russell or Lewis prior to the '02 season? Did you know that Jermelle Lewis's first collegiate carries were during the '02 season?

The point of the above questions is that Iowa's '02 O had to answer all the same questions that the '11 O has to answer. And, with the benefit of hindsight ... the '02 O answered those questions with resounding affirmatives! We saw guys who had generated buzz end up emerging as big storylines for the team that year.

Provided that the '11 Iowa O can remain adequately healthy, I'm willing to make a few predictions concerning the "emerging stories" that we're probably hear in the near future:

- Vandenberg is going to live up to the hype. His performance against tOSU was no fluke.

- Keenan Davis is going to exploit all the attention that opposing Ds will give McNutt ... and he's going to make a HUGE splash!

- Coker will continue to be Coker ... and maintain his pretty impressive average of 5.5 yards per carry. In fact, I would be surprised if he had a higher average in '11 because he'll be running behind a more experienced OL and he'll be running with a lower pad level too.

- We'll have a 2nd RB emerge who will complement Coker. My guess is that the #2 RB (at the end of the season) will still average in the ball-park of 5 yards per carry.

- Herman will have a very solid SR campaign. Furthermore, Herman and CJ Fed will combine for around 60 catches and provide. This duo will provide an excellent mismatch against opposing LBs in coverage!

- If our Hawkeye prayers go answered ... the OL remains sufficiently healthy to live up to their own high expectations!

I know, I know, I know ... I'm a Hawkeye homer (or thater, a homer Hawkeye) ... however, does anybody else see what I see here. If the O develops as they should ... and if the O remains healthy ... does ANYBODY see ANY gaping holes in the O? I don't ...

Re: The promise of Iowa's O

No, and I am awefully excited about the possibilities of this offense as well. My only worry is QB where Vandy does not have a lot of experience. But with as good as our line is along with Coker Iowa may not need to depend on the QBs arm to win games.

Our offense better be good as the punting situation does not appear to be all that promising.

Here's a question that really gets my attention ... when was the last time that Iowa was LOADED at BOTH the skill positions and on the OL?

- The Hawks looked like they COULD have been pretty loaded at the skill spots in '10 ... however, injuries and attrition killed us at RB and the OL still had to feature 3 new starters ... and that number technically could be upped to 4 because Reiff was entering just his first year as a regular starter at LT.

Otherwise, Iowa had a great QB, a very nice collection of WRs, and a good buch of TEs. All the same, through the first two-thirds of the season, Iowa's O was pretty darn potent!

- The Hawks looked like they COULD have been pretty loaded all around in '09. We returned Ricky, we had an absolutely tremendous group of TEs, and the WRs were promising. Most importantly, prior to pre-season camp, it looked like we were going to see a "best-ever" group on the OL. Furthermore, following the spring, it wasn't yet obvious that Hampton was going to miss the '09 season. Thus, the '09 O looked like it COULD HAVE been an exceptional group.

What happened? Hampton was lost for the season and THREE of Iowa's top guys on the OL ... three whom are all now in the NFL (Bulaga, Calloway, and Vandervelde) ... were dinged up. A direct consequence of this fact is that the lack of personnel continuity on the OL stalled its gelling process. Furthermore, we were stuck playing 2 freshman at RB ... both of whom played valiantly for us ... but also both of whom played awfully green.

- In '08, the Iowa OL was pretty set ... and obviously Greene proved to be a complete stud. Furthermore, Stanzi clearly had moxy. An underrated component of our success in '08 was that our TE play was absolutely terrific. I don't think that I could say enough superlatives about Myers play that year. Furthermore, when adequately healthy, Moeaki played well too. Also, Reisner played well for a young guy.

The problem with the '08 O was that while Stanzi had moxy ... he was also plenty green. Furthermore, Iowa's WR play was still pretty darn inconsistent. Of course, I don't hold that against them ... the group, as a whole, was still pretty young and inexperienced.

- Forget about '07 ... we were as young and inexperienced as I can ever remember on O. I just felt bad for Young and Sims.

- In '06 we had a great QB, very good RBs, and what should have been a great group of TEs. One problem was that we lost some significant leadership on the OL ... and then to add insult to injury ... both Eubanks and Richardson went down to injury. Another significant problem was that our WRs were either inconsistent, inexperienced, or both.

Apart from the '09 season where we were only loaded "on paper," the only other year where the O appeared to be loaded across the board was in '02.

QB - exceptionally promising (although folks could rightly question how "proven" Vandenberg is)
RB - exceptionally promising (although folks could question the experience of our depth)
TE - exceptionally promising (although folks could question the experience of our depth)
WR - exceptionally promising (although folks could question the experience of our depth)

Is it just me ... or does Iowa's O not appear to be have an exceptionally high ceiling?

I've already acknowledged questions and/or critiques that many fans might make concerning our '11 O. However, I urge those same individuals to ask themselves the following:

1. Could folks have predicted that Brad Banks would have had the sort of season he ended up having in '02?
2. We knew that CJ Jones was money ... however, who would have predicted that Mo Brown and Ed Hinkel would have been as good as they were in '02? And, mind you, Hinkel was listed as a starter ... and he was just a FR!
3. Who can name our depth behind Dallas Clark at TE in '02? We were obviously very good at TE that year ... but could any fan state with great conviction that we were a strong 3-deep?
4. Did you know that Coker received more collegiate touches in '10 than EITHER Russell or Lewis prior to the '02 season? Did you know that Jermelle Lewis's first collegiate carries were during the '02 season?

The point of the above questions is that Iowa's '02 O had to answer all the same questions that the '11 O has to answer. And, with the benefit of hindsight ... the '02 O answered those questions with resounding affirmatives! We saw guys who had generated buzz end up emerging as big storylines for the team that year.

Provided that the '11 Iowa O can remain adequately healthy, I'm willing to make a few predictions concerning the "emerging stories" that we're probably hear in the near future:

- Vandenberg is going to live up to the hype. His performance against tOSU was no fluke.

- Keenan Davis is going to exploit all the attention that opposing Ds will give McNutt ... and he's going to make a HUGE splash!

- Coker will continue to be Coker ... and maintain his pretty impressive average of 5.5 yards per carry. In fact, I would be surprised if he had a higher average in '11 because he'll be running behind a more experienced OL and he'll be running with a lower pad level too.

- We'll have a 2nd RB emerge who will complement Coker. My guess is that the #2 RB (at the end of the season) will still average in the ball-park of 5 yards per carry.

- Herman will have a very solid SR campaign. Furthermore, Herman and CJ Fed will combine for around 60 catches and provide. This duo will provide an excellent mismatch against opposing LBs in coverage!

- If our Hawkeye prayers go answered ... the OL remains sufficiently healthy to live up to their own high expectations!

I know, I know, I know ... I'm a Hawkeye homer (or thater, a homer Hawkeye) ... however, does anybody else see what I see here. If the O develops as they should ... and if the O remains healthy ... does ANYBODY see ANY gaping holes in the O? I don't ...

Great stuff Homer as always, thanks. After hearing all the updates from the BTN guys, I'm really stoked how everything is shaping up.

Last edited:

No, and I am awefully excited about the possibilities of this offense as well. My only worry is QB where Vandy does not have a lot of experience. But with as good as our line is along with Coker Iowa may not need to depend on the QBs arm to win games.

Our offense better be good as the punting situation does not appear to be all that promising.
What do you base you punter comment on? Just asking. Donahue was great and maybe the best punter in the conference. I don't think we fall of much this year. I don't follow the punter as much as other positions even though I know how important the position is so thats why I ask.

I would not refer to our skill positions as "loaded" we have talent but a lot of inexperience.

There alot of what-ifs in your thoughts about the Iowa O. Vandy is gonna have his hands plenty full with the grind of an entire season rather than just a plug-in play here and there. By that way Vandys numbers are 47-95 for 515yds 3TD 5INTs. Better hope the "hawkeye prayers" are answered cause alot of points are gonna need to be scored. Alot of ppl are only worried about the QB i would be worried about the Defense they have areas that will be exploited. And everyone rallys behind KF but yet has a 53-44 record in the Big10? and two shared conf titles and two BCS bowl bids in 12yrs. At least we wont be sharing the conf title anymore.

As usual Homer you have hit the nail on the head. Great stuff. I am stoked about our O. The O line staying healthy is key.....I heard on G may already be on the shelf for a few weeks. Can't have a couple more of those without some risk. I think our D will be better than we think and our O not QUITE as good as we think but very solid. I think this could be a really great season for us. I love our O line and our schedule. Go Hawks!!

As usual Homer you have hit the nail on the head. Great stuff. I am stoked about our O. The O line staying healthy is key.....I heard on G may already be on the shelf for a few weeks. Can't have a couple more of those without some risk. I think our D will be better than we think and our O not QUITE as good as we think but very solid. I think this could be a really great season for us. I love our O line and our schedule. Go Hawks!!

"I heard on G may already be on the shelf for a few weeks"

??

Prior to the '08 season, would you have said that Iowa was "loaded" at RB?
Would you have said that? Did you really think that a guy who moved furniture for a living the year before would win the Doak Walker?

Having said that, Iowa is rarely "loaded" at the skill positions.

Would you have said that? Did you really think that a guy who moved furniture for a living the year before would win the Doak Walker?

Having said that, Iowa is rarely "loaded" at the skill positions.

Actually, I would have guessed that Greene would have been good for around 1300 yards. That is assuming that he would have been able to remain healthy. And part of my assumption was based on the fact that BOTH AY and Greenway absolutely GUSHED about Greene's upside.

Would I have stated that we were loaded at RB in '08? I would have likely stated that Iowa had as good of talent at the spot as usually have ... and that's pretty darn good. However, what I also would have said is that our depth was definitely IFFY because the only legit candidates backing him up were freshmen.

Furthermore, when I say "loaded" ... I think that it is implicit that I'm meaning relative to our usual talent level.

And, as we've observed through the years, Iowa's usual talent level seems to consistently be able to compete with ANYBODY!

"I heard on G may already be on the shelf for a few weeks"

??
I assume you are referring to Nolan MacMillan. Have not heard how long he will be out but most observers thought Scherff was doing well and Gettis has done well when healthy. There is less depth now but still think the OL will be fine.

I agree with Homer's post. I think there is alot to be excited about with the O

Crap ... are you referring to a guy IN ADDITION to MacMillan?

I really like Gettis, Scherff, and Boffeli ... and, if healthy, I think that they can man the OG spot well. However, at this juncture, Orne and Clark are still relative unknowns to me.

I do not think there is any drop off with Scherff. In fact I will be surprised Iowa gets to keep him on the line for 4 years. The guy is a beast and will be a #1 draft pick if he can keep developing and stay healthy.

Interesting post. If we are really talking about the potential of this offense, let's not forget the wrinkle Derby might be able to provide.

I have some loose connections at the Press-Citizen, and the scuttlebutt is that O'Keefe has been playing around with Derby in some different formations. I know the skeptics will say sure, that's what camp is for, to give your second string QB some snaps. But's that not what I am hearing. These are formations designed for Derby this year. We'll see.

I have some loose connections at the Press-Citizen, and the scuttlebutt is that O'Keefe has been playing around with Derby in some different formations. I know the skeptics will say sure, that's what camp is for, to give your second string QB some snaps. But's that not what I am hearing. These are formations designed for Derby this year. We'll see.

they've said they are playing to the strengths of wienke and derby to find out who will take the back up spot. derby brings that different skill set; why not play around with it?

Get homer, windy but good post. I also think this O has a super high ceiling. I know many people quest vandenberg, but I think he is going to impress. Kirk has been super high on James, which is kind of un-Kirk like for a play who has played very littlle. I'm a homer too, but I'm very excited for this season.

Crap ... are you referring to a guy IN ADDITION to MacMillan?

I really like Gettis, Scherff, and Boffeli ... and, if healthy, I think that they can man the OG spot well. However, at this juncture, Orne and Clark are still relative unknowns to me.

I was referring to MacMillan.....sorry for the scare. I heard Scherff is looking tough as hell though.....

There alot of what-ifs in your thoughts about the Iowa O. Vandy is gonna have his hands plenty full with the grind of an entire season rather than just a plug-in play here and there. By that way Vandys numbers are 47-95 for 515yds 3TD 5INTs. Better hope the "hawkeye prayers" are answered cause alot of points are gonna need to be scored. Alot of ppl are only worried about the QB i would be worried about the Defense they have areas that will be exploited. And everyone rallys behind KF but yet has a 53-44 record in the Big10? and two shared conf titles and two BCS bowl bids in 12yrs. At least we wont be sharing the conf title anymore.

My primary concern IS about the D. Fortunately, the D has a pretty nice tendency of playing at a high level ... at least when they're adequately healthy. Furthermore, having Norm back is pretty big.

Anyhow, the O will have to score a little bit more than usual ... however, I'm not so certain that it will be too much more than usual. Even in some of our relative "down years" on D ... Iowa's scoring D tends to be pretty darn solid.

When you scoring D still ends up giving up only around 20 to 22 points per game ... IN A BAD YEAR ... that still tends to bode well for us. The only caveat is that there could be a better chance this year that we finally lose a game by a larger margin (than one score).

My primary concern IS about the D. Fortunately, the D has a pretty nice tendency of playing at a high level ... at least when they're adequately healthy. Furthermore, having Norm back is pretty big.

Anyhow, the O will have to score a little bit more than usual ... however, I'm not so certain that it will be too much more than usual. Even in some of our relative "down years" on D ... Iowa's scoring D tends to be pretty darn solid.

When you scoring D still ends up giving up only around 20 to 22 points per game ... IN A BAD YEAR ... that still tends to bode well for us. The only caveat is that there could be a better chance this year that we finally lose a game by a larger margin (than one score).

Agree about the offense,Homer.
Barring injury(always a huge if) this offense could be close to 2002.
But,just like in 2002,the defense could be shaky early. Remember that defense gave up a bunch of points to ISU,PSU and Purdue? It did get better,but was always a WIP. This team could be the same.

I hope that KOK feels somewhat freed up from heavy expectations of last year,and KF also, so they throw some caution to the winds and mix it up a bit more...using Derby in a wrinkle would be a start.

Latest posts