Re-redshirt Connor?

phdsvp

I just don't see any point in him throwing away an entire year of baseball for this team at this juncture. Iowa's already out of at-large consideration. His value will be negligible at best, and he actually could make money at baseball in the future. Let the young players and walk-ons take their lumps and maybe improve throughout the season.

That said, this has been either a terribly overrated team by almost everyone who knows about basketball, or a terribly prepared team by Fran. I'm not sure which yet.

I just don't see any point in him throwing away an entire year of baseball for this team at this juncture. Iowa's already out of at-large consideration. His value will be negligible at best, and he actually could make money at baseball in the future. Let the young players and walk-ons take their lumps and maybe improve throughout the season.

That said, this has been either a terribly overrated team by almost everyone who knows about basketball, or a terribly prepared team by Fran. I'm not sure which yet.
My thoughts...

1) Relative to his peers in either sport, he is much better at baseball than basketball.

2) I have a solid enough baseball background past and present that I feel comfortable saying he could possibly play class A short right now were he to hit the cage hard. He has one advantage that 99% of baseball players don’t have, and that’s size. By physics alone he can throw harder and has more bat speed potential with those long arms and legs. That’s a huge leg up starting out.

3) If his dream is to someday play professional sports, basketball is most definitely not the way it’s going to happen. He doesn’t have to worry about money the rest of his life so that’s probably a toss-up.

My gut is that Fran is not going to tell him to redshirt right now because he needs the extra player, and doing so would be an indication or admission that he was cashing in the season already.

So, do I think he should redshirt and play baseball? Yes.

Will he? No way.

My thoughts...

1) Relative to his peers in either sport, he is much better at baseball than basketball.

2) I have a solid enough baseball background past and present that I feel comfortable saying he could possibly play class A short right now were he to hit the cage hard. He has one advantage that 99% of baseball players don’t have, and that’s size. By physics alone he can throw harder and has more bat speed potential with those long arms and legs. That’s a huge leg up starting out.

3) If his dream is to someday play professional sports, basketball is most definitely not the way it’s going to happen. He doesn’t have to worry about money the rest of his life so that’s probably a toss-up.

My gut is that Fran is not going to tell him to redshirt right now because he needs the extra player, and doing so would be an indication or admission that he was cashing in the season already.

So, do I think he should redshirt and play baseball? Yes.

Will he? No way.
Out of curiosity what is this based on? Not saying it is false but I have a hard time believing some of it.

He was a top 100 player in basketball. I would think a HS baseball player who was much better that that would almost certainly be drafted in the first 5 rounds. That would be hard money to pass up.I know the basketball thing scares away people in lower rounds.

His numbers for Iowa HS baseball last year were very good but by no means exceptional as you would expect from a player of that magnitude.

#3 I agree with

Iowa basketball players tend to get pro contracts somewhere. Cole, Gatens, Marble, White, Clemmons, Gesell, Jok, Uthoff, Olaseni, Basabe, Oglesby, Woodbury and McCabe all for sure played some overseas ball or NBDL. Even Darius Stokes signed an overseas deal! Connor can make money playing basketball at a minor league level just as easily as he can play Class A baseball. If he was already projected as a better baseball player than that, he'd have already been drafted last year. Jake Christensen, for instance, still went in the 50th round in 2005 even though they obviously knew he was playing football at Iowa. Someone would've taken a flyer on Connor in the draft, basketball or no basketball, IMO.

Glad you can add your expertise to the evaluation of this team after a few pre season games. And, of course, you know how to evaluate Fran. Boy, I sure am glad you are nothing, if not consistent. Fire everyone and start all over again. Yup. That has worked well at most other Power 5 schools that are following that path.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity what is this based on? Not saying it is false but I have a hard time believing some of it.

He was a top 100 player in basketball. I would think a HS baseball player who was much better that that would almost certainly be drafted in the first 5 rounds. That would be hard money to pass up.I know the basketball thing scares away people in lower rounds.

His numbers for Iowa HS baseball last year were very good but by no means exceptional as you would expect from a player of that magnitude.

#3 I agree with

He wasn't top 100 in basketball.

If this team has any chance next year...They desperately need Connor to get some PG experience this year.

No that doesn't mean I'm giving up on this year necessarily.

i don't think we can afford to RS Connor in hoops. I didn't see 1 second of Iowa in the Caymans, but from what it sounded like, JBo was exposed, defensively; which is something I've stated about him in the past. From the little i saw from Connor in the exhibition games, he's got more defensive foot speed than JBo and he has length at 6'5" and that length can help him defensively.

I'm sorry Connor got hurt, but its nice to get a chance to see Dailey. I think Dailey has a ton of potential. I don't see where Connor or Ellingson has more potential than Dailey if he works hard.

#3 I agree with
It's really hard to tell what his true baseball potential is, considering how much time he spent playing basketball. How good would he be if he played baseball 24/7/365? I am not speaking from any point of baseball knowledge and have not seen CM play any baseball. Just pointing out the thought process.

Argument is that he should get a lot of playing time and valuable experience only being a SO next year. What a stud to actually have a choice like this.