re: Gregory / Forbes / Whomever, are the details worked out

BSpringsteen

At this point in the game, are the details already worked out?

In other words, Gregory/Forbes won't interview until after his season over but has his agent already worked out X number of dollars over Y number of years? So that the financial side is done, and the only decision is whether or not we want to hire him?

Because it would seem unusual to me that the financial side could be left open and negotiated so quickly upon a hire this week.

I seriously think people need to let the Forbes talk go. I find it highly, I mean highly unlikely that Steve Forbes will be announced as Iowa's head coach.

Think about Forbes for a second. I mean really think about it.

1. The guy hasn't had a sniff at a head coaching gig at the D-1 level and you going to hand over the keys for him to coach Iowa.
2. He is happy with going from asst. to asst. job and making what 150k tops. Because he is waiting for the right opportunity? Seriously that sounds absurd to me. 3. To get your name out there you must be willing to take risks. One because you feel you can do it ( be a head coach) and two to position yourself to get offers. He hasn't done it and as a result will not be Coaching at Iowa.

A risk I highly doubt Barta/Search Committee is willing to take. This is to much of a mystery. Iowa needs none of that.

Last edited:
No disrespect to your comment on Forbes, but frankly, handing the keys over to any of the other names being mentioned in the media about this job scares me just as much. They are being mentioned just as much for who they assisted as they are where the are now. If you did not work for Izzo, you are off the list, basically. We went from Butler to lookinig at Sienna, Tulsa, Dayton, Wright State. Even the candidates from Utah, Utah State, right now, are not appealing.

I don't see any of these people putting butts in seats or top recruits on the floor. The good candidates seem more intested in Oregon, for goodness sakes. Scary.

Yes, Oregon would be a better job...I mean with Nike and Phil Knight as huge donors and the money and contacts they have. Oregon is a much better job.

Last edited:
Yes, Oregon would be a better job...I mean with Nike and Phil Knight as huge donors and the money and contacts they have. Oregon is a much better job.

Except for having a micro-managing booster with huge demands on making a job that drips with pressure. That job you may have too many bosses.

Yeah, Oregon is a better job right now. Eugene is Iowa City west, with loss frigid temperatures. They also have access to rich recruiting areas with less competition. Finally, the PK factor.

I don't know much about Forbes except what I have found here but with his ties to the state, relative youth and recruiting contacts he is no worse choice than Lute was way back when. I definitely do not want a coach from Murray St., Tulsa, Dayton etc.
I will support whomever they choose and hope they do it soon, however. It is their job and, unfortunately, they make way more money than me to make the decision.

No disrespect to your comment on Forbes, but frankly, handing the keys over to any of the other names being mentioned in the media about this job scares me just as much. They are being mentioned just as much for who they assisted as they are where the are now. If you did not work for Izzo, you are off the list, basically. We went from Butler to lookinig at Sienna, Tulsa, Dayton, Wright State. Even the candidates from Utah, Utah State, right now, are not appealing.

I don't see any of these people putting butts in seats or top recruits on the floor. The good candidates seem more intested in Oregon, for goodness sakes. Scary.

In the end Gary Barta is not going to hand over the keys to the Iowa Program to a guy named Steve Forbes. Not Happening!!!

Sorry but I disagree with the appealing part. Nothing more unappealing than taking a chance on a guy who hasn't himself taken a chance. Steve Forbes has done nothing to make a name for himself other than recruit a couple players to play for a Bruce Pearl Tennessee Program. That's appealing to you? Fact is recruits are lining up at the door to play for Bruce Pearl. How hard is that to recruit for?

Seriously you think Steve Forbes is going to spike sales to Carver? Why because he is from Lone Tree Iowa and this is his dream job. For which he is lobbying for. Not buying it..

Last edited:

Latest posts