Re-evaluating the program

Fran won't change, or even admit there is a problem. He is pure arrogance, not an ounce of introspective humility in him. The only thing he will understand is being fired. His arrogance was on display when he thought saying what said he said to the ref after the OSU game was OK as long as no one else heard it. Or playing his inept son in critical situations. Or when criticized for his extension after a shitty year that his mediocre body of work was why he should be returned. He is a shitty coach, an even worse person and has no business being employed by the U of I.
Sadly there is a lot of truth to this. Let's just face the facts people.

I want to start of by saying the program is in a better place now than when FM took over 9 years ago. In 2010 we were no where near being competitive let alone thinking about an NCAA tournament bid. The fans have come back for the most part and we care about Hawkeye basketball again.

Let’s be real here. FM nor GB, no matter how bad you or I want it, will be be shown the door. With that being said some major re-evaluating of the program NEEDS to be addressed. Everything from coaching style to the coaching staff to player evaluations need to be gone over with a fine tooth comb.

I feel like this program lacks an identity. We are supposed to be an aggressive offensive team that presses and gets up and down floor. Yet we lack the shooters and/or athletes to make that work. This all comes down to recruiting. FM needs to re-evaluate what type of player he’s bring into the program. He has missed out way too often on the recruiting trail. For every Aaron White there has been 4 Maishe Dailey’s.....meaning that he has fallen back on project type players that just don’t develop into anything greater than that. As an example JBo might go down as maybe one of the greatest Hawkeyes ever statistically, but outside of being an amazing shooter he is limited in almost every other facet of the game. He should not be relied upon as your first and sometimes only option.

Also, FM coaching style lends to late season collapses. He coaches with an unwavering passion which after a few months can become tiresome to a player, especially ones who have been around the program for a few years. If he doesn’t want that to happen he needs to tweek, not change his coaching style.

Defensively, this program is a mess. I’m not sure this staff really knows how to fix this. Some of it goes back to the types of players FM recruits. We lack quickness at every position to play man to man let alone a press. Heck, we lack the foot speed to really even play an aggressive zone. Plus we are a weak rebounding team. We seem to lack the desire to rebound, which rebounding is mainly about desire and positioning.

I really hope FM takes a long look in the mirror and addresses the tough questions. Otherwise he should be the former Iowa basketball coach sooner rather than later.

Had season tickets for 20 years and now can't watch more than a part of an Iowa game. Time for a change