R'berg: Iowa wins Rose and Stoops to Big 10

iahawk20

In the next decade. Check out #8 and #9.

Big Ten Blog - ESPN

What are we supposed to call the new decade? The twenty-teens? Anyway, the Big Ten will be playing football in the next 10 years -- unless I didn't get the memo -- and we can expect some changes and new developments in the league.

Here are 10 things to look out for in the Big Ten during the upcoming decade, in no particular order.

1. The Big Ten will expand: There's a good chance the league's most recent expansion push, announced in December, will result in a new member or members. And even if it doesn't, expect some type of expansion to take place before 2020. A Big Ten championship game in football will be a huge success for the league.

2. A new coach at Penn State: No one thought Joe Paterno would still be coaching at age 83, and who's to say he won't be roaming the sidelines at Beaver Stadium in 2020. But the odds are the Lead Lion will step down at some point this decade, taking the all-time coaching victories record with him. Needless to say, it'll be an extremely tough act to follow.

3. A new Big Ten commissioner: Jim Delany's current contract runs through June 2013, and it's likely he'll step down at that point. Last summer, Delany told me, "I'll be here for the next five years or so. That's my horizon." Expect the Big Ten to be looking for a new lead administrator for the first time since 1989.

4. Two national titles: It hasn't happened since the 1970s, but the SEC's reign has to end sometime, and the Big Ten remains in a strong position to reach the national title game on a consistent basis. Jim Tressel wins another title before retirement, and another Big Ten team, possibly Michigan, sits atop the college football world.

5. An intraleague head-coaching change: It happens in other leagues (SEC, ACC, Pac-10) and has taken place before in the Big Ten, though not for a while. This will be the decade we'll see a Big Ten head coach jump to another post within the league. Regional recruiting knowledge is so vital in this day and age, and schools will look within the league to fill vacancies.

6. Jim Tressel will be named Big Ten Coach of the Year: The Vest has done everything else at Ohio State but win a Big Ten Coach of the Year award. He'll get one this decade before leaving his post sometime before 2020. It might take a mini drop-off for the Buckeyes followed by a surprise title run, but Tressel will finally be recognized.

7. Michigan State will improve: Despite a rough year on and off the field in 2009, Michigan State is still positioned well to boost its standing in the Big Ten. Improved local recruiting and an excellent new facility will help the Spartans finally reach their potential and compete for a few Big Ten titles.

8. Iowa will win a Rose Bowl: It hasn't happened since 1959, but the Hawkeyes will go to Pasadena and win a game before 2020. Hanging onto head coach Kirk Ferentz will continue to be a challenge, but before he leaves for the NFL, Iowa will win a Big Ten title and a Rose Bowl championship.

9. Bob Stoops will return to the Big Ten: Stoops has a few more years left at Oklahoma, but he'll eventually return to his native Midwest. If Tressel retires at Ohio State, Stoops will be one of the leading candidates there, and he also might go back to his alma mater, Iowa, should Ferentz bolt to the NFL.

10. The Big Ten will play a Thursday conference game: The Big Ten has resisted weekday games more than any other leagues, but things will change in the 2010s. The potential for national exposure will be too great to pass up, and the Big Ten will schedule a league game or two on Thursdays

-I'm suprised Tressel as never been awarded coach of the year.

-I don't see a coaching "transfer" within the conference happening.

-Iowa will continue to struggle to keep Ferentz here? The only struggle has been the media's inability to grasp the fact that, even after 11 years as head coach, and 20+ years coaching at Iowa overall, Kirk is here for the long haul.

-I doubt Bob Stoops would ever consider coming back to Iowa. An unlikely OSU vacancy might be a little more realistic, though.

I agree about The Vest not winning a Big Ten Coach of the Year award.I guess it just goes to show ,with all that talent he should be on top of the conference..

The Vest not getting a CotY award was very surprising. I think he should keep the streak alive and end up without one.

It would be hard to imagine a coaching shift within the B10. Very odd.

I wonder if R'berg is thinking KF to replace JoPa with that intra-conference coaching swap garbage ...

If so I think he would have said that. Rittenberg has pretty much shot down KF leaving Iowa for another college gig, but apparently thinks at some point down the road he may try the NFL.

If KF were to leave for the NFL and fail (would KOK be his OC in the NFL?) I could see him either:

A) Decide he still has some fight in him and take the PSU job if JoPa was still there and ready to retire,(assuming Iowa was comfy with his replacement) or

B) Completely retire and just do occasional speaking gigs on something like "How to Maintain a High Level of Integrity in the Sporting Business" after he pens a best-selling book. Or

C) Deciding to retire from big time college football and enjoy his "retirement" coaching at a small Division III school out east (he has mentioned something like this before.)

Sorry about the KOK reference. I don't think he's all that bad, really. But I don't see him being the NFL coordinator we are seeing in todays pro league. But what do I know?

Disclaimer: this only an opinion.:)

I don't see Ferentz going to the NFL but you can't say he never will. Let's say 5-6 years down the road, Iowa has won a Rose Bowl and the Chiefs and his boy Pioli come calling again. If he thinks that's his last real shot at an NFL job, he might have to look long and hard at it.

Kirk's said something to this effect...but I think Kirk will wait until he gets up into his 60's and near retirement and then give the NFL one shot....he's said something like he's always seen the NFL as something to do at the end...so that way if it doesn't work out he can just ride off into the sunset. I like that thinking, and to tell you the truth...you're kidding yourself if you think Kirk will stay at Iowa like Joe Pa...I just see Kirk as the type that will want to get out and finally settle down with his family. And I don't think not coaching will truly eat at him that much.

Latest posts