Rattler leaving Oklahoman: Shouldn't Iowa try to get him?

Should Iowa try to get Spencer Rattler off of the transfer portal if he leaves Oklahoma?

• Yes

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • No.

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters

cincyhawk

Spencer Rattler removed Oklahoma from his social media. It looks like he's lost qb1 permanently and is headed to the NFL or transfer portal. Would it be worth getting him for 1 year?

I said no simply because I don't see Iowa bringing in a back up QB for a year. That's not my way of saying Petras is the man, but I don't see him being replaced by a QB from outside the program that would be there for a year. I'm also in the group that thinks the QB play issues have been more a product of a struggling Oline then the QB. I guess I still see Petras as a middle of the pack QB, that could be serviceable if he had time in the pocket for things to open up downfield.

I said no simply because I don't see Iowa bringing in a back up QB for a year. That's not my way of saying Petras is the man, but I don't see him being replaced by a QB from outside the program that would be there for a year. I'm also in the group that thinks the QB play issues have been more a product of a struggling Oline then the QB. I guess I still see Petras as a middle of the pack QB, that could be serviceable if he had time in the pocket for things to open up downfield.
Rattler has 3 and a half years left of eligibility.

2019 - Redshirted
2020 - Doesn't count because of COVID
2021 - Still has half the year left because of the one-time transfer rule
2022 - Second year of eligibility
2023 - Third year of eligibility
2024 - Fourth year of eligibility

That said, F no. KF would never go after a guy like that and he shouldn't. No primadonnas here, please. Save the drama for your mama.

This gets you benched at OU. Stats aren't the end all be all, but I wouldn't say he played like total shit. Williams is just better.

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGSACKRTG

This gets you benched at OU. Stats aren't the end all be all, but I wouldn't say he played like total shit. Williams is just better.

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGSACKRTG
Nobody who gets benched like Rattler did is leaving early to go to the NFL. People here (and elsewhere) claiming he's going to only be around for a year are wrong. If that guy leaves early it's going to be as an UDFA on a practice squad somewhere getting cut before 53 man rosters.

If he can't make it at Oklahoma with the athletes he has around him playing against Big 12 defenses, there's no way in hell he'd make it at Iowa.

Knowing what little I've heard about the kid I don't think he'd fit with KF... Talent wise I'm sure he's pretty good. But talent isn't the end all be all at that position and that's what I think that's all about with his situation.

Only way Iowa would want to bring in any transfer qb I would think is if say a current qb or 2 were leaving ours. They wouldn't bring one in just to compete with Petras. He'd and or Padilla would have to be leaving to go closer to home or something for that to happen.

Rattler has 3 and a half years left of eligibility.

2019 - Redshirted
2020 - Doesn't count because of COVID
2021 - Still has half the year left because of the one-time transfer rule
2022 - Second year of eligibility
2023 - Third year of eligibility
2024 - Fourth year of eligibility

That said, F no. KF would never go after a guy like that and he shouldn't. No primadonnas here, please. Save the drama for your mama.
Didn't realize he had that many left. I'm with you though. Not so sure I want primadonnas that get butt hurt after losing their starting position to Freshman midseason and then respond by removing the program they're affiliated with from social media.

I voted yes because I wouldn't mind having more talent on the team. If he fucks up, show him the door.
If you brought that kid on, at least two of our guys would immediately transfer and then if you show Rattler the door, what would you do then?

That would be the ultimate shit show. Check out the kid's social media. He's basically a Johnny Manziel Jr. Absolute non-fit to the Iowa culture.

People gotta understand that our team and culture don't work with Hollywood type egos. An Oklahoma can risk bringing on a head case because they have a Caleb Williams waiting in the wings if it doesn't pan out.

This guy is an amazing talent at QB and could still be playing on Sundays. I don't blame him one bit for wanting to leave after struggling in 1 game, he wasn't given a very long leash at all. I don't get all the prima donna accusations either, I'm looking at his Twitter account and I don't see it.

Even though he would be a HUGE step up to Petras there is no way KF would bring in a transfer to replace him, that's not how KF rolls.

If you brought that kid on, at least two of our guys would immediately transfer and then if you show Rattler the door, what would you do then?

That would be the ultimate shit show. Check out the kid's social media. He's basically a Johnny Manziel Jr. Absolute non-fit to the Iowa culture.

People gotta understand that our team and culture don't work with Hollywood type egos. An Oklahoma can risk bringing on a head case because they have a Caleb Williams waiting in the wings if it doesn't pan out.
You might be right.....but if those 2 kids behind Petras can't beat him out....is that such a bad thing?

What are you talking about? I can’t find anything primadonna like in his profile. After getting benched on Oct 10th, here's his tweet:

> Huge team win yesterday. Proud of all my brothers. 6-0!

How bout this one:

> Support @TulaneAthletics charity to help with Hurricane IDA. Please keep them in your prayers.

How bout this one?

He's done nothing primadona-like that I can see on twitter and all his Instagram has are still shots of him and football. He's not calling himself the "Dough Boys" because he gets to the money.

If I were to compare his public personality to a Friday Night Lights character, he'd be Matt Saracen, not Voodoo Tatum.

He's a high-level recruit that just lost his job. His home crowd booed him and chanted "We want Caleb." He hasn't announced that he's transferring and taking his talents to South Beach or anything. He's not tweeting "Fucc Oklahoma." You don't know spit about the kid, and you're already disparaging his character.

And he has P5 starting experience and is a clear upgrade at qb, especially with his legs.

Just like Jake Ruddock, he knew he wouldn't have a chance to win it back... so why not transfer and get some playing time elsewhere? Because it's done at Oklahoma.

I voted yes. The QBs we have obviously lack something.

Looking at those stats with our defense and STs, we would be a legit natty contender.

F KF if he is to stubborn to take on a character or 2. Man up and lay out your expectations. Kids respond to expectations. And it could 100% guarantee BF the next HC job.

If he can't make it at Oklahoma with the athletes he has around him playing against Big 12 defenses, there's no way in hell he'd make it at Iowa.
This is my worry, but just the fact that he can move and throw while not being run first and protects the football makes me think he'd be worth a look. Like Wilson to Wisconsin .

Latest posts