Rate The Hire 1 to 10

solid 7. Given the financial restraints and the current coaching climate I should probably rate it higher. Who else would come for this amount that would be a better fit. I am talking about 1.5 million like it is a poor salary. Coaches' pay is out of control.

If I have to rate the hire right now, I give it a 2. That isnt a reflection on McCaffrey as much as it is a reflection on Barta.
At this point, I like Fran better than I like Barta.
I would be willing to bump this to a 6 if Barta had made sure that a top flight recruiter was on staff. For some reason, he cant figure that out.

I'll play along and rate the hire as a 5. I like everything he said in the PC today but whether it is fair or not, I'm not ready to rate it any higher without him having coached a game for a team in a major conference. Probably better yet, I'll wait to see what kind of talent he can bring in which I think will be an even bigger factor.

To summarize, he seems to be saying the right things but actions speak louder than words.

When I first heard the name...3. After doing research Sunday night...6.5. After sleeping on it...7. After the press conference today...8.5.

I don't completely understand what we are judging. If it is how good of a coach McCaffery will be then 6 right now... the assistant coaches will be extremely important.

If it is how good of a hire for Barta... I'd give this a 9. We couldn't get a big name I wouldn't dock Barta for that. McCaffrey has had success, plays uptempo, graduates 100% of players who stay through eligibility, connects with fans and former players.

Well done Barta... now I can't wait to be able to rate assistant coaches! :D

I usually consider myself a tough grader. Being on a 10 point scale, 10 is the perfect coach. Not sure anybody would get a ten. But with what this program needs now, this guy is a solid 7.5. His vision and plan for success gets him around 8. Whether or not he can recruit athletes that can get this place hoppin again, would get him to an 8.5 or 9.
So somewhere between 7.5 and 8 with room for improvement.

Latest posts