Rastetter is the Kingmaker Now

Skorton's appointment to the Smithsonian underscores what a powerful, effective leader he has been and would have been for the University of Iowa, where he spent nearly 30 years as a physician, faculty member, and ultimately, president. After being chased away by Regent forces wishing to knock the UI down a notch or two (mainly Gartner and Harkin), he went on to become the "billion dollar man" at Cornell, where he was as immensely popular as he had been at Iowa. Sadly, the repercussions from the Skorton beat-down have continued to this day, with Sally Mason forever having to carefully appease the power brokers in Des Moines. It is hard to imagine Mason's successor being any stronger than she has been because the Regents want a "yes sir, how far do I need to bend over?" appointee--the opposite of someone like Skorton.

Rastetter and Kirk are very close. As in, Kirk is an investor in MANY of Rastetters businesses so I would highly doubt this will hurt Kirk in anyway.

So, if true; where is the U of I Conflict of Interest policy? How can the head football coach be a major investor in the head of the board of reagents company?

Latest posts