Rankings ?

Is part of Iowa's low ranking due to the fact some teams have recruited more players?

Just saw the updated Rivals list and Iowa is #52 while ISU is #58. Maybe the fact they added a few guys at the last minute jumped the Hawks up. Oh well, better than being #61.

Mike Hlas at the Gazette had an article today about Iowa vs Northwestern at Wrigley Field in 2014...maybe. Also, he talked about NW's recent success on the football field and a new multi purpose piece of construction that they are going to spend $225 million on..first I had heard of that! But the most interesting question he asked was, "Where has NW's recruiting class ranking in the last 5 years?" I just don't get too excited about the rankings.

Mike Hlas at the Gazette had an article today about Iowa vs Northwestern at Wrigley Field in 2014...maybe. Also, he talked about NW's recent success on the football field and a new multi purpose piece of construction that they are going to spend $225 million on..first I had heard of that! But the most interesting question he asked was, "Where has NW's recruiting class ranking in the last 5 years?" I just don't get too excited about the rankings.

Easy to do when classes are consistently underwhelming. Add this to the fact that our coach still thinks we can do the same shiat game after game, year after year w/o any adjustments to strategy, personnel, etc and you have the gigantic pile that was Iowa football last year. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to pull in top 35 classes. None.

Easy to do when classes are consistently underwhelming. Add this to the fact that our coach still thinks we can do the same shiat game after game, year after year w/o any adjustments to strategy, personnel, etc and you have the gigantic pile that was Iowa football last year. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to pull in top 35 classes. None.

I would guess that this class will turn out to be a lot closer to 35 than where ever the various polls have them today. No...I can't prove it except by seeing how they turn out. I will be at all of their games...how about you?

I would guess that this class will turn out to be a lot closer to 35 than where ever the various polls have them today. No...I can't prove it except by seeing how they turn out. I will be at all of their games...how about you?

Maybe so. I guess the one thing that pleases me about this class is that they purposefully when after some guys with speed. Have to see how that plays out with our "offense" next year. I am never able to make it to all games as I live out of state. I go when I can, but if next year even remotely resembles the garbage we were served last year I won't be attending any games. I'll still watch them (always have and always will), but don't have the disposable income to be wasting $100's to make the trip home to watch that product in person. Especially when I'll be trying to purchase a home and start a family.

I know its been said but YES quantity does play a factor and in some instances could be big factor. Numbers are just numbers, alot of times looked at to much. Osu and Mich are far and away recruiting better then everyone else with Neb pretty good to. 4-12 really isn't a whole lot different.

Considering this class has no real high caliber athletes in it I think ranked #51 by Rivals is pretty fair. If we are expecting to get back to winning on a regular basis again however Kirk needs to be able to squeeze all the talent of these guys he can like he used to.

I can't take recruiting and signing days. These kids are treated like heroes and they haven't done anything yet. Put on the Black and Gold, make some plays, and then it's interesting.

Sorry, but there is just no sign of that. This class is most directly comparable to the 2008 class that, along with the 2009 class, is a key reason why Iowa has stumbled the last two seasons. Odds are there will be a few guys that become starters, but many will be hard pressed to take starting jobs from guys that are already on the roster or who will be joining in subsequent classes.

Or, if many do take jobs, then it will coincide with KF's next downturn.

Last edited:
Sorry, but there is just no sign of that. This class is most directly comparable to the 2008 class that, along with the 2009 class, is a key reason why Iowa has stumbled the last two seasons. Odds are there will be a few guys that become starters, but many will be hard pressed to take starting jobs from guys that are already on the roster or who will be joining in subsequent classes.

Or, if many do take jobs, then it will coincide with KF's next downturn.

You know how ridiculous that sounds,right? Saying that this class is the same as the 2008 class,when they have zero correlation to each other? That is like saying that Robert Gallery was the same as a 2 star TE in this class,and they will turn out exactly the same. These guys are not robots,you might be surprised to discover. They are human beings,with different potential,and different work ethics,genetics,ect. You cannot even take two humans with almost exactly the same genetics,ie, Michael Jordan,and his son, and predict how they will turn out as bb players. This just in...not an exact science.

Actually, when all things are considered, it is fairly easy to compare success based on recruiting and Iowa football. People like to pull out the few diamonds in the rough (Gallery, Greenway, etc.) as examples of why recruiting is so hard to figure out. But, what they don't also consider is that the better Iowa teams during Ferentz' time also had players that were not diamonds in the rough.

Go back at look at the classes over the years. It is fairly easy to see how recruiting coincides with the KF three year trends.

Now, as far as your Jordan comment goes. Um, everybody could predict where Jordan's kids were with respect to physical ability by the time they were seniors in high school. If you don't know that you don't pay attention.

if you look at the 2004 class. all 2 and 3 stars.... except for belleus a juco 4 star... anyways i can find 7 nfl players in that class with several starting for their respective teams...