Ranking the Big Ten Linebackers — Legends Division

HawkeyeHypnosis

Ranking the B1G Linebackers: Legends Division

Came across this. Another view of things. From article:

4. Iowa
Starters: Anthony Hitchens, Christian Kirksey, James Morris

Backups: Quinton Alston, Marcus Collins, Shane DiBona, Cole Fisher, Palmer Foster, Dakota Getz, Macon Plewa, Travis Perry, Jim Poggi, Laron Taylor*

The Iowa linebackers will be looked upon to lead the Hawkeye defense this year, and they should prove quite capable. James Morris had 110 tackles as a sophomore in the middle last year, but battled injuries over the second half of the season. We have yet to see exactly what he's capable of. Christian Kirksey also finished with 110 tackles on the outside, and brings speed enough to go from sideline to sideline. Anthony Hitchens will be the third linebacker, and they also like his ability to run, though size (6-1 224) is a concern for some.

With a new defensive coordinator calling plays for Iowa this year in Phil Parker, the promise of linebacker blitzes has pleased everyone. Morris, Kirksey and Hitchens combined for just one sack last season, and with a completely unproven defensive line, they will need to be called upon to get after the quarterback routinely this season. Aside from the three starters, however, there are serious depth issues. If there are injury problems, the Hawkeyes could be in trouble.

At #4, I'm wondering if I'm the only one who feels this way. I think our linebackers are overrated.
Stats don't tell the whole story as our D has always been designed to funnel most of the tackles to the linebackers. I'm just not that impressed with our LB talent right now.

At #4, I'm wondering if I'm the only one who feels this way. I think our linebackers are overrated.
Stats don't tell the whole story as our D has always been designed to funnel most of the tackles to the linebackers. I'm just not that impressed with our LB talent right now.

I'm torn on this. I think the vast majority of the fanbase tends to overrate our LBs, especially Morris since he's a local kid and everyone wants him to be really good.

On the other hand, the B1G blog at ESPN had our LB corps all the way down at 8th in the league, which is absurd.

Re: Ranking the Big Ten Linebackers � Legends Division

Linebackers are underrated in my opinion....i think we will be pleasently surprised...

I agree with the assessment that Morris overrated. Dude did not have a good year last year, and his freshman year was only good in the context that he was a freshman.

Alston and Kirksey are both real deal LB's though, so as a unit, I think 4 is about right.

They will be able to run, but not hold up at point of contact unless they have a head of steam. Best method might be to stunt like crazy. These guys will not be able to shed blocks, so they will need to beat the blocker to the hole. Also, they will give up ground on the tackle, so they need to be meeting the ball carrier at or before the line of scrimmage.

Morris played hurt most of the season last year. Not over rated. Look at his stats over a two year period. Iowa has changed directions on line backers due to the use of the spread offenses in the league. They are now leaner and faster...of course, you cannot have it both ways...they will give up some bulk and physical presence inside. I recall many comments on this board a couple of years ago that were critical of our linebackers because they were weak in pass coverage. We shall see, but I think they will be a strength of this team.

Everything I've heard from insiders is that Morris was really limited by his injury last year. If he isn't impressive this fall, then you can criticize him.

Morris played hurt most of the season last year. Not over rated. Look at his stats over a two year period. Iowa has changed directions on line backers due to the use of the spread offenses in the league. They are now leaner and faster...of course, you cannot have it both ways...they will give up some bulk and physical presence inside. I recall many comments on this board a couple of years ago that were critical of our linebackers because they were weak in pass coverage. We shall see, but I think they will be a strength of this team.

This is just it. Everyone cries like crazy when spread teams come in and pass all over us. So the options are to put in a Nickel look (smaller players on the field) or play faster smaller LB. You have to pick your poison, you only get 11 players on the field. If I have a LB that is maybe 10 lbs under ideal weight, but can cover the field in the passing game, I'm all for it.

It isn't like Angerer was playing at 250 lbs people. He was listed at 235 his Senior year. Morris is listed at 230 lbs.

I talked to a guy who is in the Iowa HS Football Hall of Fame as a linebacker and played on an NAIA national championship football team at linebacker. He thinks Morris is greatly overated as several others are saying in this thread.

I agree, since he is local a lot of people give him the benefit of the doubt and think he is a stud when he is clser to average, at least so far. This guy doesn't see him getting better.

Take that for what it is worth.

Last edited:
So many people are saying that Morris is overrated. That is the word on the street lately. I am not ready to make this claim yet. He was playing most of last season with a more-than-mild ankle injury and he should be back and ready to go.

I may be wrong, but I see a breakout year from him.

So, they have MSU #1 overall in the league,and Iowa #4 overall in the league,with Michigan #5, NW #9,Neb #10 and Minny #12?

I can live with this. I think between our LBers and Secondary,they will complement each other and create synergy that makes both units perform better. Of course,the final piece would be the d-line,which needs to do their part.

Barring injury,Iowa lbs will be solid. More speed to cover spread offenses featuring mobile qbs....that works for me.

I talked to a guy who is in the Iowa HS Football Hall of Fame as a lionebacker and played on an NAIA national championship football team at linebacker. He thinks Morris is greatly overated as several others are saying in this thread.

I agree, since he is local a lot of people give him the benefit of the doubt and think he is a stud when he is clser to average, at least so far. This guy doesn't see him getting better.

Take that for what it is worth.

I hate to go this route but I have to. This Guy probably couldnt hold Morris's jock strap. NAIA calling a Big Ten football player overrated? Does the guy have football knowledge? I am sure he does. Did he play at the Big Ten level? No, he did not. I would like to know what this guy is basing Morris being overrated on. The kid was injured the majority of the season and still managed 110 tackles as a soph. I think Morris impresses this year.

Latest posts