Rank the Recruits

Wassabbe

Just for fun. Where does everyone rank the recruits for 2011 and how they will impact Iowa basketball? Here is mine:

1: Hubbard - not crazy about taking him but can't deny he has talent and more importantly he brings strength and age to the team.

2. Oglesby - we need a shooter and he is one.

3. Olasani - provides athleticism in the post. Big time pickup late in the game by White Magic and staff!!

4. White - gives us size and can shoot.

Talent wise: Hubbard, White, Oglesby, Olaseni.

Impact next year: Hubbard, Oglesby (shooter), Olaseni (Iowa is weak inside), White (I really like him, but the 3 is pretty crowded and Basabe owns the 4.)

Went back and forth on this multiple times while writing it up. Impact next year...

Hubbard (starter, should play big minutes at multiple positions)
White (6th or 7th man off the bench, will play the 3/4)
Olaseni (first Big off the bench, has possibility of earning starters minutes, would move up a spot if he does)
Oglesby (caught up in PT crunch, plays important role as sniper off the bench though)

It's going to very interesting to watch how the PT gets doled out as the season progresses. Lots of versatility on this roster. Lots of options for Fran.

Talent wise: Hubbard, White, Oglesby, Olaseni.

Impact next year: Hubbard, Oglesby (shooter), Olaseni (Iowa is weak inside), White (I really like him, but the 3 is pretty crowded and Basabe owns the 4.)

I agree with this. White is probably the 2nd best player of the group right now, but there is more of a logjam at his position, so his impact will be more limited than the others. I could see switching Oglesby and Olaseni, but that's pretty much a coin flip to me.

Hubbard, White Olaseni, Oglesby. 2-4 really have high upsides and all could be solid big ten players. Hubbard could be a star.

Hubbard is surely a star. I know that for sure, I have heard other people say that - although I have never seen him play....:rolleyes:

I hope they are all stars, but honestly how could anyone attempt to rank a player they have never seen play. Heck, most of these guys don't even have any videos on youtube....

I would guess we have some good talent in there, but don't pretend to know how they stack up.. It is ridiculous.

I know, buzzkill

Olesansi is a eleventh, oglseby is an orange golf ball, white is a m+, and Hubbard is a blue teletubby

He has a higher espn rating than katenda. I found that interesting.

I cant wait to see what fran can do with him!

1. Hubbard: He will bring maturity and hopefully fill the leadership void left by Cole. If he can score in the ways that he did at the JUCO level, Iowa has a good one. You have to like his versatility.
2. White: Another player that has tons of versatility, I don't forsee the logjam at the 3-spot because he is the second best 3-man. White can slide down and play the 4/5 even at his thin build, he plays hard and will do nothing but compete.
3. Oglesby: Should see a ton of playing time, if he is as good a shooter as advertised. Fran stated he could also see time at PG, all good things. Josh is another player that you can look at and see versatility, being able to play the 1-3 positions with his size, yes he is a little thin, but will be okay.
4. Olaseni: When all is said and done, he could be the best of the bunch, upside is tremendous. The good news is that he is probably the best or second best Center on the roster right now. Raw offensively, but wasn't Basabe? If Olaseni can come in and be a Ben Wallace type rebounder and defender, protect the rim it will change a lot of things. Also, he has the size to matchup with any 4 or 5 man in the Big Ten, not named Sullinger.

All of these players give Iowa a couple things they have been missing for a very long time: Athleticism and Size. It is exciting to see what Fran has done, all these players could be All-Big Ten in their careers at one point. It was fun to rank these guys when one isn't shaking their head thinking, who the heck are these guys?

He was ranked 92 than ESPN put him back down to 40. ESPN must have been confused how somebody they ranked that highly committed to Iowa.

Are you looking at something different than me? I see he is ranked a 40, which is essentially saying that ESPN hasn't seen him

After Olaseni is reassessed at 89-90, Oglesby will be our highest ranked recruit by ESPN at 91.

Right now I'd go with:
1) Hubbard
2) White
3) Olaseni
4) Oglesby

1. White - very unique combination of fluid skills and size. Played against really good competition and dominated all year, will be at Iowa 4 years and will pair with Mel nicely.

2. Olaseni - Legit big man who can move. Seems smart and eager to learn. Hope he has played a lot of soccer. Good record of big men starting out in that sport and become successful. Will be at Iowa 4 years.

3. Hubbard - Strong body and assertive. Has played very little organized ball. Seems to have a bit of a shaky shot. Will only be at Iowa 2 years.

4. Ogelsby - nice form on his shot. Fluid looking player. Has not asserted himself like one would expect from a legit BIG player playing against Iowa competition. Would like to see a higher 3 PT %. Doesn't create his own shot. Looks like the potential is there, but the concern is he is like May, Gatens, and McCabe having some severe limitations to his game without one specific dead-on ability that can immediately overcome the deficiencies. Good thing is coaches have four years to help him develop.

Last edited:

Latest posts