Rank fave Hawk teams--3 categories

hawkeyebob62

Okay, due to the disparity in age (and wisdom) on the board, we can break this down into 3 categories.

So name your favorite Hawkeye squad in these 3:

1) Favorite team you have been able to see (live, TV, doesn't matter) that was Rose Bowl or BCS participant, even as "at-large"
2) Favorite team you got to see that was NOT a Rose Bowl/BCS participant, even if they shared Big 10/Big Ten title
3) Favorite team you "wish" you could have seen

For me:
1) Gotta be 1985. The 2 losses that year sucked, especially the 1986 Rose Bowl, but that team was LOADED, it was my last semester, and the Michigan and Michigan State games alone were a season's worth of excitement
2) This is tough. 2004 was certainly exciting, as was 2008. The 1980s and 1990s were loaded with great teams to watch. In the end, I go with 1991. Finished 11-1-1, got a Holiday Bowl berth with a 10-1 record (if OSU had gone 10-1, they would have lobbied for a national title), Leroy Smith was a sack-monster, won AT OSU with second-string QB (Jim Hartlieb) the day after the horrific mass-shooting. Coming off the 1990 Rose Bowl season, we didn't hear that much about this team, but it was a fun team to watch.
3) This is a tough call. The 1950s Rose Bowl teams would have been awesome to watch, plus the 1960 co-champ team. The 1921-23 teams were considered "best" during that time. I would have loved to see the 1939 team, of course, or Ozzie Simmons in the early 1930s. I go with 1958, the year my (now-deceased) older brother was born.

Fav. BCS team was 2009, went to every home game and it was probably the most fun ive had during a season.

Fav. Non BCS team was 2004, team overcame adversity all year even up till the final seconds. Just an amazing team to watch.

I wish I wouldv seen the 1985 team,
But with the two losses it kind of was a let down year. Still team was loaded and wouldv been so cool to be at the michigan game.

Okay, due to the disparity in age (and wisdom) on the board, we can break this down into 3 categories.

So name your favorite Hawkeye squad in these 3:

1) Favorite team you have been able to see (live, TV, doesn't matter) that was Rose Bowl or BCS participant, even as "at-large"
2) Favorite team you got to see that was NOT a Rose Bowl/BCS participant, even if they shared Big 10/Big Ten title
3) Favorite team you "wish" you could have seen

For me:
1) Gotta be 1985. The 2 losses that year sucked, especially the 1986 Rose Bowl, but that team was LOADED, it was my last semester, and the Michigan and Michigan State games alone were a season's worth of excitement
2) This is tough. 2004 was certainly exciting, as was 2008. The 1980s and 1990s were loaded with great teams to watch. In the end, I go with 1991. Finished 11-1-1, got a Holiday Bowl berth with a 10-1 record (if OSU had gone 10-1, they would have lobbied for a national title), Leroy Smith was a sack-monster, won AT OSU with second-string QB (Jim Hartlieb) the day after the horrific mass-shooting. Coming off the 1990 Rose Bowl season, we didn't hear that much about this team, but it was a fun team to watch.
3) This is a tough call. The 1950s Rose Bowl teams would have been awesome to watch, plus the 1960 co-champ team. The 1921-23 teams were considered "best" during that time. I would have loved to see the 1939 team, of course, or Ozzie Simmons in the early 1930s. I go with 1958, the year my (now-deceased) older brother was born.

This. Every word of it. My exact same feelings.

BCS Team toss up (just broke the rules) 2002 and 1985

Non-BCS Team - 1991? That team finished 10-1-1 tied BYU in bowl game.

Team I didn't see (much) 1984 dubbed the RoseBowl express until Harmon got hurt and they lost a few games.

Favorite BCS team: 2002, it is tough not to go with 1985 because that is the first team I saw in person but the 2002 team could have played with any team in the nation that season. They just ran into a buzzsaw in Miami.

Favorite non BCS: 2003, this team maxed out. Dealt with huge injury issues at WR as Brown and Hinkel missed a lot of time. Very physical team that beat teams up. Sad to think of what might have been. They were pretty healthy for the Outback Bowl and cut Florida in half.

Favorite team I didn't see: 1981, it would have been cool to see that team break through after 17 losing seasons in a row.

bcs: 2002... went to the game in Ann arbor and came home thinking we are going to run the table and did.

non bcs: 2001.. finally saw the tides turn under ferentz and didn't lose any games in double digits. almost upset Michigan, and ended with a great win in the soaking bowl.

1985... I was 4... wish I could have rode that roller coaster.

BCS- 1981. The year that started it all. 10-7 over Nebraska. Hey! Who are these Hawks? Beat a #5, #6, #7 ranked team. Disappointing Rose Bowl. But we made it. Chuck Long is my all time favorite player.

Non BCS- 2002 Fun team. Big Drew Tate fan. Watching that video in theother thread brought back great memories. What a magician.

Team I would love to see- Easy. 1939. The Ironmen. Nile Kinnick. Beat Notre Dame when they didnt lose much. Players going both ways. A tough team in a tough era.

Last edited:
BCS: 2002. I was just old enough to enjoy football for what it was. This season is what created my die hard fanism for Iowa as I was a young kid.

Non BCS: 2008. One reason - Shonn Greene. Dude was great.

Team I wish I could see: 39, just for Kinnick's Heisman season.

And I'll add a new category if I may:
Least favorite Hawkeye team: 2010

2010 was bad, but 2007 was my least favorite team. All the off the field stuff, JC at QB, and Western Michigan all in the same year? Yeah, I can't see that abomination of a season being repeated any time soon.

And I'll add a new category if I may:
Least favorite Hawkeye team: 2010

Agreed. Actually very excited that most of the principal players from that team are no longer around even though individually some where very good or great players.

Honorable Mention: 1988, 6-4-3 record with some pretty good talent.

BCS Team toss up (just broke the rules) 2002 and 1985

Non-BCS Team - 1991? That team finished 10-1-1 tied BYU in bowl game.

Team I didn't see (much) 1984 dubbed the RoseBowl express until Harmon got hurt and they lost a few games.

Actually, that team had already lost 2 games by the time Harmon was injured, then tied Wiscy in the game where Harmon WAS injured. And the drop-off from Harmon to Owen Gill wasn't really even appreciable. Gill had been a starter and then moved to FB when Harmon became the starter. They shouldn't even have been Rose Bowl express, considering they would have been "backing in". The 1984 OSU team was pretty strong. If not for Hail Flutie, Keith Byars wins the Heisman, and very deservedly so. Dude was a beast.

In fact, we probably don't even beat OSU in 1983 if Byars hadn't gotten hurt just before the half and didn't return.

Favorite BCS team: 2002, it is tough not to go with 1985 because that is the first team I saw in person but the 2002 team could have played with any team in the nation that season. They just ran into a buzzsaw in Miami.

Favorite non BCS: 2003, this team maxed out. Dealt with huge injury issues at WR as Brown and Hinkel missed a lot of time. Very physical team that beat teams up. Sad to think of what might have been. They were pretty healthy for the Outback Bowl and cut Florida in half.

Favorite team I didn't see: 1981, it would have been cool to see that team break through after 17 losing seasons in a row.

Yeah, that 2003 team is VERY under-appreciated.

Funny thing with 1981, I wasn't shocked, because I remember at the end of 1980 and seeing who was coming back on the D side, and thinking, "Dang, if next year's team could score an extra 3 to 7 points a game, they could be looking at a bowl game". Certainly didn't think Rose Bowl, but beating Nebraska in a low-scoring game was not a shock. Beating a top 10 Nebraska AND a top 10 UCLA in the within the first 3 games kind of felt surreal, though. Winning AT Michigan took the cake!

2010 was bad, but 2007 was my least favorite team. All the off the field stuff, JC at QB, and Western Michigan all in the same year? Yeah, I can't see that abomination of a season being repeated any time soon.

I just answered his post with 1988. Why? Because I had, up until I saw your post, successfully buried the 2007 in the back of my skull. Thanks :)