Random thought about McCaffery Boys

HawkeyeStout

I've been loosely following IC West this year and had a random thought about the McCaffery boys..

I know Connor has said his dad offered him a scholarship in Junior High... I guess my question is, is it possible/realistic to not give him a scholarship at all? I mean, when asked if he committed he basically said there's no way he's going anywhere else. So I'm having this idea that if Iowa didn't offer him anything, he would still go here and then they could use the scholarship on someone else... Is that even possible? I don't know all the ins and outs of recruiting your own children but I'm pretty sure Alford's kid at UCLA did something like that

It is possible, but rarely done from my understanding. If I'm a coach making millions already, why not pay my kid's way, and then basically give myself a free extra scholarship to use on someone else. The amount paid to send your kid to school and free up a scholarship to field a better team could be more recouped in bonuses by having a higher quality team. Some will say if the kid earned it then they should get the scholarship, but it doesn't take away anything from what they've accomplished.

I've been loosely following IC West this year and had a random thought about the McCaffery boys..

I know Connor has said his dad offered him a scholarship in Junior High... I guess my question is, is it possible/realistic to not give him a scholarship at all? I mean, when asked if he committed he basically said there's no way he's going anywhere else. So I'm having this idea that if Iowa didn't offer him anything, he would still go here and then they could use the scholarship on someone else... Is that even possible? I don't know all the ins and outs of recruiting your own children but I'm pretty sure Alford's kid at UCLA did something like that

Hey Stout, I believe Connor's already committed. I think you're talking about Patrick's interview from last week...and I've always wondered about these things as well. I don't know if there's a "spirit of the rule" type of thing that comes with coaches and their kids or not, but if I remember correctly, all of Kirk's kids were/still are on scholarship as well.

You just gave me a homework assignment for the morning cuz now that I have a big cup of coffee in hand, I'm going to look it up!

I found this article from SBNation...try to look past it being a Husker article...

http://www.cornnation.com/2013/7/3/4490836/should-coaches-children-take-athletic-scholarships

"There isn't an NCAA rule against coaches paying for their child-athlete's education. The McDermotts are doing it. Nebraska associate athletic director Jamie Williams' son Evan is a freshman walk-on quarterback for the Huskers. I suspect the real answer comes down to players having a sense of earning a scholarship on their own ability, as opposed to having Dad pay their way."

I read an article a few months back about Alfords son at UCLA. It was being questioned if Alford would pull Bryces scholarship so he could offer some 5 star stud that they really wanted but had no available sholarships

Hey Stout, I believe Connor's already committed. I think you're talking about Patrick's interview from last week...and I've always wondered about these things as well. I don't know if there's a "spirit of the rule" type of thing that comes with coaches and their kids or not, but if I remember correctly, all of Kirk's kids were/still are on scholarship as well.

You just gave me a homework assignment for the morning cuz now that I have a big cup of coffee in hand, I'm going to look it up!

I don't believe Steven Ferentz is on scholarship right now, but I could be wrong.

I don't believe Steven Ferentz is on scholarship right now, but I could be wrong.
That's true he is a walk on. Came as a TE to begin with I think he's like 2nd or 3rd string center now. His other boys played and started a lot and earned their own schollys. I have no problem with kids who start and play a lot receiving scholarships. Coaches kids or not. If I were the kid I'd want to know that if I earned one I could have it. Being the coaches kid on a team would be tough enough. Getting preferential treatment in some people eyes by getting a scholly when you don't deserve it would be terrible. And flip that if you do deserve one and don't only because of who your Dad is wouldn't be great either. Everyone looks at things from their own eyes and not the kids themselves...

Seems to be in his dad's best interest to not give a scholarship to his son. It lets him keep another one open for someone else. In fact, if it were legal, his dad would probably pay for several players in order to be able to recruit several more.

Latest posts