Ralph Miller

gordonearl

When Ralph coached Iowa he hated turnovers with a passion. He was not afraid to bench a player for turning the ball over. I would like to see Fran do that. Yelling at them does not seem to work.

Unfortunately, we still have to have 5 on the floor at a time. With the way our guards have played...it would be difficult to bench them continuously after every turnover. Honestly, I think Fran has a pretty quick hook. He gets you on the bench immediately when he doesn't like something...especially Melsahn.

On saturday our guards Bryce(6),Devyn(4),Josh(2)...all had turnovers.
Only Matt was spotless. I will say I wish that Fran had put Matt out front vs their zone in the first half debacle stretch. He makes the best decisions.
Also wish they had made sure that Matt got the ball in the last minute in the offense. Clear out,and let him take a bomb if needed. Hated the possession where Bryce and Josh toss it back and forth til Bryce penetrated,jumped,and threw it out of bounds. Get Matt out there,hand him the ball,and let him operate.

With this style of basketball turnovers are going to happen. Honestly if I am coaching I would not want my guards to be afraid of making a turnover because if they are not turning the ball over once in a while then they are not taking chances. You want your guards taking chances once in a while making that awesome pass that results in a momentum changing slam dunk.

Under Miller the Hawks played "real" up tempo! The 1970 team averaged over 100 points a game - with no shot clock and no 3 point shot!:eek:

Under Miller the Hawks played "real" up tempo! The 1970 team averaged over 100 points a game - with no shot clock and no 3 point shot!:eek:

I never had the chance to watch any Miller teams, I can barely remember the Lute era. But if they did play an up tempo game did he really bench a guy for making 1 turnover?

I never had the chance to watch any Miller teams, I can barely remember the Lute era. But if they did play an up tempo game did he really bench a guy for making 1 turnover?

If your name was Freddie Brown, Chad Calabria, John Johnson or Glenn Vidnovic, no. Of course, they didn't make too many turnovers. But if you were a marginal player or a reserve, yes. Marble & Oglesby would have been on the bench real quick Saturday with Ralph.

On saturday our guards Bryce(6),Devyn(4),Josh(2)...all had turnovers.
Only Matt was spotless. I will say I wish that Fran had put Matt out front vs their zone in the first half debacle stretch. He makes the best decisions.
Also wish they had made sure that Matt got the ball in the last minute in the offense. Clear out,and let him take a bomb if needed. Hated the possession where Bryce and Josh toss it back and forth til Bryce penetrated,jumped,and threw it out of bounds. Get Matt out there,hand him the ball,and let him operate.

Excellent post. I know many do not think McCaffrey makes mistakes, but he really did a poor job of making adjustments Saturday. Per your post, put Gatens up top and put Marble down in the paint or running the baseline. No idea why Gatens didn't get more touches in the 2nd half. Against NW you don't need an All American PG, you just need somebody that recognizes what the defense is doing and makes the appropriate decision.

Last edited:
If your name was Freddie Brown, Chad Calabria, John Johnson or Glenn Vidnovic, no. Of course, they didn't make too many turnovers. But if you were a marginal player or a reserve, yes. Marble & Oglesby would have been on the bench real quick Saturday with Ralph.

Until about mid 1970's defense in college basketball was much milder. Teams trapped and pressed but there wasnt in your shirt defense and all the clutching and grabbing. If you get a chance to watch footage from the 60s you will be amazed at how little contest there was to take a shot. Digger Phelps, Bob Knight and others changed that in the 70s.

So Millers squads could zoom up and down the floor and they were awesome, able to get a rebound at one end and a layup at the other without taking one dribble until the last guy's layup.

Having not to expend so much energy on defense the 1970 squad usually on played 7 guys. Four of the starters could really handle the ball so if they went big Johnson could move outside and dribble. Glenn the Stick was tall but could also handle and pass.

One interesting thing he did not like dribbling and often made the team practice with no air in the ball. The team most of the time ran the break without putting the ball on the floor. Ralph was actually a defense minded coach. But the team that went undefeated in the Big Ten was so talented he changed for one year.

Unfortunately, we still have to have 5 on the floor at a time. With the way our guards have played...it would be difficult to bench them continuously after every turnover. Honestly, I think Fran has a pretty quick hook. He gets you on the bench immediately when he doesn't like something...especially Melsahn.

I agree, bad play gets more than some choice words from Fran. But in context, there aren't a lot of choices for him if a guy is playing poorly.

On saturday our guards Bryce(6),Devyn(4),Josh(2)...all had turnovers.Only Matt was spotless. I will say I wish that Fran had put Matt out front vs their zone in the first half debacle stretch. He makes the best decisions.Also wish they had made sure that Matt got the ball in the last minute in the offense. Clear out,and let him take a bomb if needed. Hated the possession where Bryce and Josh toss it back and forth til Bryce penetrated,jumped,and threw it out of bounds. Get Matt out there,hand him the ball,and let him operate.

yeah, the issue there is the weak spot in a 1-3-1 is the baseline, you need a real shooter there to keep the d honest.

I agree, bad play gets more than some choice words from Fran. But in context, there aren't a lot of choices for him if a guy is playing poorly.

Absolutely!

"Take him out". That's fine if you can put in someone who can do better. But before comparing him to Ralph Miller, Yes, I'm old enough to remember Ralph Miller, (actually, Bucky O'Connor, was coach when I was at Iowa), you've got to realize that the situation is not necessarily the same.

Gordonearl I was just going to add the "no air in the ball" drill. Ralph was a character. I used to go to all of his press conferences and he would chain smoke his filterless cigarettes. By the end of the presser his ash tray was filled to the brim. He was a very nice man, a great coach, and his 6 pack team remains by far my favorite Hawk team ever and maybe the best ever.

Latest posts