Quiet portal

IIRC, Sullivan has two years of eligibility remaining. At worst, he can complete with Cade this year. And might have to play even if he doesn't win the job. Then, he has a real shot of winning the job his final year. And that still leaves two years for Lainez.
Great point. He really does fit the gap we have had since May left. While Lainez has not seen the field much, he has been in the system for 3 years now. I like that we would have three options at QB that have some experience under their belt. I still think CM is the starter as long as he is healthy, but having two capable guys vying for the back-up position could be huge.

Great point. He really does fit the gap we have had since May left. While Lainez has not seen the field much, he has been in the system for 3 years now. I like that we would have three options at QB that have some experience under their belt. I still think CM is the starter as long as he is healthy, but having two capable guys vying for the back-up position could be huge.

Lainez is a true freshman, this is his first year on campus.

Lainez is a true freshman, this is his first year on campus.
Yes he arrived last Aug. This was his first spring ball. He was buried on depth chart all season behind Labas Hill and Cade to start with. Between the BIG title game and bowl game last yr woulda probably been his first taste of some real reps in practice. And now this spring. I'd like to think Lester kinda has an idea of what he has in Lainez. But till he's out there in more game action it's tough to really know.

Yes he arrived last Aug. This was his first spring ball. He was buried on depth chart all season behind Labas Hill and Cade to start with. Between the BIG title game and bowl game last yr woulda probably been his first taste of some real reps in practice. And now this spring. I'd like to think Lester kinda has an idea of what he has in Lainez. But till he's out there in more game action it's tough to really know.
I just hope Lester is more creative and uses the tools that he has. Even assuming CM is healthy and the starter, why not use Lainez in some packages like read option or wild cat? Give the DCs something to have to prepare for and take some pressure off of CM that he does not have to play every snap and heighten his risk of injury.

I just hope Lester is more creative and uses the tools that he has. Even assuming CM is healthy and the starter, why not use Lainez in some packages like read option or wild cat? Give the DCs something to have to prepare for and take some pressure off of CM that he does not have to play every snap and heighten his risk of injury.
Yeah he's like 225 lbs... He's a big running back why not use him as such? I like those plays that Tebow used to run where he'd fake running it into the LOS and then pop pass it to TEs. Tell me we couldn't do something at lease sorta similar with Lainez.

So here we are the following day from Sullivans 'official' visit and still no commitments been made from him on On3 anyway. He's been in portal a few weeks now. Longer then several others that have since entered and picked new homes. It's either Iowa or Sullivan that's really taking their sweet time deciding on this.

Last edited:
I think Sullivan is a tough sales pitch for Iowa. He is the starter where he is at, so if he leaves, it will have to be for a better opportunity or money I guess. Perhaps Iowa sells an open competition in the Fall? Perhaps the CM's recovery is behind schedule? I just don't see Sullivan coming in as a predetermined back-up, even with a starter with appreciable injury history. That said, he is here. Hope Lester and KF can get him signed.

A degree from Northwestern will be helpful because he'll go pro in something other than football

Latest posts