Quiet portal

Does our coaching staff not recognize the need for portal talent at quarterback, WR and offensive line?
It's pretty clear to even a casual fan the need for it.

But how do you suggest they get one? What is there to sell a talented QB on coming to Iowa after the Ferentz Incorporated Sideshow offense the last 4 years? Honest question.

And not only that...who are you going to get that's in the portal?

The portal is public information, go look on the site and give us some names you think would improve the situation and why you think they'd come here.

Sound like the Swarm ceo thinks we have a good chance with some guys we have been targeting.

But how do you suggest they get one? What is there to sell a talented QB on coming to Iowa after the Ferentz Incorporated Sideshow offense the last 4 years? Honest question.

The portal is public information, go look on the site and give us some names you think would improve the situation and why you think they'd come here.

Fry, you're touching on a big issue. The reputation that Iowa is stuck with. This may be Kirk's legacy and one that will stick with his name. The fans may not ever forget the last 3 years. The rotting corpes of an offense that he would not or could not fix. And to be honest I don't think he would have ever let Brian go.

Fry, you're touching on a big issue. The reputation that Iowa is stuck with. This may be Kirk's legacy and one that will stick with his name. The fans may not ever forget the last 3 years. The rotting corpes of an offense that he would not or could not fix. And to be honest I don't think he would have ever let Brian go.
Yep. If I take off my gold colored glasses, I can't think of a single reason why a talented QB who could make a difference would come here over almost any other school. Sunshine pumpers will say blah blah blah about new OC this, and diamond in the rough that, but we saw with McNamara that it isn't a homerun here at Iowa even if you go get a big name.

The Farence's (mostly Kirk) tanked the rest of his tenure by keeping Fredo in the driver's seat so long.

I don't think he did it intentionally, but I think he did it negligently.

Could it be that they promise someone the start to get them? Or promise them the first three starts? Maybe someone who is not yet in the portal? Cade might even agree to that.

Yep. If I take off my gold colored glasses, I can't think of a single reason why a talented QB who could make a difference would come here over almost any other school. Sunshine pumpers will say blah blah blah about new OC this, and diamond in the rough that, but we saw with McNamara that it isn't a homerun here at Iowa even if you go get a big name.

The Farence's (mostly Kirk) tanked the rest of his tenure by keeping Fredo in the driver's seat so long.

I don't think he did it intentionally, but I think he did it negligently.
To me it felt like he did do it intentionally. In the sense that he knew bringing BF back in 22 & 23 that the O wasn't going to improve one iota. He wasn't oblivious to knowing that keeping BF and the O the same was going to result in anything different then what happened. Their was zero changes being made between Petras's Sr yr and last yr.

I feel like he didn't care so long as BF was on staff and that they mostly won games despite the O he didn't give a shit how bad it got. He'd sacrifice the O for his kid without hesitating. It's pretty much what he did The O bottomed out as bad as it could get.

The ramifications for doing that were always going to stretch beyond last yr. Trying to recruit QBs skill guys and anyone to this O pretty much is going to be challenging. It's not Lesters fault but he's signed up for the challenge of rebuilding it. I just don't like that if say he does get that accomplished in the next few yrs that KF will get a ton of credit for that when he deserves little to none of.

They are honest questions.
And I don’t have the answers.

It obvious that no skilled QB or WR would come to Iowa if any other option is available, given the ridiculous shit show of the last few years. And plenty of talent was available when the portal opened. Now of course, not any real talent left to go after.
But I don’t understand the OL situation. Iowa was well regarded for OL and our line has been awful for several years, with little portal activity to upgrade the talent. So I’m not convinced Kurt & staff acknowledge the problem.

Rumor is that Sullivan is visiting Iowa city this weekend.... Not sure if Booty will or not or which QB Iowa would prefer... But with Iowa reaching out maybe he will get to too. I think I'd prefer Booty over Sullivan if only for the pedigree of where he's coming from. Being a qb at OU instead of NW carries some weight to me.

Problem Booty might have is with Sullivan visiting first if he wants to commit would Iowa tell him to wait on Booty to decide kinda thing or not.... One of the first big decisions Lester is gonna be in on I'd say.

Will the WR or 2 Iowa adds in the portal be better than the one it lost to it? Losing Raylen Sharpe to freakin Fresno was a kick in the junk

Screen Shot 2024-05-04 at 9.22.58 AM.png

Sideshow??? More like Noshow.

Rumor is that Sullivan is visiting Iowa city this weekend.... Not sure if Booty will or not or which QB Iowa would prefer... But with Iowa reaching out maybe he will get to too. I think I'd prefer Booty over Sullivan if only for the pedigree of where he's coming from. Being a qb at OU instead of NW carries some weight to me.

Problem Booty might have is with Sullivan visiting first if he wants to commit would Iowa tell him to wait on Booty to decide kinda thing or not.... One of the first big decisions Lester is gonna be in on I'd say.
I believe Booty was a walk-on at OU

Neither Booty nor Sullivan would be an upgrade, and would only cause Lainez to jump ship. Iowa isn't big enough potatoes to rely on getting capable QBs from the portal on a whim like better football schools...taking wild gambles on guys that will do nothing but make players like Lainez (who has been around the program and could at least have 4 years to help stabilize it to some degree) leave for other places.

The fact that there's a possibility Iowa is entertaining either of these guys should tell you that the ship is sinking in a huge hurry and Ferentz is trying to plug 50 holes inn the boat with 20 fingers and toes. Total desperation mode.

Good god people...Booty has one year of JUCO experience. People are seriously starting to sound like nebraska fans around here.

One of my million questions is this...

If Iowa is going to keep going to the portal every year for JUCO heroes and Uncle Ricos, how are you going to recruit someone here to develop?

I know the retort is that it's the future of the game so you have to do it, but that's for schools Like OSU, Michigan, Penn State, etc. Yeah, maybe you have to take some lumps for a year or maybe two with Lainez, but at least you could hopefully have something to work with his junior and senior years.

If Iowa is going to keep desperately looking for the latest flunky from the Texas State Armadillos every year then you can kiss any success whatsoever goodbye.

@Fryowa, dude you are a ray of sunshine this morning. who pissed in your cheerios?
I'm a Lucky Charms guy.

Alas, though...it's true. We are now a program talking to a kid named General Booty who's never played P5 football to come here and play quarterback. The other teams he's talking to are Tulsa, Samford, UTSA, and Louisiana-Monroe.

The Ferentzes have made the program a cartoon.

Latest posts