Questionable Call

I had to get my griping out of the way, but 1 day later, it is easier to admit that Iowa's offense bears total responsibility for that loss. I still hate that we missed out on that legenday play, but the call wasn't wrong (just inconsistently applied).
There is the bit in the refs pre-game meeting where Kirk clarified the motion. I really don’t know how you can say this is a letter of the law event when the head coach sought clarification before the game.

Gosh dangit, I just saw the endzone view of this, and now I am upset all over again:

Guess what happens if you run while pointing with one hand? The other has to help you balance. You can make an argument that his hand "was waving around" if you watch it in slo-mo, but seeing it in real time, that is such a BS call.

I agree that the offense is the reason for the loss. Even after the review, Iowa only had to go 25 yards to kick the game winning field goal.

However, I still think this review is BS.

1. No one watching the game even consider the possibility that anything 'illegal' occurred, that includes the officials on the field, the players, coaches, fans and broadcasters. This happened right in front of Minnesota's bench and no one reacted or pointed this out or complained. Only the mysterious review official in Pittsburgh had thought that was an infraction.
2. The official O'Dey, in his response to Dochterman's question said they let the play happen knowing the could review to validate. Bullshit. The head official is 50 yards away from that play and he is watching to see if the punter gets hit, etc. he is not in a position to determine if DeJean uses an invalid fair catch signal. Plus per Ferentz, they only told Ferentz they were reviewing if Cooper was out of bounds. So if O'Dey saw an invalid catch signal, why not tell Ferentz they are reviewing that too? Answer, most likely, is they weren't aware of that, and only decided during the review to call it.

So even if you can justify the call based upon how the rule is written, my bigger concern is that the officials are clearly lying in their justification for overturning the TD. They were not aware of a possible invalid touch until the video reviewer ruled it. So the BIG Ten office should definitely take action about clearly dishonest response by O'Dey. And with so much money (gambling, etc.) riding on these games, you have to be honest, which I don't think the officials are in this case.

I think it's crap that they were looking to see one thing but found something else.

Imagine the refs reviewing a game-winning shot in basketball and saying that it went in in time but the guy that passed it to him traveled.
It happened in a Bears-Steelers game a few years back. John Fox challenged a call that his runner stepped out of bounds and it was correctly overturned. They also determined that he fumbled the ball against the pylon which is a touchback. So Fox won the challenge but lost possession of the ball.

It happened in a Bears-Steelers game a few years back. John Fox challenged a call that his runner stepped out of bounds and it was correctly overturned. They also determined that he fumbled the ball against the pylon which is a touchback. So Fox won the challenge but lost possession of the ball.
Wow. The luck of the Bears.

Ok, the call sucked and cost Iowa the lead and likely the win.

But what really lost the game for Iowa was the offensive coaches, and I apologize to the word coaches, total lack of being qualified to coach the offense.

Who recruits and develops the QB's? The coaches. What more needs to be said?

This is the source of a lot of the confusion. It wasn't a foul. At all.

It was a change in the state of gameplay. The ball became immediately dead. It's not a *penalty* it's just a dead ball by rule. Same as if he had been standing on the out-of-bounds line when he fielded the ball. No foul, play dead.

The refs just missed the call at the time and it was caught during replay.
Thank you Mr. Unbiased Iowa State fan. I'm so glad you tore yourself away from your clownshow to jump on an Iowa message board, get a life. I stop thinking about the clowns two minutes after playing them.

I agree that the offense is the reason for the loss. Even after the review, Iowa only had to go 25 yards to kick the game winning field goal.

However, I still think this review is BS.

1. No one watching the game even consider the possibility that anything 'illegal' occurred, that includes the officials on the field, the players, coaches, fans and broadcasters. This happened right in front of Minnesota's bench and no one reacted or pointed this out or complained. Only the mysterious review official in Pittsburgh had thought that was an infraction.
2. The official O'Dey, in his response to Dochterman's question said they let the play happen knowing the could review to validate. Bullshit. The head official is 50 yards away from that play and he is watching to see if the punter gets hit, etc. he is not in a position to determine if DeJean uses an invalid fair catch signal. Plus per Ferentz, they only told Ferentz they were reviewing if Cooper was out of bounds. So if O'Dey saw an invalid catch signal, why not tell Ferentz they are reviewing that too? Answer, most likely, is they weren't aware of that, and only decided during the review to call it.

So even if you can justify the call based upon how the rule is written, my bigger concern is that the officials are clearly lying in their justification for overturning the TD. They were not aware of a possible invalid touch until the video reviewer ruled it. So the BIG Ten office should definitely take action about clearly dishonest response by O'Dey. And with so much money (gambling, etc.) riding on these games, you have to be honest, which I don't think the officials are in this case.
How do you know it didn't come directly from the Big Ten office to keep Iowa out of the title game? Or gambling I agree. I already don't trust the NFL, now I don't trust college, I might as well start watching Pro-wrestling. Hey DCI you investigated petty gambling by college students how about checking out a big time possible gambling plot from officials?

If nothing else the reversal saved the Gopher special teams' collective butts. Six of them had DeJean hemmed in on the sideline and somehow let him get away like he was Johnny Rodgers or Joe Washington or somebody.

Might have saved the special teams coach as well. Rear Admiral Fleck has been known to make assistants and coordinators walk the plank in mid season.

The call for a review should be limited to the circumstance that has been
clearly defined by the officials. So, if the review was to determine if Coop stepped out of bounds, then that is the only question that the review team should be allowed to address, period. Or, We Could. Have. This...Gee. I guess he did not step out of bounds, which was the issue We were asked to review. But, hey. Maybe I saw him signal for a fair catch! Oh, wait. HIS HAND WAS NOT ABOVE HIS HEAD. DAMN. OK. But, hey. He was moving his arms around. Right? So…

F That. Go ahead and reason that other circumstances caused the defeat. OK. Now, ask yourself this simple question: If Coop’s TD return would not have been overturned by an official F up, would we have won? Duh.

I've watched like a 100 punt returns in the last 24 hours from other games, if the correct call was made, that same call is not being made anywhere else.
That's what I've been thinking. You see this happen elsewhere at least 5 Xs over a weekend of football. This is the 1st time I've seen it called this way.

This game is always going to have an asterisk for me personally. I know it's a L in the record books, but as an Iowa fan, I will always count that game as a W, as Iowa did what it always does, find a way to win a close game.

I realize that the O is a giant failure. It is, it's the worst. If it were better that would give Iowa a better chance to win games....but, the fact remains, that Iowa STILL found a way to win the game on Saturday despite the offense and they've been doing that for a while now.

I'm so over this.
I'm usually in line (not the first to get in the line, but in line for sure) to get livid at any call that indisputably changes a game. Even knowing this, I would probably be slightly embarrassed by whatever I posted between Jan 2 and Jan 5 of 2006. And yet, I would still defend my position.

Not today folks. I feel awful for DeJean and all the guys on that squad. I feel awful for the defense that set that up.

But I'm not going to linger on this one at all. I just feel....nothing. I don't even care to get into the weeds on whether it was right/wrong. It sucks, sure.

But it just doesn't matter to me. It doesn't change the eventual outcome of this season. A week ago, seeing the rushing game work, I had some hope. With this defense and a run game? There's no telling what's possible...within REASONABLE expectations. A decent showing in Indy maybe and not being the butt of jokes.

But, that was just false hope.

Last edited:
Kirk was right in his post game comments. The on field officials made a call, let the play, play out and signaled TD!!!!!! The rubes in the booth over ruled the TD. Kirk said the officials on the filed should make the call.
What he also made mention of there was nothing to do with the review regarding the fair catch signal. From what he stated or understood, it was whether DeJean stepped out of bounds, correct? So, it is even more odd that they called it. I think the last time they said it had been called was Wisconsin/Northwestern in 2015?

Does anyone know the rule they were going by? A search indicates the hand has to be waved above the head. He was clearly motioning to indicate to players to clear away from the ball. This must be considered a type of fair catch signal. Doesn’t make sense unless there is a specific rule against it.
Yep, if you can tell in or out of bounds you sure as heck can tell above the head and it was clearly not even above the shoulders. Pointing and not waving either. One thing if that was called real time but on the replay? No conspiracy theory but but pretty damn bad call and ballsy to call it on the home team on a replay looking for out of bounds if that was the case.

This game is always going to have an asterisk for me personally. I know it's a L in the record books, but as an Iowa fan, I will always count that game as a W, as Iowa did what it always does, find a way to win a close game.

I realize that the O is a giant failure. It is, it's the worst. If it were better that would give Iowa a better chance to win games....but, the fact remains, that Iowa STILL found a way to win the game on Saturday despite the offense and they've been doing that for a while now.
A W in my personal record book, as well, Good Co.

Latest posts