Question

4thngoal

I know it's a team sport, but I got to wondering. Maybe the reason turnovers are so important at Iowa is because deep down our coaches know we never have an offense capable of overcoming them.
I know they are important. I'm not saying they are not. But they seem to have a extra importance for the Hawks. Don't fumble or you'll sit. Don't take risks as a qb.
So I wonder if one were to go back and look and take away our pick sixes and times our defense won the turnover battle how many wins come off our record? How many times has the offense straight up just dominated?
We absolutely need to get better on offense and have needed to for years.
This is nothing new, but obviously something the program, coaches, players, ad, all need to realize.

How come Stanley never sits when he fumbles ?
They have loosened up on that philosophy.
I guess my point is, you can imagine it however you want, but it comes back to the same answer every time.
You could say, we pretty much always have a top 20 defense, what if we had a top 20 offense to go with that?
You could say our record over the last 15 years would be absolutely dismal without that top 20 defense.
Actually all you have to do is look at our avg ranking of offense and of defense in the last 15 years. Compare them. But you can't blame it on recruiting and talent when there are teams with lesser recruits scoring more points against the same or similar opponents. You can't say we don't pay enough. You can't say we don't have the facilities.
The fact is that it comes down to either coaching or scheme. Or both.
I don't have a problem with the coaches. They run a clean program. Try to produce good football players and men. That is a good thing, especially in today's world.
If it's scheme, learn and change it. If it's coaches, give them what they need, be it clinics, continuing ed or whatever.
But this "we are who we are" talk? Well like I said take the last 15 years worth of offensive rankings. That's what your philosophy of what we are equals. The end.

IMO "winning the turnover battle" isn't nearly as big as capitalizing after you get the turnover. Recovering a fumble inside the Wiscy 25 and coming away with nothing more than a field goal to open up the scoring set the tone for the game. While winning the turnover battle is important those are opportunities where you have to be able to find the endzone and capitalize. It can't simply be about time of possession, minimizing mistakes, and keeping them out of our end zone. We had the chance to gain the momentum on the road with a short field and instead came up short and let their defense come away with a huge stop.

Question??? Well, how soon till Fry can get on the ice safely and show us a batch of bluegills!
Soon hopefully. Heading to Okoboji this weekend but I doubt there will be fishable ice. Spirit Lake is frozen over as of yesterday morning but the forecast is in the 40s for the next while.

I know @HuckFinn is praying for me to fall through and meet my demise, but alas, it ain’t gonna happen.

IMO "winning the turnover battle" isn't nearly as big as capitalizing after you get the turnover. Recovering a fumble inside the Wiscy 25 and coming away with nothing more than a field goal to open up the scoring set the tone for the game. While winning the turnover battle is important those are opportunities where you have to be able to find the endzone and capitalize. It can't simply be about time of possession, minimizing mistakes, and keeping them out of our end zone. We had the chance to gain the momentum on the road with a short field and instead came up short and let their defense come away with a huge stop.
I heard it from KF's mouth himself - During the pregame Saturday Dolph said (close paraphrase) "Coach this game has all the earmarks of being a low scoring game" to which KF replied enthusiastically "I'm OK with that" or words to that effect. I knew right then we were doomed.

Soon hopefully. Heading to Okoboji this weekend but I doubt there will be fishable ice. Spirit Lake is frozen over as of yesterday morning but the forecast is in the 40s for the next while.

I know @HuckFinn is praying for me to fall through and meet my demise, but alas, it ain’t gonna happen.
giphy.gif

I heard it from KF's mouth himself - During the pregame Saturday Dolph said (close paraphrase) "Coach this game has all the earmarks of being a low scoring game" to which KF replied enthusiastically "I'm OK with that" or words to that effect. I knew right then we were doomed.

Honestly I'm of the defense wins games mentality and have no problem with low scoring grind it out football. That said, regardless of philosophy you can't be gifted the ball inside the opponents 25 and not capitalize. Regardless of what the coaches mentality is going into the game, you scrap your game plan that drive and find a way to find the end zone. From a play calling standpoint the mentality changes when the defense has a team pinned down inside their own 5, so I find it absolutely mind blowing that we can't change the mentality when we've got an opportunity to throw the first punch. If you "expect" it to be low scoring you better be ready to cash in on every opportunity to find the end zone and we failed to do that. IMO that was a more defining moment in the game than the failed 2 pt. conversion. The failed conversion cost us 2 pts. late in the game, not taking advantage of a short field cost us 4 pts. and a ton of momentum.

I watch those idiots do the polar plunge during WG and it still amazes me that they don't have like 30 heart attacks every year.

I wear a Striker float suit when I fish and those are effectively impossible to sink, but heart attack from 33 degree water is what scares me if I go through.

Latest posts