Question

Sirhouseman

Because this board is ridiculous let me pose a question.
If we get rid of Lick at the end of the season are we automatically better next year? Do those promising recruits still stick with their commitments?

I'd guess no on both accounts. All that would be doing is creating an even larger gap. What coach in their right mind would want to inherit all that would be left at the beginning of next year.

I know some don't want to hear it, but Lick is our best option right now. He has to be given an opportunity to get some cohesion and some player retention to prove what they are capable of.

Couldn't agree more.

I also would believe that we would lose one for sure if not more of the recruits.

Cannot do anything until the next of next season and the practice facility being completed.

Disagree. In the situation you want you are just asking for a longer period of bottom half finishes in the conference until they finally do make a change. Teams can be turned around rather quickly. Tennessee did it with Pearl, UVA has done it this year with Bennett, Missouri has done it, K-State, etc.... We have gotten worse every year with our coach. It can get done and at a place like Iowa we should expect that it can happen. We are not a Northwestern but are heading in the direction.

Disagree. In the situation you want you are just asking for a longer period of bottom half finishes in the conference until they finally do make a change. Teams can be turned around rather quickly. Tennessee did it with Pearl, UVA has done it this year with Bennett, Missouri has done it, K-State, etc.... We have gotten worse every year with our coach. It can get done and at a place like Iowa we should expect that it can happen. We are not a Northwestern but are heading in the direction.

How smart are you? NO ONE WILL WANT TO COME HERE. Period. End of Story.

If we get rid of Lick at the end of the season are we automatically better next year? Do those promising recruits still stick with their commitments?

I'd guess no on both accounts. All that would be doing is creating an even larger gap. What coach in their right mind would want to inherit all that would be left at the beginning of next year.

I know some don't want to hear it, but Lick is our best option right now. He has to be given an opportunity to get some cohesion and some player retention to prove what they are capable of.

I understand what you are saying but let me ask you this, If we got rid of Lick at the end of the season are we automatically worse next year?

Bennett also wanted Payne (while he was still at WSU), Brust and McCabe, so he must be a bad coach if he was after those recruits and player.

This I agree with, another one is Minnesota, Tubby is also in year 3 and has taken Minnesota to the NCAA Tournament.

I'm not one to say we fire Lick now but your logic is really poor. Every year we're going to have at least one "promising recruit". By your logic, we would never be able to fire a head coach because it would "create a larger gap" and some of the recruits would de-commit each of those years. So, when should a coach be fired?

Heck, we've gone this long with no success so if GB chooses to go in another direction, I'm willing to take a longer term look at this. If they go another way, maybe in two years we get better recruits and this thing gets turned around.

The problem with this argument is that it assumes that by keeping Lick we are automatically better next year - no way of knowing.

No one can see into the future. Lick is either the right man for the job or he isnt. If the big boys decide he isnt then its time to move on, regardless of what it does to any of the recruits

I don't think this board is ridiculous at all. The majority of its posters, however...

Its hard to have a discussion on this board (and probably most boards) because the majority of the posters are extremists....at least when it comes to the Lick discussion

Its hard to have a discussion on this board (and probably most boards) because the majority of the posters are extremists....at least when it comes to the Lick discussion

I agree there is a lot of extremism...the most recent example is how the OP worded his post.

This I agree with, another one is Minnesota, Tubby is also in year 3 and has taken Minnesota to the NCAA Tournament.
And Minnesota just lost their best recruit, got blown out by 25 pts by OSU and and below .500 in Big Ten play... and they also lost Nolen for academic reasons. Things aren't exactly rosy up in the cities right now either.

I also don't know if everyone would necessarily back out of their commitments. We would probably lose somebody, but I suppose it depends on who the next coach is as to how many recruits we would lose. But this would always be a question no matter when you make a change. It's something you have to live with if you change coaches. Doesn't matter if it's after year 3 or year 5, and you all know that.

At some point you have to admit when things aren't working and it's time for a change, regardless of any immediate disruption it may cause. The sooner you turn directions, the closer you are to getting on a winning path.

IMHO we're at that point. The only thing I care about for next year is having a new coach and staff to begin building the foundation for future success.

End. The. Insanity. Now.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”. -- Albert Einstein

Next years recruits have all signed LOI's to Iowa. If they wanted out, Iowa could make them sit a year before playing. If the new hire was a half decent recruiter, he could convince these recruits to stay. Does anyone really think that McCabe,Marble and Brust are coming to Iowa mainly to play for Lick? Sorry, they all have connections to the team...Brust to Cully,McCabe to Cougill,and Marble to marble...
Larson might possibly re-consider,but any new coach worth his salt should be able to convince him that Iowa is still the great school it always was when he committed.

These are not the kind of recruits that are attached to the coaches like many AAU high rated guys...these are kids who choose a school for many reasons.

But, lick is not going anywhere this year, so all idle speculation. After next year, if we are not in a tourny, different story.

Latest posts