question marks for football

I agree with spudhawk & herbyhawk that there is some room for guarded optimism. I don’t expect a great year but barring key injuries the Hawkeye’s should at least have a winning season. Defensive line is the most obvious problem area. It will be a work in progress the entire year.

I really don’t expect the offense to plod along with an often pedestrian ball control game, like it often has in the recent past. I think Davis was brought in to open things up a bit and Vandenberg has some tools to work with. I think the key to the new offense will be how well Vandenberg moves with the ball before he gets rid of it. He was very tentative this year in the pocket, but Iowa relies too much on very clean pass blocking. At this point I don’t know if how much of Vandenbergs shortcomings moving in the pocket are him and how much of it is coaching & scheme. I think they will try to get Vandenberg to move around a bit more behind the line of scrimmage and create some plays more than Iowa is used to seeing. Vandenberg isn’t a running quarterback but he does have decent mobility.

Davis gets faulted for his horizontal game, running and passing outside the tackles, spreading things out. Iowa can use a bit of that. At this point they may be one of the least horizontal teams in college football. I think Ferentz & KOK had predictable tendencies that became a comfort zone, and increasingly limited the offense. Davis’s comfort zone and his horizontal game have little in common with Iowa’s game up to this point. It will be interesting to see what the hybrid they talk about will look like.

So, Tight Ends that have shown no consistency and have disappeared a key moments of key games are suddenly going to be "no problem?"

So, losing three NFL linemen and replacing them with guys with VERY little starting experience is "no problem?"

So, a defensive line that only returns two reserves that got run over consistently last season and one guy coming off an ACL injury and no upper-classmen as reserves is "no problem?"

So, losing half of your defensive backfield is "no problem?"

So, losing Neilson, who finally plugged the whole in the middle of the defense is "no problem?"

So, losing a guy who had more catches than the next two guys combined is "no problem?"

So, having your returning starting running back coming off a game in which he ran behind what might be 4 NFL linemen gain 58 yards on 22 carries is "no problem?"

Here's what you guys are banking on making these things "no problem."

1) A four star true freshman running back comes in and dominates. How has the worked with the last three of these guys?

2) At least three freshmen or RS freshmen linemen come in and are dominant starters. Remember, Iowa only really does well when their D-line is more than adequate.

3) TE's to suddenly start performing at an entirely different level. One of which was a walk-on.

Next year is about development for 2013. If we get guys like Spears and Cooper up to speed and get some of the true freshmen some reps, then we will see them start being able to compete next year. Don't discount all the "those guys need to be built up" talk. That means, they are going to get their butts kicked and we need a coach who will be able to keep their heads straight while that is happening. In 2014 we have a chance to have a D line that is pretty good and in 2015 another monster.

The last "monster" year any of us will ever see was 2009.

The recruiting is only part of it. Kids leave because they see the program sucks. They leave because they want to excel not just exist. There is a difference.

So Darth moron...history would suggest differently about monster years. Unlike many, I think Ferentz knows what he's doing. He develops players and puts them in the NFL. His loyalty is mostly what gets him in trouble. I think this year we surprise to the upside and the following two years will see a ton of returning talent. If Ruddock is as advertised...2013 and 2014 will be your freaking "monster years". If Davis proves to be a great hire...well it could be special.

The last "monster" year any of us will ever see was 2009.

The recruiting is only part of it. Kids leave because they see the program sucks. They leave because they want to excel not just exist. There is a difference.
Because the ones that have left have turned into such stars elsewhere.....

I am always amazed at how some Iowa fans seem to think that our opponents will not have massive holes to fill with many question marks also. This is COLLEGE FOOTBALL....teams turn over many starters every year.

Take NW- They lose 9 of 11 starters off a defense that was 11th in the league.
They lose Persa, RBs- Trumpy has an ACL,Jones transferred, WR- Ebert gone,TE-Dunsmore gone, 4 offensive linemen- gone.

So, are we supposed to feel worse than NW who we beat last year..going into next year? I don't.

BTW- saw that Jeremy Ebert,NW WR who beat us in 2010 with that last TD pass ran a 4.38 in his pro day saturday...kid can fly,and will be missed.

Nebraska loses the LB of the year in the Big Ten-David,and Crick,and Dennard,among others off their defense....are they crying? No.

Some Iowa fans are so soft,and have zero faith. Iowa will be 8-4 at worst,with a possibility of 10-2.

Next year is about development for 2013. If we get guys like Spears and Cooper up to speed and get some of the true freshmen some reps, then we will see them start being able to compete next year. Don't discount all the "those guys need to be built up" talk. That means, they are going to get their butts kicked and we need a coach who will be able to keep their heads straight while that is happening. In 2014 we have a chance to have a D line that is pretty good and in 2015 another monster.

Just think though, if you look at it just right you can have a completely new list going into 2013. Start looking at your Senior's leaving and build from there.

Latest posts