Question: How active is Iowa in the Transfer Portal?

WinOneThisCentury

I know getting Heflin and Cronk last year was huge...and really plugged a few holes in areas of need. Cronk to a much lesser extent due to injury obviously...but offensive tackle was a serious concern depthwise.

You would think this would be a major emphasis with the evolution of the eligibility rules. For a team like Iowa, finding a few good players, older players, in positions of need is huge. DT became a position of strength because Heflin was a the real deal and filled a huge void due to Schulte getting hurt and the players we lost the previous year to graduation. Hopefully Heflin comes back...and we can find another DT or DE that can have an impact in a similar way.

I'm just curious if this has been more of a focus than in previous years. Typically KF has shied away from transfers vs. letting the system cultivate players through our developmental approach. I think you have to be more active in the portal...and find the guys that can make an immediate impact.

I would say quarterback, but Petras has shown enough where it looks like they will ride it out with him.

At 65, KF has to continue to evolve, you can't live off the portal, but you have to tap into it every once in awhile.

Its obviously evolving as as way to fill positions of need and also for specific shortages for specific classes too.

For example, like when Iowa signed 3 sophomore WR transfers a year ago, probably with the hope that one of them would work out. The surprise was that the one that worked out was Charlie Jones and not Oliver Martin.

Now that the NCAA has made it so easy for players to move between schools KF would be stupid to not take advantage of it. I see the portal as a way to fill holes not to depend on it as player development is the strength of this coaching staff.

You just don't hear about our Transfer interests...at least around here. I know some people mention, this coach has reacted to a player twitter feed or something...but you certainly don't hear much. Hell, Heflin was a surprise or out of left field.

I would love to know who we are pursuing...where are all the investigative journalists?

The problem with the transfer portal and Iowa is the type of systems they run. As much as people say Iowa is vanilla there are really not a lot of programs that do things similarly so the learning curve at some positions can be steep.

That being said if you want to maximize on the transfer portal the amount of players that would be a good fit and actually be able to come in and contribute are really not that many in my opinion. I am not saying not to look but of all the players in the portal a small fraction are kids Iowa would be interested in and then competing with who else is looking at that player.
It’s my belief that if something isn’t done soon about the portal it will be the downfall of collegiate athletics. The commitment and desire is all but eliminated when you can leave at any time. Too many kids are looking for an easy way out.

Kameltoez102 wrote: "The commitment and desire is all but eliminated when you can leave at any time. Too many kids are looking for an easy way out".

Julius Brents says hi. I still can't understand how a kid who (if healthy) was almost a sure starter next year quits in the middle of the season. But that's what is happening now. I don't see it as good for college football and hopefully Iowa doesn't have too many like him.

The problem with the transfer portal and Iowa is the type of systems they run. As much as people say Iowa is vanilla there are really not a lot of programs that do things similarly so the learning curve at some positions can be steep.

That being said if you want to maximize on the transfer portal the amount of players that would be a good fit and actually be able to come in and contribute are really not that many in my opinion. I am not saying not to look but of all the players in the portal a small fraction are kids Iowa would be interested in and then competing with who else is looking at that player.
It’s my belief that if something isn’t done soon about the portal it will be the downfall of collegiate athletics. The commitment and desire is all but eliminated when you can leave at any time. Too many kids are looking for an easy way out.

With the NCAA's ability to look the other way and do absolutely nothing to punish repeat offenders and rule breakers, and the way they've dodged compensating athletes and hung on to refusing to admit the fact that there is nothing amateur about "student" athletes I've never thought that the transfer portal would be the downfall of collegiate athletics. I think like everything else programs will continue to adapt and college sports will continue gradually change over time.

Latest posts