Question for the wrestling experts here

DesMoinesHawki

I love college wrestling and covered it as a sports reporter in college ... That being said, I don't follow it as closely as I used to but always watch the Hawks when they are on tv ... My question: Why does it seem (and correct me if you think I am wrong) that Iowa has a hard time landing really good upper weight wrestlers? Seems like we always have our pick of the litter at the lower weights but not so in the upper weights. In the last eight or nine seasons it just seems like we aren't as dominant at the higher weights. Is this because Brands wrestled at a lower weight? Do we not focus as much on the upper weights (which I really do not think would be the case)? Are quality big guys harder to find? Just curious what your opinion is ... If I am off in my assessment I welcome feedback either way ... Thanks ...

And sidenote: Not saying we have not had quality upper weight wrestlers; simply saying that it seems we are more successful at the lower weights ...

As a loose rule it can be difficult for any school to get good upper weights. There are other sports that bigger guys can compete in (football for example) whereas there are fewer options for smaller guys.

Your other points are valid, however I personally do not have much insight into them.

I love college wrestling and covered it as a sports reporter in college ... That being said, I don't follow it as closely as I used to but always watch the Hawks when they are on tv ... My question: Why does it seem (and correct me if you think I am wrong) that Iowa has a hard time landing really good upper weight wrestlers? Seems like we always have our pick of the litter at the lower weights but not so in the upper weights. In the last eight or nine seasons it just seems like we aren't as dominant at the higher weights. Is this because Brands wrestled at a lower weight? Do we not focus as much on the upper weights (which I really do not think would be the case)? Are quality big guys harder to find? Just curious what your opinion is ... If I am off in my assessment I welcome feedback either way ... Thanks ...

And sidenote: Not saying we have not had quality upper weight wrestlers; simply saying that it seems we are more successful at the lower weights ...

I'm no expert, so this is just my opinion. I think some of it has to do with bad luck on the injury front. Keddy, Beatty, and Erekson were all capable of winning their weight class or at least being a very high AA. The injury bug hit them all their senior year.

Latest posts