Question for Talent Gurus - Upside of our freshman wide receivers???

uihawk82

What do the hawks have talent-wise in their true and redshirt freshmen wide receivers who are not playing.

Do we have some true freshmen who are being redshirted who could really impress in the next few years? Do we have potential there to have a couple quick , sure handed possession receivers and perhaps a fast, taller guy to run the deeper routes?

Just want to know about whether the passing game has some potential at the receiver spot.

What do the hawks have talent-wise in their true and redshirt freshmen wide receivers who are not playing.

Do we have some true freshmen who are being redshirted who could really impress in the next few years? Do we have potential there to have a couple quick , sure handed possession receivers and perhaps a fast, taller guy to run the deeper routes?

Just want to know about whether the passing game has some potential at the receiver spot.
Good question. My general observation is that freshman WRs shouldn't be relied on too heavily. Doug E Fresh wasn't bad, but impact guys are pretty rare for us. Even five star guys need a year to get the flow.

Good question. My general observation is that freshman WRs shouldn't be relied on too heavily. Doug E Fresh wasn't bad, but impact guys are pretty rare for us. Even five star guys need a year to get the flow.

It's strange that the skinny former grey shirt guy is playing as a freshman. I wonder what, if anything, this says about the scholarship guys.

It's strange that the skinny former grey shirt guy is playing as a freshman. I wonder what, if anything, this says about the scholarship guys.

Well I wonder if they have a couple true freshmen that are being redshirted to give them learning time but maybe have the skills and speed to help out in the future.

Someone with decent skills will start for this team. I think tevaun smith is making strides, and KMM will be decent next year

Harris has the best speed out of the group. Mitchell, Jr., Jones & Willies have a high upside. VandeBerg come on the scene after Wilson left the program. He seems to catch everything in sight. Would like to see what walk-ons Keane & Hadachek can do @ WR.

The Hawks lose Shumpert & Cotton after this year maybe some to transfers, but would like to see the position get better. We've got the following coming back: T. Smith, Zaun (transfer from UNI), Haluska, Martin-Manley, Hillyer, Stone (transfer from Iowa Western CC), Powell (transfer from Snow CC), Fleming & McCarron. We've got Scheel coming into the fold for 2014. Someone from this group needs to standout @ WR for the 2014 season. Martin-Manley is strictly a possession type WR. T. Smith can be that vertical threat, but needs to be more consistent. Hillyer has been inconsistent. Powell needs to get the playbook down more so he's not so predictable for the opposing team. Want to see what Zaun, Haluska, Stone, Fleming & McCarron can do, if at all possible.

My total guess is that they wanted one guy to not redshirt, to even out scholarship distribution, and chose the guy with the least upside.

Harris has the best speed out of the group. Mitchell, Jr., Jones & Willies have a high upside. VandeBerg come on the scene after Wilson left the program. He seems to catch everything in sight. Would like to see what walk-ons Keane & Hadachek can do @ WR.

The Hawks lose Shumpert & Cotton after this year maybe some to transfers, but would like to see the position get better. We've got the following coming back: T. Smith, Zaun (transfer from UNI), Haluska, Martin-Manley, Hillyer, Stone (transfer from Iowa Western CC), Powell (transfer from Snow CC), Fleming & McCarron. We've got Scheel coming into the fold for 2014. Someone from this group needs to standout @ WR for the 2014 season. Martin-Manley is strictly a possession type WR. T. Smith can be that vertical threat, but needs to be more consistent. Hillyer has been inconsistent. Powell needs to get the playbook down more so he's not so predictable for the opposing team. Want to see what Zaun, Haluska, Stone, Fleming & McCarron can do, if at all possible.

i think fleming has moved to db

My total guess is that they wanted one guy to not redshirt, to even out scholarship distribution, and chose the guy with the least upside.
yeah I'm sure they picked the guy with no upside and gave him playing time, makes sense. MVB actually has some speed and hands like Velcro. He will contribute. Needs a little muscle. Although in his limited action he caught the ball while being hit a few times this year.

Kind of like 2010, when Iowa played Don Shumpert (for special teams purposes) as a true freshman and redshirted Kevonte Martin-Manly.

I didn't say Vandeberg was terrible. Maybe he is a guy with a high floor but low ceiling, giving him some value now while limiting the value of a 5th year. He has caught a few passes and is in the mix this year. Maybe he is just the freshman WR most ready to contribute.

coaching staff is very pleased about the true freshmen WR corp. good size, good speed.

which is good because they stole some scholarships from other positions (OL) to use on WRs. Now they have to recruit a couple additional OL yet this year because of that.

It's looking like a good group. I think Willies will do well. Vandeberg will be a very good possession guy. One of the announcers compared him to John Faloon I can see that. He is playing as a true freshmen for a reason. I just wish they used him more.

As for true freshmen WR's it was said during August camp that the kid from the Quad Citites and the WR from Texas most looked the part of any WR Iowa had on the roster. Hopefully they are ready to contribute right away next year and hopefully the decommit from Rutgers will choose the Hawks.

Latest posts