Question for Hawkeyegamefilm

iahawk72

I guess I am looking for your take on what I perceive to be an inconsistent offense. Is there anything from all the film study you do that you can attribute to Iowa's lack of productive consistency by the offense which seems to be more of the norm as opposed to the exception? Here are things that I see as problems but this is only the observations of a lay fan:

• Although the system appears to be predictable, it's challenge is that it is a complicated system in the sense that it requires all 11 players on the field to execute on a regular basis. It isn't built for athleticism to hide deficiencies.
  • Because of the point above, the margin for error is extremely small. Without all the players playing on the same cylinder, it is very difficult for the system to be productive.
  • Iowa may recognize the challenges that they face with blitzes but struggle far too often in dealing effectively when the opponent 'risks' a blitiz. (i.e., they are not particularly good at making the opposition 'pay' for taking risks)
  • The offensive line of this year (and last) lacks a physical, bully mentality. They aren't as physical as Iowa OLs of recent past.

Thanks in advance.

iahawk72

very inconsistent offense, yeah, that's an understatement. The one day we are running all over someone and we throw six times in a row...keep running it and we win easily

We moved the ball fine because we were playing one of the worst D's in Big Ten history. It was our red zone deficiencies that stalled out great possessions. If you eliminate the fade route pass to McNutt (which will be doubled up now all times inside the 20 yard line), please let me know any play where we have had any sustainable success in the red zone?

We'll find out how average our O is when we play Michigan State and Nebraska later in November. It won't take long for those DC's to pick up on our tendencies and make our OL look really average. I just hope Coker does not get hurt trying to bowl over LB's like he has been able to get away with against Indiana/NW/Minny.

VrARE.gif

Wow, when I read the OP, I didn't notice it was dated 2011 until I finished. I honestly thought it was in reference to the 2014 season. Some things never change, I guess. Perhaps this is why the thread was bumped?

If I remember right, Iowa's O wasn't all that bad in 2011. The passing game rocked. Coker ran all over a lot of teams. And yet, I like others would fret about the O.

If I remember right, Iowa's O wasn't all that bad in 2011. The passing game rocked. Coker ran all over a lot of teams. And yet, I like others would fret about the O.

NC, I think 2011's passing offense was good, but I'm not sure I'd say it rocked. But, it was good. Coker had good yardage (I think he push 1300 yards??) but the teams total rushing yards were at the bottom of the B1G, if I recall.

The point of my post was to show how 2011 was described like 2014 and, as fans, we've had the same consistent complaint of kfootball's offenses. We owe a collective apology to KOK, I think.

NC, I think 2011's passing offense was good, but I'm not sure I'd say it rocked. But, it was good. Coker had good yardage (I think he push 1300 yards??) but the teams total rushing yards were at the bottom of the B1G, if I recall.

The point of my post was to show how 2011 was described like 2014 and, as fans, we've had the same consistent complaint of kfootball's offenses. We owe a collective apology to KOK, I think.

I could probably go back and find a dozen posts where I said KOK was not the problem. The problem was, is and always will be KF until he is gone.

Latest posts