Quarterbacks - Spring Edition

I like Marc Morehouse's insight better than the more senior gentleman that gets a vote in the sports writer's top 25.

I've met them both. Let's just say I like more about Morehouse's than the senior writer.

I guess I briefly met Marc. I'm not sure my experience with the other could be called meeting. It was more like being looked down on, and there is some serious arrogance involved in that ego.

Marc is less afraid to ask KF some tougher questions also. Not extremely tough, I think he learned his lesson after the debacle a couple of seasons ago.

Having said all of this, Marc is also an Iowa fan. It is obvious, and I think this doesn't help out on being objective,he still has some of the best insight into Iowa football of any newspaper reporters I'm aware of.

OK, now about the QBs. I think we usually produce a QB who is above average. There have been some drop offs in talent recently, from sophomore to junior and senior years in one case, but we usually do not struggle much at QB.

My only concern is lack of snaps for the back ups when there are opportunities.

I like Marc Morehouse's insight better than the more senior gentleman that gets a vote in the sports writer's top 25.

I've met them both. Let's just say I like more about Morehouse's than the senior writer.

I guess I briefly met Marc. I'm not sure my experience with the other could be called meeting. It was more like being looked down on, and there is some serious arrogance involved in that ego.

Marc is less afraid to ask KF some tougher questions also. Not extremely tough, I think he learned his lesson after the debacle a couple of seasons ago.

Having said all of this, Marc is also an Iowa fan. It is obvious, and I think this doesn't help out on being objective,he still has some of the best insight into Iowa football of any newspaper reporters I'm aware of.

Hlas is no Gus Schrader. I used to love Gus' "Red Peppers" column every evening in the Gazette. Shows you how old I am, I remember evening newspapers. You used to get the Register in the morning & the Gazette in the evening. Of course that is back when the "Big Peach" was excellent.

Hlas is no Gus Schrader. I used to love Gus' "Red Peppers" column every evening in the Gazette. Shows you how old I am, I remember evening newspapers. You used to get the Register in the morning & the Gazette in the evening. Of course that is back when the "Big Peach" was excellent.

I barely remember Gus. I barely remember the old big peach. Now like many other 40 somethings, who have achieved a small degree of success, I don't subscribe to read items of local interest I knew 2 weeks before it hits the 6 page newspaper.

Marc is still a good sportswriter though. They are few and far between now.

Here is a dumb question from a younger guy: how did the "Big Peach" get titled as such?

Here is a dumb question from a younger guy: how did the "Big Peach" ?

I assume it was because it was peach colored. I use to get copies in Viet Nam and my buddies would make fun of the color.

Ahhhh....the good ol days of the Big Peach. I remember looking forward to seeing that in the Sunday paper. My how times have changed for the DSM Register.

Here is a dumb question from a younger guy: how did the "Big Peach" get titled as such?

The Big Peach was the Sunday sports section. Years before it died they used to also publish the daily sports section on peach colored paper. I believe it was implemented during Sec Taylor's tenure at the Register back when he was the only sports writer they had. It was marketing genius back in the day. I don't think so much the use of color, but specifically that the use of peach was unique.

I barely remember Gus. I barely remember the old big peach. Now like many other 40 somethings, who have achieved a small degree of success, I don't subscribe to read items of local interest I knew 2 weeks before it hits the 6 page newspaper.

Marc is still a good sportswriter though. They are few and far between now.

Ahh strolling down memory lane. Used to read Al Grady and Gus Schrader on regular basis as kid growing up on Iowa sports. Then got the Sunday Peach with all game photos, as most games not on TV in those days.

Add those writers with announcers like Bob Brooks, Tait Cummins, Ron Gonder and Zabel and it was a good time to be a Hawkeye fan.

Internet has changed things but I still read newspapers as deafness rules out the radio commentary. Morehouse did a nice Q and A with Hawkeye Report Lounge members last Fall. Was fun to get his insight on football and beer:)

The smartest thing the Register could have done was resurrect the Big Peach online. I even pitched the idea to them years ago. Gannett was the worst thing that ever happened to the Register.

The Register sold out years ago. It was once a great paper, with a unique identity: it was truly a "State" newspaper. The big Peach was part of that identity.

Gannet took over and made it into the Central Iowa Rag.

Gus Schrader and his Red Peppers column was good. I also remember he would do a recruiting article or two during the year titled (predictably) "On the recruiting trail" with a picture of a blood hound with his nose to the ground.

I was never a big fan of The Big Peach because it could make it difficult to read and the pictures looked horrible. However, it was awesome knowing right where it was in the paper.

I'm not sure we learned anything from MM's column or at least I didn't. Still, it does illustrate how up and down JVB's season was last year. His Pitt game wasn't that good until that magical last 1+ quarters. On hind site you wonder if they should have done more shotgun/no huddle throughout the year. Other than coming out the next game with it I don't believe we saw it again in Big season.

Vandenberg needs to play better on the road. Last year, aside from Purdue, he really struggled outside of Kinnick.

If Keenan Davis and K-Mart can stay healthy, along with CJFed, Vandy will have a big year. Bullock also needs to fill the slot ,and Hillyar needs to step up. Ray Hamilton needs to remind Iowa fans that he is the all-american from Strongville,not Aaron White. Canzeri also needs to catch balls out the backfield.

I am excited that the Hawks have a veteran QB who led the league in passing yardage...or was just behind Wilson.

The Big Peach was the Sunday sports section. Years before it died they used to also publish the daily sports section on peach colored paper. I believe it was implemented during Sec Taylor's tenure at the Register back when he was the only sports writer they had. It was marketing genius back in the day. I don't think so much the use of color, but specifically that the use of peach was unique.
I knew what it was, just not how it started.

If Keenan Davis and K-Mart can stay healthy, along with CJFed, Vandy will have a big year. Bullock also needs to fill the slot ,and Hillyar needs to step up. Ray Hamilton needs to remind Iowa fans that he is the all-american from Strongville,not Aaron White. Canzeri also needs to catch balls out the backfield.

I am excited that the Hawks have a veteran QB who led the league in passing yardage...or was just behind Wilson.

Do we really think Davis will be that good? I don't mean to be hard on the kid, but so far I'm not sure about how good he will be. He is a senior this year, correct? Mcnutt ( I know that's a tough comparison) was much better as a junior than Davis. I'm not sure if he has the speed to get separation on the longer passes either. Hope I'm wrong. Agree that we REALLY need the TE spot to step up to the level we had been used to prior to last year. I have NO idea how the new OC utilizes the TE.