Qb battle

What are some examples of the Hawkeye back up looking terrible?
What am I missing?

Well, Drew Tate looked pretty terrible in the second quarter at Purdue in 2003, running up and down the sideline looking for his helmet after Chandler had to come out! In his defense, though, I remember my brother laughing and saying that there was no reason Drew would believe that he would play a meaningful snap. And I shine a light on this with a sense of humor considering how he played the next year!

I'm open on this discussion. I hope Stanley wins the job as it appears he has the God-given tools and the moxy to be a leader. That being said, I'll take whoever moved the chains and scores points..wins. I'm throwing my hat in the ring for Stanley. I'll take whoever can win.

Is that a rule? Red shirted players can't take meaningful snaps in practice?
Of course not. But it's impractical and never done. Once the season gets going the amount of practice reps for everyone is really limited. Especially for the backups. Teams aren't going to take valuable reps away from the 2nd stringer for the 3rd stringer that's redshirting...If they were to it sure wouldn't be very many. I can't say I've ever heard of that being done. The only way Stanley would get redshirted now would be injury obviously or if Boyle passed him for #2 while Wiegers is #1... If Stanley is 1 or 2 he's obviously not going to be redshirted same as last yr.

Of course not. But it's impractical and never done. Once the season gets going the amount of practice reps for everyone is really limited. Especially for the backups. Teams aren't going to take valuable reps away from the 2nd stringer for the 3rd stringer that's redshirting...If they were to it sure wouldn't be very many. I can't say I've ever heard of that being done. The only way Stanley would get redshirted now would be injury obviously or if Boyle passed him for #2 while Wiegers is #1... If Stanley is 1 or 2 he's obviously not going to be redshirted same as last yr.

I understand what you are meaning but what I am saying is keep Stanley's red shirt on if he is going to be 2nd string any way. Give him the same amount of reps as you would whether he was red shirted or not (because essentially there will be no difference, Stanley won't see the field). If there is an injury, pull the red shirt, once again essentially the same thing as if no red shirt at all. For that 1-2 games a year when our backup quarterback gets in for mop up duty, play Boyle. Boyle can most likely handle turning around and handing the ball off to whoever is our 3rd/4th string runningback on the field.

Don't waste another year of Stanley's eligibility for 10 Meaningless snaps.

I understand what you are meaning but what I am saying is keep Stanley's red shirt on if he is going to be 2nd string any way. Give him the same amount of reps as you would whether he was red shirted or not (because essentially there will be no difference, Stanley won't see the field). If there is an injury, pull the red shirt, once again essentially the same thing as if no red shirt at all. For that 1-2 games a year when our backup quarterback gets in for mop up duty, play Boyle. Boyle can most likely handle turning around and handing the ball off to whoever is our 3rd/4th string runningback on the field.

Don't waste another year of Stanley's eligibility for 10 Meaningless snaps.
I totally get what your saying they do the same things with RBs. It'd be way more practical. I think Leshun Daniels is a guy they should have/could have redshirted but yet gave him a handful of touches in garbage time his true freshman year when it wasn't necessary. The only problem with that is they seem to value those garbage time reps so much they'd rather have the #2 guy get them. I agree if your 2 or 3 yrs into a program and your not capable of taking snaps and handing it off then why are you on scholarship? I'm not sticking up for the way KF has handled things like this I'm just saying I'd be pretty surprised if that changes..

I suppose there's some benefits to open competition and keeping everybody motivated and working hard. And perhaps Wiegers really deserves a shot.

But I also think there's benefit to putting confidence in a guy and giving him the majority of the reps and it's a little disappointing that Stanley after being put in the #2 slot as a true freshman and performed pretty well in his opportunites wasn't in that position.

I guess I'll still be shocked if Stanley isn't the starter and if that ends up being the case I guess I would have preferred putting confidence in him from the start.

I suppose there's some benefits to open competition and keeping everybody motivated and working hard. And perhaps Wiegers really deserves a shot.

But I also think there's benefit to putting confidence in a guy and giving him the majority of the reps and it's a little disappointing that Stanley after being put in the #2 slot as a true freshman and performed pretty well in his opportunites wasn't in that position.

I guess I'll still be shocked if Stanley isn't the starter and if that ends up being the case I guess I would have preferred putting confidence in him from the start.
I find it disappointing that Stanley wasn't able to take the reigns more after having been #2 all last yr. It makes you think they must have been pretty darn close last yr too making it seem even weirder that they'd yank his RS for just a handful of reps.. I think they like his potential more and wanted to get him a head start. I'm sure the coaches wished more then us fans that they knew who their starter was. Having the brand new starter get all the practice reps he can get has to be preferred amongst coaches rather then splitting them down the middle like they did all spring. Especially when you factor in whatever tweaking BF is doing to the playbook.

Put me in the camp that say this is Stanley's job to lose. I'm just not buying that he was the No. 2 last year getting all the two reps and now it's an even heat. It wreaks of motivational techniques to me...which is fine. Another poster said it best that you likely need two guys due to injuries etc...so why not get them both ready through the spring. I'll be shocked if two weeks into camp...Stanley isn't getting the all the No. 1 reps.

You had to love The way Fry did things. Route an apponent through three quarters then let your backup QB come in for the entire fourth quarter to get him some good experience. KF not so much. Go into the fourth quarter with the game in doubt so you have to leave your starter in.

If the offensive philosophy doesn't do a major shift I am afraid that coach Lickliter's offense will lull us all to sleep.

"But Dad it's Iowa!" "Can I play on the offensive line and in a few years be the offensive coordinator?"

"Sure son, just win half of your games and you will have a life long contract."

"Dad is that why President Trump said what he said about Iowa residents?"

"Shhhhh quiet son we mustn't wake up the sleeping Barta?"

"Dad no problems there as I hear Barta makes over a million a year himself."

I will give the offense a fair chance this year but if it's the same ole crap offense I am going to take up basket weaving or something more entertaining.

Latest posts