Purdue AD nails it

PJHawk

I have said for years the BT needs to play more conference games, it sounds like nine is gonna happen, but why not play ten?

Then again, there are pluses, at least for some of the folks involved.

"It sure would help with scheduling," Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez said. "Scheduling has become very difficult with 12 games, and fans aren’t crazy about I-AAs, and athletic directors aren’t crazy about the fees that we're paying some schools to come in. So nine games would certainly satisfy those two people, but there are other factors involved."

Among those factors are the well-compensated men whose employment hinges on wins and losses.

"Just to be a contrarian, maybe we ought to go to 10 [league games]," Purdue athletic director Morgan Burke said. "They never said you couldn’t do 10. I think the coaches would probably throw me out of the press box."

I like playing 7 or 8 conference games. Remember that W-L records are a zero sum game. If B10 teams play non-cons then our records as a whole will be better. Better records=more bowls=more money.

I have said for years the BT needs to play more conference games, it sounds like nine is gonna happen, but why not play ten?

Then again, there are pluses, at least for some of the folks involved.

"It sure would help with scheduling," Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez said. "Scheduling has become very difficult with 12 games, and fans aren’t crazy about I-AAs, and athletic directors aren’t crazy about the fees that we're paying some schools to come in. So nine games would certainly satisfy those two people, but there are other factors involved."

Among those factors are the well-compensated men whose employment hinges on wins and losses.

"Just to be a contrarian, maybe we ought to go to 10 [league games]," Purdue athletic director Morgan Burke said. "They never said you couldn’t do 10. I think the coaches would probably throw me out of the press box."

Good Post. I am tired of watching teams play cupcakes. They should either play 10 conference games, or go to the 16 team mega conferences.

We should only play more "tougher" in-conf games if everybody else in the BCS does the same.

If not, we're at a yearly disadvantage against the ones who'd continue to schedule cupcakes.

I hope we go to nine. If you are a decent team,you should be able to win 3 non-conf games,then go 4-5 in conference to qualify for a bowl. I am ok with a teams needing to go better than 3-5 in conference to make a bowl. Does the Big Ten really need 8 teams to go bowling? 7 would not be a disaster.

I really prefer only one ''thowaway'' games like eastern Illinois..maybe two tops. With 4 nonconference games, teams like NW play 4 weaklings, then end up in a bowl that they do not deserve,and lose again.

Good Post. I am tired of watching teams play cupcakes. They should either play 10 conference games, or go to the 16 team mega conferences.

Teams like UNI rely on the revenue they get from playing D-1 opponets. I think a 12 game schedule has room for one D-1AA team. It's always going to be a home game, so it's usually going to be a win-win......although last year was nearly a disaster.

If they were at 9 conference games this year, who gets knocked off the schdule. Doubt they get rid of Eastern Illinios and Ball st, would either be ISU or Arizona. SO they would still have the cupcakes, would just make the out OOC schedule easier.

3 non conference games is plenty. That's how it was done with an 11 game schedule. Teams can still fit a cupcake or two in there and play one major non conference game. If teams can't qualify for a bowl based on two or 3 non conference wins and a minimum of 4 conference wins then they have no business going bowling anyway.

8 is just right

We need 8 teams to be 7-5

We all also want 7 or 8 home games

8 is perfect. You could go to 9 games but there is the chance of an addtional loss and the loss of a home game every other year...

Not to mention the loss of national exposure. One less game per team, means one less game played against a team from somewhere else in the country. Which equals less exposure. For example, if we played 9 Big Ten games this year, we would Not be playing in Arizona this season. That's a lot of national exposure right there! And trust me, it is going to look great to kick the crap out of the Wildcats on national tv! ;)

We should only play more "tougher" in-conf games if everybody else in the BCS does the same.

If not, we're at a yearly disadvantage against the ones who'd continue to schedule cupcakes.

This is exactly right. The Pac 10 plays nine...and that is probably not a good thing for them, on top of already being marginalized nationally because they are in the Pacific time zone

Two weeks ago I watched the BTN replay of the 1990 Illinois/Colorado game. Colorado lost that game but won the NC that season, here was their non-conference schedule: 9-2-2 Tenn, 5-6 Stanford (Denny Green was the coach), 8-4 Illini, 10-2 Texas. It will never happen because of the loss of home game revenue, but that is the kind of schedule (no cupcakes or FCS schools) that used to be common and that I would like to see all of CFB get back to playing.

Two weeks ago I watched the BTN replay of the 1990 Illinois/Colorado game. Colorado lost that game but won the NC that season, here was their non-conference schedule: 9-2-2 Tenn, 5-6 Stanford (Denny Green was the coach), 8-4 Illini, 10-2 Texas. It will never happen because of the loss of home game revenue, but that is the kind of schedule (no cupcakes or FCS schools) that used to be common and that I would like to see all of CFB get back to playing.

Me too. Again, as long as everybody is mandated to play the same number of in-conf games, or, non-1AA games.

Under the current system of rankings, bowl invites, etc, remember who we're dealing with (and especially Iowa)...short-sighted, uninformed sports writers and coaches who only look at the bottom line...acuity of schedule means nothing....tick marks in the win/loss columns mean everything.

If you care about the conference ranking, you don't want to play more conference games. Beating up on each other instead of other conferences is not good. The Pac 10 complains about that all the time.

Latest posts