Pump the Brakes

BonanzaHawk

http://daily-iowan.com/2016/03/18/hawkeyes-stagger-to-second-round/

Let’s just get this out of the way.
Iowa won its matchup with Temple in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in Brooklyn on Friday, and are now headed to the second round for the second straight season. Great work. Stupendous.
Okay.
It should be made clear, however, that if the Iowa team that just ‘beat’ Temple shows up on Sunday against No. 2 seed Villanova, the Hawkeyes should know that there are extremely strict laws against human sacrifices in the state of New York.

Iowa came away today with a win, and an exciting one at that. But isn't there a little bit of concern about the fact that...they won despite struggling just as bad as they have for the last month and a half? Not to be a Debbie downer, but I had a hard time coming away from this game as excited as I would have liked. Temple appeared to be a good team to get back to normal, and they didn't. It's not going to get any easier.

Good Iowa has to show up for pretty much the entire game if Iowa is going to beat Nova. Or unless Nova can't hit the ocean from the boat.

Probably going to be a rough ending to the season on Sunday.

We've won two tournament games in about 15 years. We won on a buzzer beater, a way we have suffered bad losses many times but rarely have one ( seriously, did anyone watch the last time it happened, I'm not sure the game was televised)

I'm not pumping the brakes or whatever, that's silly. And while i would pick Villanova to win we are capable. Nobody has blown us out yet so it will likely be a game and this team has finally shown they can steal a close one.

http://daily-iowan.com/2016/03/18/hawkeyes-stagger-to-second-round/

Iowa came away today with a win, and an exciting one at that. But isn't there a little bit of concern about the fact that...they won despite struggling just as bad as they have for the last month and a half? Not to be a Debbie downer, but I had a hard time coming away from this game as excited as I would have liked. Temple appeared to be a good team to get back to normal, and they didn't. It's not going to get any easier.

Giving the ball to Gesell, again, to end the game had me irked. Why do we continually let him lose the game? Sorry to be ripping on the guy, but when you are 0-7 in game ending plays, that is telling. Don't you think there should be another strategy? . The timeout did help ease my overall frustration.

Last edited:
They give Mike the ball because he has the best handles on the team and you don't want a turnover in the last minute.

When he pulled up for that shot I thought "this is going to be the time he finally pulls one out"....airball.

Giving the ball to Gesell, again, to end the game had me irked. Why do we continually let him lose the game? Sorry to be ripping on the guy, but when you are 0-7 in game ending plays, that is telling. Don't you think there should be another strategy? . The timeout did help ease my overall frustration.

He threw a perfect alley-oop, what are you talking about? Woody should have dunked it.

Pump the brakes????? Our next loss and that is it. Likely lose on Sunday and we cannot celebrate now? Complaining about style points when we have won consecutive opening round games in the tourney for the first time in probably 20 years. I really do not get people in our fan base.

Last year, I thought we had a slugger's chance against Gonzaga. I don't even have that feeling this year. No expectations from me for tomorrow's game which is almost kinda nice actually.

Last year, I thought we had a slugger's chance against Gonzaga. I don't even have that feeling this year. No expectations from me for tomorrow's game which is almost kinda nice actually.

I initially hated this potential matchup. They are very good. Efficient on both ends but the more i think about it there's a lot i like. They force turnovers as a big part of their defense, we don't turn it over. We suck at allowing threes, at least lately, but they aren't a great shooting team. We allow a lot of offensive rebounds but they don't get enough. If we control those categories and shoot decently again i think we win.

I feel a lot better about this one than the Gonzaga game. That match up was awful.

Not to mention he was 0-7 in the game at that point. Extremely frustrating. Insanity-giving Gesell the ball over and over again at the end of games and expecting different results.

Latest posts