PTL Twitter Report

TheNebraskaHawk

This is a compilation of several twitter posts from various people...

Basabe - 38 pts and 13 rebounds team won in OT against Gatens team came back from 23 down...105 - 97 final score

Gatens - 25 pts and 8 rebounds and 5 assists
Brommer - 8 pts

Marble - team lost 108 - 101 nice comeback as they were down 21 late in the game, but still fell short- 24 pts and 7 rebounds and 8 assists

Cougill - 18 pts and 7 rebounds

Archie - 14 points and 8 boards

Payne - 10 pts and 6 assists his team won 74 - 71 against McCabe/May

Uthoff - 7 pts and 6 rebounds

Stoermer - 13 pts

May - 10 pts and 12 rebounds

McCabe 15 pts and 4 rebounds

I will be interested to hear first hand reports once they start coming in...

I was REALLY excited about Basabe BEFORE the PTL started...now I'm REALLY REALLY pumped to see him in action...I know he's just a freshman but I thought he was going to be fun to watch...

I am excited to watch this kid play also, but with this being the PTL and all i have to ask is there any REAL talent playin inside besides him?

I was glad Basabe bounced back. He seemed pretty frustrated in the first half. 38 pts is a pretty nice total considering he was in single digits at halftime (correct me if I'm wrong on that). Also liked that he was having fun by the end and actually cared about winning the game.

Marble also played well I thought.

Brommer 8 points, in PTL?! I was really concerned about his anemic stats during his senior year of high school. Just doesn't seem to really care.

I was glad Basabe bounced back. He seemed pretty frustrated in the first half. 38 pts is a pretty nice total considering he was in single digits at halftime (correct me if I'm wrong on that). Also liked that he was having fun by the end and actually cared about winning the game.

Marble also played well I thought.

You've got to be right about Basabe I only saw his first half and was shocked when I heard the stats. Next week I'm watching the full game!!

I was REALLY excited about Basabe BEFORE the PTL started...now I'm REALLY REALLY pumped to see him in action...I know he's just a freshman but I thought he was going to be fun to watch...

The PTL provides ZERO insight into how good a player will be. Go look at the numbers guys like Troy Skinner put up. We should be excited about MB....but this really means zip.

I know that PTL stat are not a great indicator of future greatness, but Basabe is the kind of aggressive athlete we haven't had in a while. You could tell he was fired up about the win, he came running off the bench high fiving his teamates. He is a bit raw but he will be a great addition to this team. I was also impressed with McCabe. His game is alot like Gatens'. Those two will help out a lot this year and Murphy can give us some solid back up minutes. I didn't see Marble as I watched the other game, but I will catch him next week.

I also was impressed by Utoff. It seemed like he had a lot more than 6 boards. He didn't look lost on the court as most players with a year left in high school usually do.

The PTL provides ZERO insight into how good a player will be. Go look at the numbers guys like Troy Skinner put up. We should be excited about MB....but this really means zip.

Really? Name an Iowa player (in the last 15 years) who led the team in scoring, rebounding, etc who didn't first do it in the PTL?

The PTL stats do not transfer to the "real" games but they certainly can be a predictor of success or lack thereof.

Really? Name an Iowa player (in the last 15 years) who led the team in scoring, rebounding, etc who didn't first do it in the PTL?

The PTL stats do not transfer to the "real" games but they certainly can be a predictor of success or lack thereof.

This times a 100.

Again, you could have looked at each player last year in the PTL and described their game pretty well to match how they played in the regular season.

Gatens is solid but has trouble getting to the rim. You can see that in the PTL.

May great athlete but lacks offensive skill. Based on first two PTLs you can see if his jumpshot is on he can light it up (OSU last year) but is probably still going to be a role player offensively most nights.

Brommer, no offensive game.

Cougill you can tell lacks athletic ability but good offensive skills. Saw that last night.

Payne lacks size and elite quickness to get to the rim, good passer but turnover prone. If jumpshot not on than is probably going to struggle.

Basabe and Marble both are looking great in PTL. I believe Basabe will start and Marble will contribute significant minutes off the bench. No Basabe won't score 30 points a game like he is doing in the PTL but I bet he makes a very significant scoring contribution. He just as a lot of skills plus talent and confidence. I bet he will make a similar impact to recent Siena graduate Ubliss.

In just two PTL games I am very pretty confident who is going to contribute next year and who isn't. The only questions are will Cartwright be able to beat out Payne and will Cole be healthy enough to start the year. I believe the rotation will be Payne, May, Gatens, Basabe, Cougill, Cole, Cartwright and Marble. McCabe will probably get some spot minutes. Not sure how his game will translate to Fran's system. Brommer or Archie will compete for the 4th big man spot assuming Cole is healthy. Both will make very limited contributions offensively and play mostly if an opposing big man is eating up Cougill/Cole inside or if we have foul trouble.

This is an interesting debate. It would be great if some enterprising person with a bunch of time on his or her hands could go back and look at PTL and season stats for players to see if there in any correlation.

My gut feeling would be that there would be some correlation.

This is a flawed argument. Why do coaches watch AAU tournaments? Why do they go to Nike Camps? I've been going to them for years and they resemble PTL leagues for the most part, just at a larger scale. It's kind of a shame that the PTL has gotten a rep for being a glorified pick-up game. I think it's a pretty effective tool to measure what individual skills players have improved on and what skills they still are lacking.

Stats do not carry over from PTL to Big Ten play. Everyone understands that. But if you know what you are looking for, the PTL is a pretty strong indicator on what kind of season a player can have.

Very limited insight, yes. Not ZERO insight. While positives often don't transfer, the negatives usually do. If a weakness/attitude issue/etc. is visible in PT it is almost sure to be an even bigger issue come the season. So while it might not be an effective tool for determining who's ready for Big Ten play, it can certainly give some strong clues as to who's not.

PTL play can highlight physical talent. Tyler Smith was immediately singled out for his athletic talent...and yes, it translated into Big Ten all-frosh team. Same with Gatens...and May.

I agree that if a player does poorly overall in PTL, it probably indicates that he is not going to flourish in the Big Ten...at least the next year.

Basabe and Marble's performance indicate that they will see the floor,probably a lot, during the Big ten season.
That is encouraging.
Now,as was said, the question marks are Cartwright and Cole.

Troy Skinner was brought up as a reason why PTL doesn't correlate. A couple of things about that. First is the league had more teams back then with more watered down competition. I am also not sure if UNI was sending players down back then and even if they were UNI was nowhere near the program that they are now. If it wasn't for the quality players coming from UNI then I would agree that it would be much harder right now to get a read on the Iowa players abilities. As it stands almost all the teams have two Iowa players and two UNI players plus some quality ex-Iowa players and or European pro-players.

Second, I didn't watch the PTL back then but I bet Troy Skinner wasn't taking the ball to the rim on a taller more athletic defensive player and finishing. I bet he was bombing away from three to score his points. This is not what Marble and Basabe are doing.

I saw Troy play in the PTL and he wasn't very good. I don't recall him lighting it up. Of course, I only saw him play twice. He could shoot so probably had some big nights from deep as said above.

Latest posts