PTL Highlights and Evaluation: Ryan Kriener

I saw him a couple times in AAU probably a year /two years ago and I don't recall him shooting any 3s but he's clearly shooting them in the PTL and he had some good film in high school showing him to be a 3 point threat.

If he's added that as a legit threat in his game, he'll be tough. He runs the floor very well and has good footwork in the post.

Kreiner looks to have himself some game. He handles the ball well. He is long. He has a decent outside shot. And he can throw it down. Refine the edges and he can be a good B1G player for us down the road. It just might take a couple years to get there.

I think Ryan will be a great Hawkeye when it is all said and done. As will the other two bigs in this class. But I think he is 3rd in minutes of those 3. That is why a have him redshirting. It will only help build his game for the future. And give him more minutes of playing time in his career.... It would be a good move IMHO. As I do not see him leap frogging any of our 4 other front court players this year.

That is why a have him redshirting. It will only help build his game for the future. And give him more minutes of playing time in his career.... It would be a good move IMHO. As I do not see him leap frogging any of our 4 other front court players this year.

While I agree he may redshirt, the problem is we don't graduate any front court players this year. If Iowa lands Garza it would only muddy the waters for a guy like Kreiner even more. Tough to tell a kid his best shot at playing will be his 3rd year on campus. I do think he possesses the size to guard true bigs that maybe a Cook or Pemsl do not.

While I agree he may redshirt, the problem is we don't graduate any front court players this year. If Iowa lands Garza it would only muddy the waters for a guy like Kreiner even more. Tough to tell a kid his best shot at playing will be his 3rd year on campus. I do think he possesses the size to guard true bigs that maybe a Cook or Pemsl do not.

That is why I think he needs to redshirt. His sophomore year he will get more minutes. Much better than that being his Junior year....and everyone we have now will be gone by his senior year. We will need Kreiner then for sure.

That is why I think he needs to redshirt. His sophomore year he will get more minutes. Much better than that being his Junior year....and everyone we have now will be gone by his senior year. We will need Kreiner then for sure.

As @NikeHawk21 mentioned, the part bolded doesn't make sense. Even if he redshirts, he still has the minutes issue since the same front court players will be there in his sophomore year--even more they will be more battle tested and hopefully playing at an even higher level due to game play. On top of that, add on top of that a Top 150 in Garza and Nunge and the front court is packed for the first time in a while.

As @NikeHawk21 mentioned, the part bolded doesn't make sense. Even if he redshirts, he still has the minutes issue since the same front court players will be there in his sophomore year--even more they will be more battle tested and hopefully playing at an even higher level due to game play. On top of that, add on top of that a Top 150 in Garza and Nunge and the front court is packed for the first time in a while.

If he redshirts, his sophomore year Uhl & Wagner will be gone. If he doesn't redshirt, then that would be his junior year(with essentially his freshman year wasted). At that moment, that leaves Cook & Pemsl as the only front court players... If we pick up any others, he will have the experience over them. Ryan will gain plenty of experience as a redshirt from the coaches, learning from the sideline, training and going up against Wags, Uhl, Cook & Pemsl... From what we are looking to bring in, Kreiner will have his opportunity to win some minutes.

In a couple years we will be thin up front. Unless we can pickup some more talent. Which I trust Fran to do, but we do not have coming in at the moment... We are looking to take one big player next year. Then possibly another the year after. That does not create a logjam. Unless someone is so dominate that they eat up all the minutes(which I hope happens).

If he redshirts, his sophomore year Uhl & Wagner will be gone. If he doesn't redshirt, then that would be his junior year(with essentially his freshman year wasted). At that moment, that leaves Cook & Pemsl as the only front court players... If we pick up any others, he will have the experience over them. Ryan will gain plenty of experience as a redshirt from the coaches, learning from the sideline, training and going up against Wags, Uhl, Cook & Pemsl... From what we are looking to bring in, Kreiner will have his opportunity to win some minutes.

In a couple years we will be thin up front. Unless we can pickup some more talent. Which I trust Fran to do, but we do not have coming in at the moment... We are looking to take one big player next year. Then possibly another the year after. That does not create a logjam. Unless someone is so dominate that they eat up all the minutes(which I hope happens).

Uhl and Jones will be gone. Wagner will not. I understand what you're saying. My point is in today's day and age it's tough to tell a kid he won't see the floor until his third year on campus. Plus he may get recruited over and still be behind Cook and Pemsl. If he wants to wait until his third year to play, more power to him, at this point in our program is going to need some guys like that.

Uhl and Jones will be gone. Wagner will not. I understand what you're saying. My point is in today's day and age it's tough to tell a kid he won't see the floor until his third year on campus. Plus he may get recruited over and still be behind Cook and Pemsl. If he wants to wait until his third year to play, more power to him, at this point in our program is going to need some guys like that.

I forgot about Jones. He hangs around the perimeter so, I think of him as a wing... It has always been tough to tell a kid sitting is in his (and the teams) best interest. But Fran will have that conversation with him. Unless someone gets injured or Kreiner explodes this fall.

Someone needs to redshirt this year. Probably two players. With such huge success with two recent & current players (Uthoff & Baer), that should help players see the light. Baer having 3 more years, instead of just 2, that is sweet.