PSU Rumor from Hawkeyereport Free site

For what its worth...

A former associate of mine, who is a PSU grad, tells me that Penn State people close to the situation are floating a voluntary 'near death' penalty to the Big10 in hopes of averting a NCAA punishment.

The plan goes something like this....PSU will voluntarily cancel all non-conference games in 2012 & 2013. All conference games will be played on the road only during 2012 & 2013. Penn State will voluntarily removed itself from contention from any possible Big10 Championship games and bowls games at the conclusion of both the 2012 & 2013 seasons.

Penn State will also voluntarily accept a reduction of 10 scholarships per year in each of the next three years.

I'm uncertain is a plan like this would be acceptable to the NCAA but it makes sense that both PSU and the Big10 would be frantically working behind the scences to put this thing behind them. Switching conference games from Happy Valley to other conference venues would be a very easy fix logistically in most cases.

Dont buy it. No way do they give up the home games unless they are forced to shut down the program. that kills the local economy and volunteering that will not happen.

I'll believe it when it's public. I can see a punishment like that coming down eventually.. but by themselves voluntarily doing it seems like a stretch.

If PSU tries something like this, it will be as effective as Paterno saying he will retire at the end of the season.

That WAS effective. So effective, they FIRED him BEFORE the end of the season. Then the guy tops it all off by dying a couple months later.

See how that worked?

Latest posts