Proof that somebody from ESPN gets it

She makes some good points, pretty objective...imagine that. I have no problem with #9. Florida, however, has a legit gripe.

With non bias view, I'd have some questions about Iowa as a top 4-8 team. Not because of SOS to this point though, that's BS, as has been pointed out with fact. But more so "eyeball test". That said, they are absolutely a legit 9-12 level team right now, by any measure you want use, and they can play their way to top 4 by winning out.

Keep winning Hawks. Let's keep this convo going!!!

She makes some good points, pretty objective...imagine that. I have no problem with #9. Florida, however, has a legit gripe.

With non bias view, I'd have some questions about Iowa as a top 4-8 team. Not because of SOS to this point though, that's BS, as has been pointed out with fact. But more so "eyeball test". That said, they are absolutely a legit 9-12 level team right now, by any measure you want use, and they can play their way to top 4 by winning out.

We can't play our way up by winning. We can only move up by other team's losing. But if they put us higher now, we could play our way down to where we "should be" by losing. 2 things should matter right now, record and SOS. Right now we should be 3rd with the very likely potential to get passed up even if we win.

The thing is...you can't just attack a team's offense. If you're going to rank a team lower based on their offense, then why aren't you ranking teams lower based on their DEFENSE? Baylor gives up 25 points per game, TCU nearly the same amount.

If you "love" a teams offense, why dont you "love" a teams defense?

hypocricy abound

The thing is...you can't just attack a team's offense. If you're going to rank a team lower based on their offense, then why aren't you ranking teams lower based on their DEFENSE? Baylor gives up 25 points per game, TCU nearly the same amount.

hypocricy abound
It's like saying Transformers is a better movie than Schindler's List because it has more explosions.

The committee sent a really poor and irresponsible message that offense is more important than both defense and resume combined, rather than taking a team's cumulative abilities and quality wins into account.

People keep talking about the "eyeball test" First of all, I hate the eye ball test. This is a sport with a lot of teams so no body is watching every game. Second of all, eye balls are full or personal biases and there really isn't much you can take from personal viewing. Having said that, Iowa's offense isn't good and doesn't look good but our defense is the hardest hitting defense I've seen in football. We hit people hard and we do it very cleanly. We've mastered hitting through the whistle without getting penalized. There aren't a lot of teams that can survive the 60 minutes of physicality we can put teams through. That's a big passing of the eye ball test in my opinion.

I don't disagree with anyone's comments at all, but I think it's good that somebody from ESPN actually called Long on it. So if Arkansas ever gets there then it'll be interesting what the committee says. I saw on Dan Patrick that is was questioned too and that Iowa should be higher. Just her asking him the ?'s gets the Iowa argument for a "higher than #9" current ranking out there and people attacking Long & the "coaches in the room" lack of logic.

On BTN Live tonight, Pat Forde and Mike Hall were attacking the committee and Jeff Hall for their reasoning on Iowa. Good the National pundits who are not tied to ESPN are calling out the committee and Jeff Long!

We can't play our way up by winning. We can only move up by other team's losing. But if they put us higher now, we could play our way down to where we "should be" by losing. 2 things should matter right now, record and SOS. Right now we should be 3rd with the very likely potential to get passed up even if we win.

Can't say I agree that we should have opened the CFP rankings at 3. But, you are probably close enough. I'd put us ahead of the 1 loss teams and baylor, with the full understanding that they could jump us with better wins in future weeks.

Agree that our wins from here forward will allow us to hold serve, at best. We win, then wait for other teams to lose. We lose, we are then looking at the New years 6 (essentially a BCS bowl).

Can't say I'm worried about it either way ... but I'll be on a beach near the tropic of cancer (I think) by the time we kickoff against indiana - checking the score via wifi of course.

Can't say I agree that we should have opened the CFP rankings at 3. But, you are probably close enough. I'd put us ahead of the 1 loss teams and baylor, with the full understanding that they could jump us with better wins in future weeks.

Agree that our wins from here forward will allow us to hold serve, at best. We win, then wait for other teams to lose. We lose, we are then looking at the New years 6 (essentially a BCS bowl).

Can't say I'm worried about it either way ... but I'll be on a beach near the tropic of cancer (I think) by the time we kickoff against indiana - checking the score via wifi of course.

The reason I said 3rd is because we have the 3rd toughest strength of schedule of all the undefeated's. 1st place has the hardest strength of schedule of all the undefeated's. Makes sense. 2nd place has the second toughest strength of schedule of all the undefeated's. Makes sense. 9th place has the 3rd toughest strength of schedule. Makes sense.

People it's week 1 let the dust settle on the season, why are some of you getting so worked up??

People aren't worked up over where we're ranked so much. We're worked up over the stupidity used to explain it. Of course with our record and our strength of schedule up to this point, the only way to explain where we're ranked is to use stupidity. We would be sitting in 3rd right now if the committee didn't know which team had which resume. The prestige of a program should have absolutely nothing to do with where teams get ranked in week one.

It's at least understandable when the big time program like OSU sneaks past a TCU for money and ratings. But what does it hurt to give the little guy credit where credit is due in week 1? We have been 8-0 twice in program history. We won't be here often. Give us our number 3 ranking while we deserve it, then watch us fade away with our crappy remaining strength of schedule or when we lose like everyone knows we will. Alabama can have the spot back in a few weeks, or next year. Probably both. Don't give them the spot even when they don't deserve it. And don't deprive us of our once a decade at best chance to be a top 5 team.

The more they can get the committee members to blab their reasoning to the public, and seek the spotlight the better for us. The media and even espn crave controversy over all else as that drives interest, so look for the pundits to attack and take contrary opinions to anything said by committee members.

Disagree, but we will be 3rd if we win our last 5 games. If we win, we WILL play our way up. An undefeated Big Ten Champion will always have a spot in the final 4.

Disagree, but we will be 3rd if we win our last 5 games. If we win, we WILL play our way up. An undefeated Big Ten Champion will always have a spot in the final 4.

If you think we deserve to be 9th based on what we've done so far, how can you possibly think we deserve to pass teams ahead of us based on their remaining schedule and our remaining schedule? For example, in your opinion, how is it right to be behind Baylor and TCU based on all of our resumes to this point, but you think we deserve to pass them if we go undefeated through our remaining crap schedule and their remaining gauntlet of a schedule? If you think they deserve a spot above us now, you should definitely think they deserve one at the end of the year. As long as we are both undefeated of course.

hypocricy abound

Yup and it's because defense isn't what most fans pay to see or want to watch.... It's funny to listen to the talk cause thankfully it don't matter. I think the Big 12 will be on the outside looking in. If Clemson beats FSU this wk they have a smooth rest of the way in. LSU and Bama will knock one or the other out. However if Ole Miss wins out they'll win the SEC west so tell me how that computes if Bama wins. And OSU has 2 tough ones with MSU and Michigan. If Clemson was the only team of the current top 4 that make it I wouldn't be too surprised.

If you think we deserve to be 9th based on what we've done so far, how can you possibly think we deserve to pass teams ahead of us based on their remaining schedule and our remaining schedule? For example, in your opinion, how is it right to be behind Baylor and TCU based on all of our resumes to this point, but you think we deserve to pass them if we go undefeated through our remaining crap schedule and their remaining gauntlet of a schedule? If you think they deserve a spot above us now, you should definitely think they deserve one at the end of the year. As long as we are both undefeated of course.

Because an undefeated season means that we either beat OSU, MSU, or Michigan in the B1G Championship game, which then validates our undefeated record and justifies us being included in the final top-4. That's how.

Because Baylor and TCU play each other?