Proof that Iowa does not play Defense

According to Fran's postgame comments, Iowa lost due to playing poorly on the offensive end.

I'll bump of this. Coach, explain Rutgers then. This team has systemic problems beyond basketball. They obviously are not really united or cohesive. There are issues.

p6-dom-basketball.jpg

Exhibit #10:

Cell phone camera was discretely brought in capturing an Iowa Basketball practice early on in the season. Here we can clearly see Fran telling his players that scoring is far more important than defending the basket. Fran says, "Dammit, do as I say. You can't score, you can't win. As long as we are putting the ball in the (expletive) hole, that is all that matters!"

Dumbfounded Iowa players look back in response.

Last edited:
I shut off the game when I watched JBo one foot from the Out-of-bounds baseline fall for a fake while the guy drove baseline (like one foot of space) and JBo didn't move his feet an inch until the guy was almost completely by him. Positively the worst D I have ever seen. The player was going up for the layup before JBo even turned around. I have never shut off a Hawkeye game in my life, not even at my wedding reception,( Duke vs. Iowa in NCAA tourney), I have now done so twice this year. These guys are unwatchable. Even during the Lick years I watched. They competed! What is this team doing:??

I shut off the game when I watched JBo one foot from the Out-of-bounds baseline fall for a fake while the guy drove baseline (like one foot of space) and JBo didn't move his feet an inch until the guy was almost completely by him. Positively the worst D I have ever seen. The player was going up for the layup before JBo even turned around. I have never shut off a Hawkeye game in my life, not even at my wedding reception,( Duke vs. Iowa in NCAA tourney), I have now done so twice this year. These guys are unwatchable. Even during the Lick years I watched. They competed! What is this team doing:??

I remember top coaches, defensive coaches, like Knight, Lute, Wooden saying in interviews and tapes that 'you never give up the baseline". The reason being there is no defender on one side of the player and as a player drives the baseline your whole defense has to turn to the ball and play this driver. It totally leaves the other 4 opponents to move and find holes in your defense. These coaches wanted ball handlers funneled back to your teammates for help defense away from the basket. There are probably hundreds of video instances of Krafcisn, Waite, forwards like Boyle, Gannon and others blocking drives along the baseline.

I remember top coaches, defensive coaches, like Knight, Lute, Wooden saying in interviews and tapes that 'you never give up the baseline". The reason being there is no defender on one side of the player and as a player drives the baseline your whole defense has to turn to the ball and play this driver. It totally leaves the other 4 opponents to move and find holes in your defense. These coaches wanted ball handlers funneled back to your teammates for help defense away from the basket. There are probably hundreds of video instances of Krafcisn, Waite, forwards like Boyle, Gannon and others blocking drives along the baseline.
I am pretty sure I learned that in 3rd grade. I don’t get how these players and coaches struggle with it.

Latest posts