Proof of a lost generation of Iowa basketball fans

I have taken my then 11 year old son to one game - last year's OT win over Wisconsin. I want him to keep that memory, so it will be a while before he goes again.

Hmmm...When I was growing up in the early 90's and I went to visit my cousins in Iowa. I remember I was always Woolridge and my cousins would always be Settles or Kingsbury(man I loved the King and his often sporadic but game winning daggers). I think it will turn around when they start winning again though. It's not like anybody outside of Iowa, Illinois, and parts of Missouri and Minnesota and maybe SD ever really went for Iowa basketball anyway. I grew up in Texas and went for Iowa athletics because my dad ***HIGHLY*** encouraged it('78 UI alum). True Iowa fans are still watching most of the time even though they are grimacing when they do and casual fans will come back when they start winning again...who needs fairweather fans anyway? BTW I wasn't allowed to go for anybody else growing up(at least not openely)...if you think I'm joking then think again. I know if I have a son then I won't allow him to do it either...or at least not in my home. I could care less what a daughter would think of Iowa athletics.

I remember the glory days growing up. I still can remember when Iowa drew George Washington in the 1st round of the NCAA tourny. That was an insane game and I remember I was only like 7 or 8 and I Got to stay up to watch the whole thing! Then they ran into I think Kentucky or Kansas the next round.

I miss those days of sitting glued to the TV and watching who the hawks were going to be playing. I remember trying to find information at school through books and sports magazines about Iowa's opponents. (Went to a poor school we didn't get our first computer until I was in the 6th grade) I loved it, and sadly I don't think this generation will experience anytime soon!

At least UNI is holding up the state of Iowa in some terms. Now they need to win though to make it in, if they lose today to drake, their NIT bound!

Take your kids to a Iowa wrestling meet. Its a sport that needs new fans. They are always exciting and a great atmosphere. Also they always win :).

I remember the glory days growing up. I still can remember when Iowa drew George Washington in the 1st round of the NCAA tourny. That was an insane game and I remember I was only like 7 or 8 and I Got to stay up to watch the whole thing! Then they ran into I think Kentucky or Kansas the next round.

I miss those days of sitting glued to the TV and watching who the hawks were going to be playing. I remember trying to find information at school through books and sports magazines about Iowa's opponents. (Went to a poor school we didn't get our first computer until I was in the 6th grade) I loved it, and sadly I don't think this generation will experience anytime soon!

At least UNI is holding up the state of Iowa in some terms. Now they need to win though to make it in, if they lose today to drake, their NIT bound!

That George Washington game was a classic and I'll always remember that one. It was Arizona they played in the 2nd round, and had to play them in Tempe of course. Yeah, that GW game was the evening game, first of the two night sessions I believe, and I also remember Purdue coming this close to losing in the first round to 16-seed (W. Carolina?) that same night. After the Iowa game, we watched Pete Carrill and Princeton knock of UCLA in the first round. That was a great night of hoops!

I remember I was in 6th grade, and my teacher brought in a t.v. so we could all watch Iowa pound Rutgers in the 1989 NCAA Tournament.

Oh the fun of watching the Hawks in the NCAA Tournament. The anticipation of waiting all day for the selection show was almost unbearable, and I sure do miss it.

My neighbor's son is a sophmore and a typical small town four sport athlete. He loves playing basketball but he is a devoted Hawkeye football fan. I was telling him when I was his age Iowa basketball was all the rage (tail end of Lute era). He has no interest in Iowa basketball. He is a big North Carolina fan.

I don't see any kids wearing Hawkeye basketball gear. Although the record may get better, it is going to be very hard to get folks passionate again.

Latest posts