Program Regression, Exhibit A

We will recruit, improve. We will never have the talent to not play well and win. Accept that fact.

We will??? How has that worked out for us the past several years when we were coming off of decent 8 and 9 win seasons???? You think we are going to recruit good players by posting 6 wins, losing to the laughing stocks of the Big 12 and BIG??? Wow...take off your black and gold tinted glasses and join us here in reality. This team is going to be BRUTAL...as in brutally bad for the next several years as long as these schemes don't change.

Please stop with the extreme negativity. We will recruit, improve. We will never have the talent to not play well and win. Accept that fact.

Never have the talent to not play well and win? Wow, our coaching staff really has you convinced we are some mediocre program where no one wants to come and play and we should feel "honored" to beat TN Tech, LA Monroe and limp through a season and go 6-6 and 7-5. Then our fat cat coaching staff gets even more content with more contract extensions so they aren't "negatively recruited against" without 4-5 year shelf lives on their contracts..you know so they can continue to bring in kids from Humboldt and Solon and Keokuk and Des Moines Lincoln and Denison...and them remind us how we "get the most of the least all the time." Heck, those guys are coming to Iowa even if my neighbor and I are coaching in Iowa City!

I love the fact we put guys in the NFL, I just look at our roster right now and don't see a whole lot of that taking place in the next few years. I may be wrong, but then all we have is a bunch of 7-5 and 6-6 records to show for all that NFL talent...

We will never have the talent to not play well and win. Accept that fact.

This is a complete crock of $h!t. Iowa has had the 3rd most players drafted into the NFL the past few years of any program in the country.

Don't give me this "we don't have the talent" baloney. Maybe not THIS year, but we HAVE had the talent to compete in the past.

This is an old and tired excuse for losing.

Other than that, I would say that pretty much every program in the country could play poorly and lose.

This is a complete crock of $h!t. Iowa has had the 3rd most players drafted into the NFL the past few years of any program in the country.

Don't give me this "we don't have the talent" baloney. Maybe not THIS year, but we HAVE had the talent to compete in the past.

This is an old and tired excuse for losing.

Other than that, I would say that pretty much every program in the country could play poorly and lose.

I completely agree. Fans that believe this are just as content as our graying coaching staff that can't put B1G caliber talent on the field.

while i agree about the complacency comment about this staff, i disagree about recruiting, we have the chance to land 6-7 4* recruits this year 3 alone on defense, as i pointed out in another thread we have 8 freshmen D-linemen on the current roster, we will be very young next year, Bigach, Gaglione, Castilo, Hyde, Sleeper and Swanson will be Seniors, that is just 6 players total off the Defense, at this point only one is a starter;
that being Hyde
the offense we lose; Tobin, McMillan, Reiff, Ferentz, Heiar, Derby, Staggs, Davis, Nielson, Gimm, Vandy, Weinke and Mossbrucker, this is 13 players that graduate, with 4 that are starters Reiff at this point may or may not come back as i missed the departing players intro, otherwise we have Reiff, Ferentz, Vandy and Davis, that makes 19 total with 7 total starting,
we will be young but we are looking at incoming class that has the potential to have 6-8 4* players on it, of the 19 seniors i have no idea how many have schollarships, or how many are walk-ons
it is the HC who needs to change his style on offense to a more wide open style and if there is a coaching change i hope that Norm Parker retireof is of his choice and nothing more, and he to changes his style of Defense

we dont have bad players, we are just a little outmatched (size, speed, power, etc.). Just a down year for us...

agree with the last two post. Us Hawkeye fans need to learn to have more realistic expectations and then the sky wouldn't be falling so much.

agree with the last two post. Us Hawkeye fans need to learn to have more realistic expectations and then the sky wouldn't be falling so much.

You can't become a great team by having mediocre expectations and being content with "average". I understand we can't realistically expect to go undefeated every year, but why shouldn't we expect to be playing for the B1G championship the last week of the season each year?

We need to have high expectations and raise the bar... unless we are content with being average...

I've said this before... It starts with the coaching staff. They need to have these expectations to raise the bar. To not lose to bad teams and say "that's football" but to come out hungry each week, expecting to win, and ensuring that we do what we need to make it happen. If we get beat by a better team or luck wasn't on our side that day... then so be it, but losing to garbage teams due to lack of preparation is not ok with me. Some may disagree, but that is my opinion.

i want to dominate and be in the BCS every year, but I know that when it doesn't happen, it doesn't mean that it was absolutely the coaches fault. If these same coaches can take us to wins against Florida, LSU, GT, South Carolina, Missouri, Michigan, Penn State, etc. in the past I know that they can do it again. Two bad years, lets hope we have good years in the future...

that said...i dont know how much NOrm is giving us these days. To be a D1 coach you have to be healthy enough to put in the hours, probably time for a new D coord. Thanks for those amazing D's you gave us in the early 2000's Norm. I remember wating many games challenging a team to run at our D knowing they were going nowhere.

Watched the local newscast last night, they interviewed several players and the common theme was 'we were not ready to play'. Not sure how to take it, literally or athletes rattling off cliches. If they actually meant what they said, then that is awful disturbing.

Latest posts