Probably a dumb ? but.....

SDK46

(My apologies if this has been discussed...guess I missed it)....but...

Why isn't the Big-10 entertaining offering ISU?

Seems a logical consideration given the geography (closer to Big-10 schools than Nebby or Mizzo), fan support (yes, they are passionate about their teams), academics (say what you want but the Ag and Engineering programs are excellent), status of the other major programs (BB has done better in the NCAA's than Iowa since 2000, and wrestling is excellent), and a natural rivalry with a current Big-10 team (Iowa).

My only negative thought would be the powers-that-be don't consider them to be a "strong" FB program, but then again, Mizzo isn't either.

What am I missing?

That's pretty easy. ISU doesn't bring any added $ to the Big Ten. The reason for the Big Ten to add more teams is money and ISU would bring little if any of that to the Big Ten. I would guess ISU would be about as low on the pecking order as one school can get. That's not a shot at ISU just a fact.

For a team to come into the Big Ten they will have to be able to add around another $15 to $20 million a year in tv revenue and other sources of revenue so all the current teams will be at their current share of around $22 million a year and there is no way ISU would be able to do this.

Good points Scott, Jehova and Hoffa....my only counter point would be....does Nebby bring a lot of TV sets to the discussion? Seems to me, once you get west of Lincoln, there's more cattle than people. Dunno...not trying to be smart...just seems like Nebby, while a FB legend, has fallen a bit lately and other than FB, doesn't seem to bring much more than ISU would...then again, the dollars they can bring must be considerable.

Good points Scott, Jehova and Hoffa....my only counter point would be....does Nebby bring a lot of TV sets to the discussion? Seems to me, once you get west of Lincoln, there's more cattle than people. Dunno...not trying to be smart...just seems like Nebby, while a FB legend, has fallen a bit lately and other than FB, doesn't seem to bring much more than ISU would...then again, the dollars they can bring must be considerable.

Nebraska brings way more to the table than ISU. ISU literally brings nothing. Nebraska doesnt have a lot of tv sets but they still have national cache whereas ISU has as much national cache as Northern Iowa

I think Nebby sells better when negotiating TV contracts... more national appeal. Just not a lot of national call for ISU coverage... :)

Good thing then this discussion wasn't occuring during the 60's and 70's....ISU would have been courted and Iowa would have been the step-child. Timing, it seems, is everything.

Yea and I would argue that 15-20m estimate won't even get it done. If a team only (i say only in relative terms) brings that much to the b10- the rest of the conference is going to be upset that they expanded and their share has gotten lower to support the added member(s). for a team to be a target, the b10 has identified that expanding with that team will increase the average per team payout from the current 22m/school- pretty sure isu doesn't add that capability.

Last edited:
I think Nebby sells better when negotiating TV contracts... more national appeal. Just not a lot of national call for ISU coverage... :)

I understand the argument as to not inviting ISU but then why Missouri they don't bring any more to tv than ISU.I would rather have ISU over Missouri since they backed out of our deal.

It's not the physical number of TV sets that matters, as evidenced by the value placed on Notre Dame. The Big Ten already has two schools in Indiana, so adding ND wouldn't necessarily add a bunch of local TV subscribers (since they'd likely already have BTN). But there are Domers all over the nation (especially in NY) that could drastically expand the network's reach.

As for Nebraska, Frank the Tank recently evaluated the actual TV value of various expansion candidates. Here's what he concluded:

If the Big Ten wants to make a ton of TV money, it will invite Nebraska – I’ve been increasingly become more and more supportive of Nebraska joining the Big Ten lately and Patrick’s analysis completely sealed it. Nebraska’s small market be damned – the Husker fan base is as rabid as any other in the country and they will tune in anytime, anywhere. (If you were wondering, the photo at the top of this post is evidence of how Nebraska fans completely took over South Bend a few years ago when they played Notre Dame.) In fact, Patrick’s figures mean that we should remove Nebraska from the realm of “Well, they might be coming instead of Missouri†or “They’re a good back-up if Notre Dame doesn’t want to join†and put the Cornhuskers into the “lock†category instead. I will now officially be shocked if Big Ten expansion occurs without Nebraska involved.

Here's the link to the full article:

The Value of Expansion Candidates to the Big Ten Network FRANK THE TANK’S SLANT

I understand the argument as to not inviting ISU but then why Missouri they don't bring any more to tv than ISU.I would rather have ISU over Missouri since they backed out of our deal.

Mizzu gets us into the KC/St. Louis market...yes?.. maybe?... I'm basicaly just repeating what I've heard on this site. :eek:

There was a great article on the value of potential Big Ten additions. Nebby actually showed up really high, because they do very well in national ratings. While their added basic cable customers in NE might not be that of other areas, they project to bring in a good amount in advertising, which is actually one area where the growth is more fluid than basic or premium cable customers.

Plus, Nebby fans will help fill BTN West football stadiums.

As everyone else has said, ISU would actually end up costing each team in the Big Ten money, because BTN profits would have to be split among a team that would not carry it's own financial weight.

It isn't a stupid question, just an uniformed question and one that you could have easily answered with even a cursory glance at the threads on this board.

You already have all the tv sets in Iowa with the Big 10 Network. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

Yea and I would argue that 15-20m estimate won't even get it done. If a team only (i say only in relative terms) brings that much to the b10- the rest of the conference is going to be upset that they expanded and their share has gotten lower to support the added member(s). for a team to be a target, the b10 has identified that expanding with that team will increase the average per team payout from the current 22m/school- pretty sure isu doesn't add that capability.

You also have to remember that a championship game now will produce about another $30 million as well that wasn't available to the Big Ten before.

You seriously think Missouri, with the whole state to themselves, with the St. Louis and Kansas City T.V. markets, won't bring more T.V. sets than ISU? How many ISU fans do you think exist? I bet Mizzou brings twice the T.V. sets as ISU, and 4 times the purchasing power (meaning wealth of the fan base).

And then let's look 20 years into the future. Kansas City, Columbia, Jefferson City, St. Louis growth vs. Ames and 1/5 of Des Moines growth. Missouri's potential blows Iowa State out of the water.

Last edited:
There was a great article on the value of potential Big Ten additions. Nebby actually showed up really high, because they do very well in national ratings. While their added basic cable customers in NE might not be that of other areas, they project to bring in a good amount in advertising, which is actually one area where the growth is more fluid than basic or premium cable customers.

Plus, Nebby fans will help fill BTN West football stadiums.

As everyone else has said, ISU would actually end up costing each team in the Big Ten money, because BTN profits would have to be split among a team that would not carry it's own financial weight.

It isn't a stupid question, just an uniformed question and one that you could have easily answered with even a cursory glance at the threads on this board.

Ouch...c'mon now...it was a legit question, and frankly, I don't have time to read through hundreds of replies in a dozen threads. You had a very nice response until your last sentence. :confused:

Ouch...c'mon now...it was a legit question, and frankly, I don't have time to read through hundreds of replies in a dozen threads. You had a very nice response until your last sentence. :confused:

Just had to give you that little poke. All in good fun. :rolleyes: