Primary Season Goals Still in Reach

ChosenChildren

It seems to me that Iowa football at the present time has two primary goals each season: (1) Win the West Division Title; and (2) Play in a good bowl game at the end of the season.

Barring a complete collapse, Iowa has already qualified for a good bowl game. That goal is secured.

Regarding the West title, Iowa will go into the end of October at least tied for the lead. That is different than many past seasons. We have 5 games left; we are good enough to win all 5 or we can certainly lose some or all of them. The teams are evenly matched.

We have a very good defense and a very young, developing offense. I'm very happy with this team and hope we can win 4 of the next 5. I believe that winning 4 more will be good enough to win, or at least tie for, the Big West title.

I'm going to enjoy the rest of the season and take what comes. We have a fine coaching staff and a bunch of great kids on that team.

It seems to me that Iowa football at the present time has two primary goals each season: (1) Win the West Division Title; and (2) Play in a good bowl game at the end of the season.

Barring a complete collapse, Iowa has already qualified for a good bowl game. That goal is secured.

Regarding the West title, Iowa will go into the end of October at least tied for the lead. That is different than many past seasons. We have 5 games left; we are good enough to win all 5 or we can certainly lose some or all of them. The teams are evenly matched.

We have a very good defense and a very young, developing offense. I'm very happy with this team and hope we can win 4 of the next 5. I believe that winning 4 more will be good enough to win, or at least tie for, the Big West title.

I'm going to enjoy the rest of the season and take what comes. We have a fine coaching staff and a bunch of great kids on that team.
Even the playoffs is not completely out of reach yet. The Wisconsin game will tell a lot if this team can get back off the mat and re-establish itself.

if someone said, hey, after 7 games, Iowa is gonna be 6-1. I would have taken it. I would imagine in my head Iowa being either in the top 10 in that scenario or just outside of it.

all that said, it's ok to feel disappointed. Once they started 6-0, it was ok to dream, it was ok to want more. I did.

I have also said that the coaches and teams always have winning the Big 10 as a major goal. You have to have a goal of winning your conference.

The loss saturday to me says go have fun players and I hope the coaches try to have some fun also and run some good gadget plays to get the offense going. Goodson and IKM had good rushing averages against Purdue's loaded 8 men in the box defense.

I doubt if we see anyone like David Bell, with a offensive line that gave their QBs plenty of time to burn us, over the rest of the season. Play tighter on the pass coverage and stop the run. They will win some games.

I doubt if we see anyone like David Bell, with a offensive line that gave their QBs plenty of time to burn us, over the rest of the season. Play tighter on the pass coverage and stop the run. They will win some games.
Right now Purdue is the only threat. That may change, but it hasn’t yet.

Purdue still has to play OSU and MSU. They will most likely lose those two games.

Even the playoffs is not completely out of reach yet. The Wisconsin game will tell a lot if this team can get back off the mat and re-establish itself.
If we win out we will almost for sure be in the playoffs. Really the only thing that loss did was add the "almost" to the "for sure be in".

KOK is highly paid QB guru. The Hawks QB,S do not seem all that good. Average at best and backups not there yet. Yes, o-line is young and needs experience. Frustrating!

We ain't beating OSU in Indy.
Nope. I see OSU as Purdue on steroids. But, incurable optimist that I am, was kinda hoping Mich or MSU would be the team to represent the East. But lets win a few more games in the West, shall we?

Nope. I see OSU as Purdue on steroids. But, incurable optimist that I am, was kinda hoping Mich or MSU would be the team to represent the East. But lets win a few more games in the West, shall we?
I think winning the West is an attainable goal and should be an expectation for a team like Iowa. Unfortunately, winning the B1G is not until something happens to knock OSU down a few pegs. Almost all of their 2nd and 3rd stringers would start at Iowa, and I don't think it's realistic to think Iowa can or should be able to overcome that kind of depth.

I'm not a fan of the divisional system. It lets the championship come down to the result of a single game rather than the results of an entire season. If a team happens to have an off night or a key injury happens right at the end of the season, you're screwed.

If we didn't have a CCG, winning the Big Ten depending on schedule wouldn't be such an insurmountable task for anyone not named OSU. But it's equal footing for everyone so it is what it is.

C'est La Vie....

Minnesota can win the West if they win out. They hold a tie breaker with Purdue.

Purdue can win if Minnesota drops a game. Purdue's chances of winning out are tough with games against Wisconsin, Michigan State and Ohio State.

Minnesota still has a better chance with Iowa and Wisconsin as their tough games.

Iowa's goal of winning the West is still in reach. Losing to Wisconsin would just about end Iowa's chances.

We ain't beating OSU in Indy.
I wouldn't crown fOSU as East Champions just yet. They still have to play PSU, Purdue, MSU, and Michigan (at Michigan). They got beat by Oregon AT HOME. Oregon lost to Stanford and beat California by just one touchdown.

fOSU isn't the team they normally are, regardless of talent level. I won't be all that surprised if Mich, PSU, or MSU take the East. I would prefer the Hawks play Mich or MSU in the CCG if they end up making it that far, but if it is fOSU, bring 'em on...and bust out those black and gray uniforms if they do.