Preview, Prediction: Iowa-Minnesota Football

Was on the field covering that one. Watched the goal posts come down and covered my ears because they were blaring a siren over the PA to get people out of the Dome. Lasting memory.

Hawk fans gonna have to keep their beers in coolers just to keep it warm.
I went to a Vikings game at the dome a few years back when the high temp was -5. If you stood outside tailgating longer than five minutes, your beer turned to slush. Damn it was nice watching that game indoors!

On defense, Iowa has got to stack the box and during passing plays stay in lanes and keep that young, mobile QB in the pocket. Stop the run, stop the QB scramble, stop the pass. In that order. If the QB beats us from the pocket somehow, I will live with that.

On offense, Petras, even though he is a Cali kid, should be a smidge better at delivering the ball in the cold and wind given his hand size and arm strength. NO turnovers, no negative plays, move the chains at least once every drive, and wait for the D to set you up on short fields.

Our punter is clearly better. Only in the West is that a Top 3 factor to consider, but here we are.

Rob's prediction is about where I am at. Iowa wins and the total is under.

Is Tanner Morgan playing tomorrow? PJ is atrocious at releasing line-ups.

Answered my own question: Athan Kaliakmanis is starting. Between weather and Athan starting, Minnesota may not throw more than 15 times.

Last edited:
Is Tanner Morgan playing tomorrow? PJ is atrocious at releasing line-ups.

Answered my own question: Athan Kaliakmanis is starting. Between weather and Athan starting, Minnesota may not throw more than 15 times.
It's maybe a mixed bag, but I see this as a good thing. Athan will likely not have faced a secondary like the ball hawking hawks. Freeze gopher!

I went to a Vikings game at the dome a few years back when the high temp was -5. If you stood outside tailgating longer than five minutes, your beer turned to slush. Damn it was nice watching that game indoors!
NW 2018 was in the teens, we walked back to our tailgate around 6:30 or 7:00-ish to find our tailgate neighbors pretty upset. The guy who drove left a bar case of Heineken bottles on the passenger seat that morning and I’d say 10-15 of them blew up. Fairly new 4 Runner. He had the cardboard half-lids of the case torn off so it was all over the headliner, the dash, both seats, center console…

I was at the Purdue senior day game in IC a few years back when it snowed like 9 inches the night before the game. Security wasn't really checking anything and the guy in front of me pulled out a full 5th of Jack out of his coat, set it in the snow bank next to our seats and announced it was for everyone. We passed that sucker around and it was gone by the second quarter.

I am not a big cold football guy, but I love snow football. Would have loved to see that Buffalo game go off in Buffalo on Sunday with three feet of snow falling.

I was at the Purdue senior day game in IC a few years back when it snowed like 9 inches the night before the game. Security wasn't really checking anything and the guy in front of me pulled out a full 5th of Jack out of his coat, set it in the snow bank next to our seats and announced it was for everyone. We passed that sucker around and it was gone by the second quarter.

I am not a big cold football guy, but I love snow football. Would have loved to see that Buffalo game go off in Buffalo on Sunday with three feet of snow falling.
I was at that game too. The worst part of it was that they didn't clear any of the snow in the stands because it had been too recent. Where you stood turned into a big ice block and your feet were frozen for the whole game.

NW 2018 was in the teens, we walked back to our tailgate around 6:30 or 7:00-ish to find our tailgate neighbors pretty upset. The guy who drove left a bar case of Heineken bottles on the passenger seat that morning and I’d say 10-15 of them blew up. Fairly new 4 Runner. He had the cardboard half-lids of the case torn off so it was all over the headliner, the dash, both seats, center console…
At least they didn't have to drink that skunky ass beer.

I was at that game too. The worst part of it was that they didn't clear any of the snow in the stands because it had been too recent. Where you stood turned into a big ice block and your feet were frozen for the whole game.
Cold or wet feet are the worst. I can tolerate rain or cold for my job, high school or college games, etc. But once the feet are cold or wet, show's over.

If you've seen pictures of Buffalo's stadium, you would know that no football was going to be played there. Orchard Park is up to 59 inches and counting.

I remember when I went to Iowa I’d wear a tank top to November games but that cold gets in my bones now. Luckily it’s pretty easy to sneak in a flask of Old Grand Dad to stay warm

I remember when I went to Iowa I’d wear a tank top to November games but that cold gets in my bones now. Luckily it’s pretty easy to sneak in a flask of Old Grand Dad to stay warm
Well in Calif, Calif. "sunshine". Tequila. Broke? Cheap bottle with plastic lemon or lime... Coach likes back against wall. Hawks win with Coach Phil guys+picks..Offense is tough Enough huh?

Latest posts