Preview: Hawkeyes Look to Reverse Fortunes in State College

IMO this is a scary game that I think a lot of fans are writing off as a win based solely on Penn State's 0-6 conference record. However, Penn State has played a really tough conference schedule so far, and they only lost to Indiana by 2 at home.

Iowa could really use this win along with a weekend win vs Illinois...the schedule gets really tough after that.

IMO this is a scary game that I think a lot of fans are writing off as a win based solely on Penn State's 0-6 conference record. However, Penn State has played a really tough conference schedule so far, and they only lost to Indiana by 2 at home.

Iowa could really use this win along with a weekend win vs Illinois...the schedule gets really tough after that.

Dangerous game. I've covered games in that arena where there were like 5K fans and there's never any atmosphere. Visitors need to feed off their own energy, which can be harder than silencing a big crowd against them.

Penn State is not a pushover.

I don’t think any Iowa fans are chalking up a game as a sure victory especially after the Bryant game.

It’s also important to point out that last year’s PSU team went 21-13 in the regular season and then won the NIT. This year’s team is not nearly as good. That doesn’t mean they can’t win but it’s a much less talented team.

I don’t think any Iowa fans are chalking up a game as a sure victory especially after the Bryant game.

You might be right. I just think casual fans or non-iowa fans see the 0-6 record next to Penn State, and the ranking next to Iowa's name and think: Easy. However, Vegas believes this one will be tight and ESPN's FPI has this game as a 50/50 split.

Kenpom/Sagarin Composite:

upload_2019-1-16_13-37-27.png

Kenpom:

upload_2019-1-16_13-38-19.png

Summary:
  • Iowa is much more efficient on offense (top 15 in the nation)
  • Penn State has been more efficient on defense (top 20 in the nation)
  • Iowa plays at a faster pace
  • Based on the current NET rankings:
    • This is a Q2 game for Iowa
    • This is a Q1 game for Penn State
Like others have mentioned, Iowa should win this game but it definitely is no gimme.

Last year is gone, but I still have worries with any road game. The team doesn't seem to be taking teams for granted this year for the most part. I still seem to be holding my breathe on each game though.

Keep the defense where it has been the last two games and I feel confident. If we attack inside and get other team into foul trouble. Seems like an easy way to success with several other factors.

Iowa has a tendency of getting blown out in away games. If they do win its usually a close game.
The other option is blowing them out on the road, which isn't easy.

We did do it Nebraska a few years ago though. Miles was so pissed he banned his players from team facilities.

Iowa has a tendency of getting blown out in away games. If they do win its usually a close game.
With the team seemingly "owning" a team defensive strategy is it possible (or a wish/hope/delusion) that Iowa might be able to deliver a string of surprising up side wins! Overachieving? Drastic improvements?

Dangerous game. I've covered games in that arena where there were like 5K fans and there's never any atmosphere. Visitors need to feed off their own energy, which can be harder than silencing a big crowd against them.

Penn State is not a pushover.
They can really lull you to sleep over there. And I agree that big time players like the challenge of silencing a hostile crowd.

I've had this game circled. They dominated us twice last year in every way, bullied us, pushed us around, laughed in our face.

Carr and Garner are gone. That front court remains but this would be a good test to really see how much toughness we've attained this year. I've seen good signs in the last three games, as well as some December games.

Getting blown out by a last place team is really not an option for a supposed Dance worthy team. PSU is not good otherwise they would update have notched a conf. win or two already. This one has to be a W.

Whats the weather in Penn.? Will there b a gm tonight?