Pretty Amazing Podolak Comment on 2010 Iowa Team...

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Podolak just said on Two Guys Named Jim that the 2010 Iowa football team has more talent than any Iowa team in his 30 years as an Iowa broadcaster.

Wow.

Yikes! Talent, high expectations.....normally ends up being a letdown. Let's hope that doesn't happen this year!

I would fully agree with this statement, what makes this team unique compared to past teams is the talent at the skill positions, the level of our star type players (like a clayborn) and the depth of this team, where if there is an injury at any position we can replace them without losing a whole lot, versus in the past, where it could derail a whole season

I would fully agree with this statement, what makes this team unique compared to past teams is the talent at the skill positions, the level of our star type players (like a clayborn) and the depth of this team, where if there is an injury at any position we can replace them without losing a whole lot, versus in the past, where it could derail a whole season

I would agree that the skill position players might be the best in the last 30 years, but I am still very nervous about our offensive line.

Now, if Bulaga and Spievey would have came back, then I would have said this Iowa Football team would have been the greatest team ever, at least on paper.

I would agree that the skill position players might be the best in the last 30 years, but I am still very nervous about our offensive line.

Now, if Bulaga and Spievey would have came back, then I would have said this Iowa Football team would have been the greatest team ever, at least on paper.

I can see how a lot of people would be worried, and to be honest that should probably be a worry going into every single season regardless of the team, because a season will go as the Oline goes. I'm not worried about this team because the new guys that are in that top set are veteran players, mostly jrs, which means they know the system and I think they will be fine, second, lots of talent on the line, mostly with some young guys, but I think there is a lot of talent, like the macmillans and bofelli and van slotten. I believe the key to success for this line will be not the talent, but keeping a consisten 5-7 players who see the field and allow the line to gel together. I thought last years line was extremely talented, and did play very well. I think it wasn't what people fully expected because there were too many moving parts with injury and early suspension. Everyone saw what the time to gel and be healthy resulted in during the Orange Bowl.

OK, listen. I love Eddie, but that's a pretty remarkable statement to be making about a team that no one has even seen play a single game yet. 2002 (the team no one saw coming) can happen just as easily in reverse. Just sayin'.

OK, listen. I love Eddie, but that's a pretty remarkable statement to be making about a team that no one has even seen play a single game yet. 2002 (the team no one saw coming) can happen just as easily in reverse. Just sayin'.

Just a hunch but Eddie might have a good football eye :)

Most guys on this team obviously played SIGNIFICANT roles on last years team....and many on the 08 team.

I'll continue to temper my expectations until we see what the O-line does, but it sure does mean a lot to hear a comment like that from Ed Podolak.

Lets hope he's right.

I think what I'm looking for is to see who steps up as the leader of this team. I know Stanzi is a leader to a point, but I'm talking about the guy who will step up and be more of an enforcer. We've had two great ones the last couple of years in King and Angerer. These guys weren't afraid to butt heads in the locker room. We're gonna need someone like them to step up again this season. Although I'm not sure who it is going to be.

A lot of the "talent" on the 2010 team were also on the squad in 2009. The good news there is that the 2009 squad went BCS bowling and WON! The bad news is that the '09 squad was also dangerously close to being an 8-5 team too.

That is a remarkable statement and it comes from a very keen observer of the game, and of the Hawks. I see it as a (very) early indication of the good things to come.

A lot of the "talent" on the 2010 team were also on the squad in 2009. The good news there is that the 2009 squad went BCS bowling and WON! The bad news is that the '09 squad was also dangerously close to being an 8-5 team too.

I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Hopefully, the close games turn into blowouts, and when the team does get into a dogfight, the majority of the team that learned how to win close games in the last few weeks of 2008 is still around. We all saw how that paid dividends last year, and there is no reason to think it won't this year. We've also seen that this team can take a punch, shake it off, and come back.

I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Hopefully, the close games turn into blowouts, and when the team does get into a dogfight, the majority of the team that learned how to win close games in the last few weeks of 2008 is still around. We all saw how that paid dividends last year, and there is no reason to think it won't this year. We've also seen that this team can take a punch, shake it off, and come back.

Good post. Two years of close games is a good thing. Those teams never showed panic in the close games and I do believe the offense puts it all together and gets in the groove this year and puts some games out of reach before the 4th quarter.

Gary Dolphin was on WMT on friday and was talkin about how Eddie Podalak told him before the Michigan game that Forcier would fumble because the kid was young, was from a warmer climate, and not used of the cold. That coupled with the fact that he has small hands and the ball gets slippery @ night in the cold.

Forcier did indeed fumble as we all know.

He also predicted to Dolph that once we were up 14 points on Georgia Tech that we had the game in the bag because they would not be able to overcome the deficit with our defense.

Right again.

I think Eddie has a very good eye for the game & to hear this coming from him is a good sign.

Eddie also predicted the play that put Stanzi out of the NU game last year. He's always doing stuff like that.

Gary Dolphin was on WMT on friday and was talkin about how Eddie Podalak told him before the Michigan game that Forcier would fumble because the kid was young, was from a warmer climate, and not used of the cold. That coupled with the fact that he has small hands and the ball gets slippery @ night in the cold.

Forcier did indeed fumble as we all know.

He also predicted to Dolph that once we were up 14 points on Georgia Tech that we had the game in the bag because they would not be able to overcome the deficit with our defense.

Right again.

I think Eddie has a very good eye for the game & to hear this coming from him is a good sign.

I don't think there are many teams who would be able to come back from 14 down on Iowa, especially not in the second half. Most teams aren't patient enough to take what the Iowa defense will give them.

Well, maybe Northwestern.

Latest posts