Pretty Amazing Iowa Football Stat

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
For the last decade, Iowa has been a Top 15 football program (actually 18th in winning percentage during that span, but I toss out Boise State, TCU and Utah because they simply don't play weekly competition the way Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, Pac 10 and ACC schools do).

We all know that Iowa hasn't lost a game by more than a touchdown since the Western Michigan game to close the 2007 season. The last time Iowa lost a game by more than double digits was that same season, 31-6 at Purdue on 10/20/07.

Granted, that is not an end all be all stat, but given that Iowa plays in one of the premiere leagues in the sport, it's pretty salty.

But wash that stat down with some of these:

Michigan had six double digit losses just last year and has had 17 double digit losses since Iowa's loss to Purdue in 2007.

Penn State had five double digit losses last year and has had nine double digit losses since Iowa's last double digit loss.

Ohio State has had three double digit losses in that span, while Wisconsin has had seven.

Michigan's State's two losses last year, to Iowa and Alabama, were by 31 and 42 points and they have had seven double digit losses since Iowa's last.

New Big Ten member Nebraska has six, including a 7th on the date that Iowa last lost by double digits.

For the other programs in the Big Ten not listed, they have double digit double digit losses since then.

How about notable programs outside the Big Ten?

Texas? They had three last year

Oklahoma? 33-19 loss to Texas A&M last year

Florida State? Nine since 10/20/07

Alabama? 35-21 to South Carolina last year.

Florida? Three last year

LSU? Four since 10/20/07

USC? Four since 10/20/07

Notre Dame? Six since 10/20/07

In fact, every school listed in the Top 25 in winning percentage over the last 20 combined football seasons has lost at least one game by double digits since 10/20/07, even Boise State, who is #3 in winning percentage during that span and has played a weak conference slate...TCU has as well.

Iowa has not lost a football game by double digits in its last 43 trips to the gridiron, which is the longest such streak in the sport.

Granted, any of us would trade an 11-1 Big Ten title season with that one loss being by double-digits for this 'manufactured' statistic, and I won't sit here and create a banner to wave with these stats on it.

However, it just goes to underscore that we are witness to the most competitive era of Iowa football since the 1920's and this is the longest such streak in school history.

Take from it what you will...some will be amazed, others will shrug their shoulders and just be reminded of unmet expectations in 2010...

Yet I don't think it can be entirely discounted when you factor in the league Iowa plays in, the foes it has seen on the field and the way it has represented itself.

great detective work, I knew that we had the longest streak. just lacked the time to dedicate to the investigative work. This is what contributes to my game day anxiety because of the shear fact that I have always believed we will be in it down to the last possession.

fun stat to dig up would be how many times had we trailed by double digits during that time, then come back? (only if you have the time to look)

I know of two: '09 tOSU & '09 Indiana (I think)

Great find and research Jon. That had to take some time lol. Thanks

It did...it started with some twitter discussions, someone asked me when Iowa's last double digit loss was...so I looked it up and posted it...then they asked how that held up vs other teams in the nation...so I went and ran a query on the best winning percentages over the past 20 years, and 10 years, then looked into each individual team's results since Iowa's last double digit loss, and came back and posted them in the thread.

It sure beats watching the Cubs lose again.

For the record Michigan St played Alabama last year not FSU.

Also worth noting is you predict Iowa will have 2 double digit losses this year. 1 at home vs Michigan, and 1 at Purdue.

great detective work, I knew that we had the longest streak. just lacked the time to dedicate to the investigative work. This is what contributes to my game day anxiety because of the shear fact that I have always believed we will be in it down to the last possession.

fun stat to dig up would be how many times had we trailed by double digits during that time, then come back? (only if you have the time to look)

I know of two: '09 tOSU & '09 Indiana (I think)

Coming back from double digits to win or back from double digits to lose by less than double digits?

Iowa was down double digits to AZ last year and lost by 7. I really don't want to look that up...cuz that's a REALLY red herring stat.

Coming back from double digits to win or back from double digits to lose by less than double digits?

Iowa was down double digits to AZ last year and lost by 7. I really don't want to look that up...cuz that's a REALLY red herring stat.

I hear ya on that. just thought we could brainstorm mor or less. plus, it would feel better for it not to be Western Michigan as our last loss with that size of deficit. If it was One of those top winning % teams it would be that much more cool.

I hear ya on that. just thought we could brainstorm mor or less. plus, it would feel better for it not to be Western Michigan as our last loss with that size of deficit. If it was One of those top winning % teams it would be that much more cool.

Here's a schedule...I'm sure we can brainstorm off of this.

2008:
Maine
FIU
Iowa State
Pitt
NW
MSU
Indiana
Wisc
Illinois - We were down 15 in this one
PSU - We were down 9 twice, but never double figures
Purdue
Minny
South Carolina

2009:
UNI
ISU
Arizona
PSU
Ark State
Michigan
Wisc - We were down 10-0 in this one, I think
MSU
Indiana - Famously down double digits here before coming back
NW
OSU - Down 14 in this one
Minny
Georgia Tech

2010:
Eastern Ill
ISU
Arizona - Down double digits here
Ball State
PSU
Michigan
Wisc
MSU
Indiana
NW
OSU
Minny
Missouri

I count 5...we were 2-3 in those games.

2008:
Maine
FIU
Iowa State
Pitt
NW
MSU
Indiana
Wisc
Purdue
Minny
South Carolina

2009:
UNI
ISU
Arizona
PSU
Ark State
Michigan
MSU
NW
Minny
Georgia Tech

2010:
Eastern Ill
ISU
Ball State
PSU
Michigan
Wisc
MSU
Indiana
NW
OSU
Minny
Missouri

good work, at first glance that probably is it.

Another interesting stat. The point spread on Michigan State's 2 losses last year (73) are more than Iowa's last 12 losses combined (49) spanning 3+ seasons. The oldest of the 12 losses being the Western Michigan loss in 2007.

For the last decade, Iowa has been a Top 15 football program (actually 18th in winning percentage during that span, but I toss out Boise State, TCU and Utah because they simply don't play weekly competition the way Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, Pac 10 and ACC schools do).

We all know that Iowa hasn't lost a game by more than a touchdown since the Western Michigan game to close the 2007 season. The last time Iowa lost a game by more than double digits was that same season, 31-6 at Purdue on 10/20/07.

Granted, that is not an end all be all stat, but given that Iowa plays in one of the premiere leagues in the sport, it's pretty salty.

But wash that stat down with some of these:

Michigan had six double digit losses just last year and has had 17 double digit losses since Iowa's loss to Purdue in 2007.

Penn State had five double digit losses last year and has had nine double digit losses since Iowa's last double digit loss.

Ohio State has had three double digit losses in that span, while Wisconsin has had seven.

Michigan's State's two losses last year, to Iowa and Alabama, were by 31 and 42 points and they have had seven double digit losses since Iowa's last.

New Big Ten member Nebraska has six, including a 7th on the date that Iowa last lost by double digits.

For the other programs in the Big Ten not listed, they have double digit double digit losses since then.

How about notable programs outside the Big Ten?

Texas? They had three last year

Oklahoma? 33-19 loss to Texas A&M last year

Florida State? Nine since 10/20/07

Alabama? 35-21 to South Carolina last year.

Florida? Three last year

LSU? Four since 10/20/07

USC? Four since 10/20/07

Notre Dame? Six since 10/20/07

In fact, every school listed in the Top 25 in winning percentage over the last 20 combined football seasons has lost at least one game by double digits since 10/20/07, even Boise State, who is #3 in winning percentage during that span and has played a weak conference slate...TCU has as well.

Iowa has not lost a football game by double digits in its last 43 trips to the gridiron, which is the longest such streak in the sport.

Granted, any of us would trade an 11-1 Big Ten title season with that one loss being by double-digits for this 'manufactured' statistic, and I won't sit here and create a banner to wave with these stats on it.

However, it just goes to underscore that we are witness to the most competitive era of Iowa football since the 1920's and this is the longest such streak in school history.

Take from it what you will...some will be amazed, others will shrug their shoulders and just be reminded of unmet expectations in 2010...

Yet I don't think it can be entirely discounted when you factor in the league Iowa plays in, the foes it has seen on the field and the way it has represented itself.

Great research and great job, Jon.

The post picked me up after the AH news and fiasco.

As for the poster... a win is a win, a loss or a loss.. not so much...

it's about being competitive and being in the game with a chance to win.

2008:
Maine
FIU
Iowa State
Pitt
NW
MSU
Indiana
Wisc
Purdue
Minny
South Carolina

2009:
UNI
ISU
Arizona
PSU
Ark State
Michigan
MSU
NW
Minny
Georgia Tech

2010:
Eastern Ill
ISU
Ball State
PSU
Michigan
Wisc
MSU
Indiana
NW
OSU
Minny
Missouri

Some more to add to the list:

Pitt - We were down 14-3 early in the 2nd quarter.
Michigan St - We were down 13-0 in 2008.
UNI - We were down 13-3 in the 3rd quarter.
Penn St - We were down 10-0 to start that game in 2009.

The things we do to idle away a long boring summer. Is it September yet? I've watched all 30 of my save Hawkeye games on DVD. There's nothing on BTN but University Showcase.
AAARG!!! I want to watch some live football!!

Thanks for the follow up Jon! I was watching the Insight bowl game on BTN tuesday night, and they showed a stat that all of Iowa's 5 losses were 4th quarter comebacks, and just made me start wondering when the last time Iowa really was dominated in a game. They have been very competitive now for a long time and I think that is why even in down years (8-5), we still feel very close to great things or like we have the best 5 loss team in the nation (yes i just said that :))

interesting stat. i agree, a loss is a loss and it doesn't matter by how many points. HOWEVER, its fantastic to see that IOWA is always in the game with a chance to win. we all know, sometimes you need to get lucky to go perfect through a season. 09, we were a couple plays away from being 8-4. as long as you keep the score close, you have a chance to make that play or get that break to win.

i really think this is part of what makes iowa football so fun and exciting to be apart of

We go to this stat alot guys. That being said, I'm proud of it. Not so much that it kind of lessens the disappointment of the losses, but it shows this team NEVER gets dominated and we are going to always be in games because of our physical style and preparation.

It's a testament to Ferentz's game planning and having his team ready to play, especially against the good teams.

Latest posts